CCW scenario

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deuce2626

Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jul 21, 2023
    Slidell
    Mates,

In a real life situation, how likely is it we will have time to draw and squire our sights and if not what is the best training alternative?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I’d say 99.9% if you have good situational awareness and practice for situations and scenarios, drawing from a concealed holster for me… but 99.9% of people who conceal carry rarely shoot more than 200 times a year get more shooting time at their renewal of their concealed carry class than any practice they have done and never practice drawing from a holster, let alone, dry fire practice

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Walk around your house or property, getting in and out of your vehicle.... unloaded..... weapon, draw and dry fire a lot. Don't worry about squaring up and aiming. Don't worry about speed. Don't worry about a 2in group at 40yds. Draw, point and squeeze.
    A " real life situation " is likely to happen up close. 1 hit on the body of an assailant is worth more than 14 misses. Practice slow..speed will come with repetition .

You want to be able to safely , draw, point and squeeze without accidently shooting yourself or a loved one first, and that takes practice, again , with an... unloaded weapon and that includes ... re-holstering... your weapon

Bigchillin83 brings up probaly the most important thing. Be aware of your surroundings. Going to and from your home, in and out of your vehicle in parking lots and even stopped at a light . Don't matter how fast or accurate a shot you are if you let someone walk up behind you with a weapon in hand

*** And if you want to save money on ammo , they make full size and weight .22 cal. handguns or conversions for just about everything on the market.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    a real fun and efficient dry fire practice we do at my house is again... verify unloaded!!!! then verify 2-3 more times..

holster
    conceal with cover garment
    look at an item, clock, picture frame, light switch ect
    close eyes
    draw pistol
    aim/point at item you picked..
    open eyes and verify you are on target...
    dry fire..
    re verify empty chamber
    re holster
    repeat

again muscle memory... thats why i dont switch from 20 diff styles of guns to cc with.. if its a glock all grip angles and sight bore axis is the same.. they all point the same.. and same with the 1911...

it needs to be an extension to you hand.. you should be able to draw with your eyes closed, point at an item 10yrds away and be on target if not very very close...

you want to be like that seasoned craftsman you have seen working and your amazed as to how fast he works and ho can he do that task so fast...

example
    cement rebar tie man
    hand nailing roofer
    assembly line man
    ect ect

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I’m have had a handful of situations in my life where there has always been an exit.

You have to have your head on a swivel and off your cell phone.

Lots of situations can and should be avoided.
    correct me and the family dont do the "out to eat" a whole lot but when we do you would be surprised as to how many families, and i say families cause its from the 3year old to the 60 year old are glued to there phone the whole time at the table, or while waiting to buy movie tickets ect.. its sad to see how much that little device controls them and steals there attention and actual life and memories they could be making/having

deuce2626

Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jul 21, 2023
    Slidell
    I’m have had a handful of situations in my life where there has always been an exit.

You have to have your head on a swivel and off your cell phone.

Lots of situations can and should be avoided.
    Yes, I think I’m going to try this next time I go to the range. I just carry a little 380 in a pocket holster to get me away and or the family away from danger should I need. Hopefully never!!!

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    To help with your point & shoot practice , get a laser bore sight for your caliber and practice pointing without aiming.
    Wish they would have had them when I was growing up in the "way back when"

I learned the old timey way...:cool:

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Point Shoot & Fire several rounds.
    That would be my suggestion. Practice coming up on target, acquiring a good sight picture, and shooting. There's a good chance the time between coming up on target and acquiring a good sight picture will reduce a bit with training. After a while, you get used to the the gun's grip angle and weight and stuff and you learn to just "know" the handgun is pointed in the right direction. Then you should be able to shoot reasonably accurately at closer distances without having to slow down to acquire a good sight picture.

The key is it's tough to get better at point shooting by point shooting. You get better through deliberate aiming to build up muscle memory. Not all ranges allow you to draw from a holster but that's not completely necessary, especially at first. You can bring the gun up for a low ready in the beginning.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Use good form, make deliberate shots. Speed will come.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My training alternative is to be grumpy in public. Talk to yourself loudly and curse alot. Everyone will stay away from you then.

Dry training is great for muscle memory, you should be able to draw, present and be basically on target without using your sights. I like to pick an object in the room, wall switch, picture, lightbulb in the fan, etc and point aim at it, then check my sights and see how i am doing. Once you get comfortable with that start dry firing at said item. Of course, check to make sure your gun is not loaded, or you may end up with one less wall switch, picture or lightbulb. I caution against using the family pet as dry moving target practice. It seems to upset the other family members, especially if you are at someone else's house.

WatcherInLa

WatcherinLa
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Mates,

In a real life situation, how likely is it we will have time to draw and squire our sights and if not what is the best training alternative?
    In the dark, it will be a challenge for quick sight acquisition with any handgun. Of my 2 regulars, 1 has an ArmaLaser that is touch activated, the other has Trijicon, but I practice point and shoot to 7 yards.

MSST8DOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    To help with your point & shoot practice , get a laser bore sight for your caliber and practice pointing without aiming.
    Wish they would have had them when I was growing up in the "way back when"

I learned the old timey way...:cool:

Laser cartridges are the better choice over boresight lasers because they have a "rubber primer" that covers a switch and when the hammer or strike hits it the laser blinks and shows where the round would be hitting (if it traveled in a straight line with no drop). It was also surprising to see how much "wiggle" was in the gun when squeezing the trigger. I was able to shrink the wiggle from 5 inches to 1.5 after a week of practice.
    There are several brands but one that stands out in memory is "Pink Rhino" because it is such a weird name.

Top Bottom