BRPD chopper crashed and unknown for 8-9 hours that killed two officers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    That's the one they were almost scraping treetops with, and doing very sporty low-fast flying, a couple of years ago. They actually had a bunch of people complain about it because they were doing it over the same neighborhoods repeatedly and at all times of day and night.

I remember that being posted here.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Why are they making an issue of the tower being unmanned ? It's not the job of ATC to routinely check up on the helicopter to see if it made it home .
    it's the guns fault, remember? It's always someone else's fault...we've gotta blame other people & things for everything. It's the modern American way, anti-Personal Responsibility.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Not for or against the fella being charged in the cops death…. But if they were ordered to pull off and stop, then they get killed after that how is it on the perp? Like if I was getting a ticket, after I got the ticket and he let me leave, he does a u turn and gets hit it ain’t my fault … idk sad either way, I did see he was caught and 2 charges of manslaughter, and that nobody was in the ffa air traffic control tower from midnight to 5am…
    I get your logic, (not really. A ticket is not felony eluding) but they wouldn’t have been where they were if they hadn’t given chase.
    By that logic, would it not be the same if the perp said he didn’t know he was being chased? Still breaking the law, still requiring law enforcement to intervene. I hope the charges stick. Was he completely to blame? No. But just like some idiot illegally jumping off a building parachuting and getting stuck, risking the lives of rescue personnel attempting to save them. Root cause. Same when that girl driving the getaway car for her buds that got capped in that home invasion. Sounds fair to me.
    I don’t remember the case but there was a LEO killed in a pursuit years ago and the guy running was found guilty of some charge related to his death.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Why are they making an issue of the tower being unmanned ? It's not the job of ATC to routinely check up on the helicopter to see if it made it home .
    Sounds like BRPD pointing to the tower to the media to keep them from asking the hard questions. Like why dispatch didn't know where the helicopter and officers were.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Sounds like BRPD pointing to the tower to the media to keep them from asking the hard questions. Like why dispatch didn't know where the helicopter and officers were.
    It has nothing to do with the tower . It just doesn't . I don't know if they didn't follow protocol or if there isn't one to cover that . Either way , something has to change . Those Officer's families shouldn't be the ones initiating a search .

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I get your logic, (not really. A ticket is not felony eluding) but they wouldn’t have been where they were if they hadn’t given chase.
    By that logic, would it not be the same if the perp said he didn’t know he was being chased? Still breaking the law, still requiring law enforcement to intervene. I hope the charges stick. Was he completely to blame? No. But just like some idiot illegally jumping off a building parachuting and getting stuck, risking the lives of rescue personnel attempting to save them. Root cause. Same when that girl driving the getaway car for her buds that got capped in that home invasion. Sounds fair to me.
    I don’t remember the case but there was a LEO killed in a pursuit years ago and the guy running was found guilty of some charge related to his death.
    Ok ok I get your logic… play this one…. Cops are called to my house for what ever crime you wanna insert… in the middle of investigation they are called off for what ever reason… insert your reason… they pull outta my drive way and run into an 18 wheeler… not my fault… once they verbally and physically break away from a situation/call I would imagine they are “broke away”…. Just my silly thinking though

What’s silly is how hard they attempt to get outta trouble when they hit/kill a innocent civilian in a pursuit and only get paid leave or laid off for the same situation but in the other side of the table

Either way you play it, it’s a messed up situation, and can’t even fathom how a police helicopter can be out and about for 8-9 hours with “0” contact and that’s ok… not even a random check in, nobody at the station was like wow that choppers been out there for a long time, the should have been outta gas 4 hours ago, or why arnt they back yet, they haven’t been redirect to another call…

Thought they got all that fixed when that LE, was murderd by that psycho in prairieville and was in the car for 8 hours or so before they noticed …

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    What’s silly is how hard they attempt to get outta trouble when they hit/kill a innocent civilian in a pursuit and only get paid leave or laid off for the same situation but in the other side of the table
    Don't forget the position switches, early retirement, resigning, or if you're a real naughty one you go to a new department out of State!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How do you hit a tree at these altitudes?

