Burl furniture...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I have some Live and Water Oak burls; and have my eyes on some incredible Red Oak burls that will be coming down from their sky perch soon.

Because what things are being sold for doesn't mean they are being bought, is there a real market for Burl accessories, and if so what did/would you pay for the accessory that is on your mind?

I've been toying with scales for pistol and revolver grips, AK furniture, and perhaps complete rifle stocks in either finished or raw form.

Burls have wild texture, is that what you like, or is it the appearance?

Thanks for your input.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Oaks in general, even more so burls, are terrible about checking. It’s the definition of starting with a lot while hoping to end up with a little.

The way you cut it for processing will have a dramatic impact on the finished appearance. You are after the appearance because the texture will be sanded away in most cases. I’ve only seen a couple examples of burl that were debarked and finished.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I would have never thought of using fruit wood as it is typically such a soft wood. Share a few pics of your work if you have some available.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    They are very lathe friendly.
    Poplar can be great when green, but you may get splitting when it dries.
    I turn green as much as possible because I like the texture and warping that appears when it dries. I'll work with myceliated and wood-destroying insect infested wood too.

Top Bottom