Sun 02:35:52 AM​
    30.5033​
    -91.3282​
    → 103°​
    49​
    56​
    700​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:36:08 AM​
    30.5017​
    -91.3280​
    ↙ 218°​
    54​
    62​
    700​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:36:24 AM​
    30.4972​
    -91.3280​
    ↓ 157°​
    58​
    67​
    725​
    Descending
    Sun 02:36:42 AM​
    30.4955​
    -91.3303​
    ← 274°​
    85​
    98​
    675​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:36:58 AM​
    30.4983​
    -91.3347​
    ↑ 15°​
    76​
    87​
    750​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:37:15 AM​
    30.5023​
    -91.3299​
    → 75°​
    46​
    53​
    950​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:37:34 AM​
    30.5038​
    -91.3285​
    ↑ 15°​
    35​
    40​
    1,125​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:37:51 AM​
    30.5085​
    -91.3309​
    ↑ 359°​
    89​
    102​
    1,100​
    Climbing
    Sun 02:38:08 AM Arrival (LA46) @ Sunday 02:38:08 AM CDT
    fasource.gif
    FlightAware​
    Sun 02:38:08 AM​
    30.5108​
    -91.3290​
    ↙ 217°​
    26​
    30​
    1,300​
    Climbing

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ok ok I get your logic… play this one…. Cops are called to my house for what ever crime you wanna insert… in the middle of investigation they are called off for what ever reason… insert your reason… they pull outta my drive way and run into an 18 wheeler… not my fault… once they verbally and physically break away from a situation/call I would imagine they are “broke away”…. Just my silly thinking though

Either way you play it, it’s a messed up situation, and can’t even fathom how a police helicopter can be out and about for 8-9 hours with “0” contact and that’s ok… not even a random check in, nobody at the station was like wow that choppers been out there for a long time, the should have been outta gas 4 hours ago, or why arnt they back yet, they haven’t been redirect to another call…

Thought they got all that fixed when that LE, was murderd by that psycho in prairieville and was in the car for 8 hours or so before they noticed …
    Not so much my logic as it is the law. Who knows, maybe a good attorney can get that charge dismissed.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Charlie 12, which column is altitude? Is it total altitude or change?
    That R-22 tail rotor looks Very Exposed. Not the best safety record either. But that’s for the NTSB to say.
    From Wikipedia:
    Since the R22 received FAA certification in March 1979, Robinson has delivered 4620 R22 helicopters. The R22 had 182 fatal accidents between March 1979 and June 2010 from a total of 1230 incidents.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Not so much my logic as it is the law. Who knows, maybe a good attorney can get that charge dismissed.
    This is correct. If the person wouldn’t have fled then the aircraft wouldn’t have left the airport. Here’s the other thing that’s apparently going over some of the heads here, the ground units were ordered to terminate the pursuit, maybe for speeds, no headlights or whatever. The helicopter is what is used to track vehicles that ground units can’t, why would the helicopter have to terminate? Helicopters are used all over the country and world as a safer way to follow fleeing vehicles for the safety of the public.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

Oh really, you going with the “They” terminology? That’s disappointing.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That R-22 tail rotor looks Very Exposed. Not the best safety record either. But that’s for the NTSB to say.
    From Wikipedia:
    Since the R22 received FAA certification in March 1979, Robinson has delivered 4620 R22 helicopters. The R22 had 182 fatal accidents between March 1979 and June 2010 from a total of 1230 incidents.
    It's Course - kts - mph - feet - rate

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    From Wikipedia:
    You can see it in this link. Track log

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Oh really, you going with the “They” terminology? That’s disappointing.
    it’s a pronoun now… get with the program bro!!!! You gotta accept it lol, need to brush up on your code of ethics lol

Common gender pronoun’s

she
    her
    hers
    he
    him
    his
    they
    them
    theirs
    It’s

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Thanks Charlie 12. I didn’t get the header of the chart for some reason & when I went to the site, I didn’t find anything on it. Yeah, somethings off with that info.
    As for the Pronoun People
    77C07E21-E162-4EFB-8C99-8939B5EA50A2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom