Constitutionality Of LA Concealed Carry Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Is Louisiana's concealed carry law unconstitutional?

Just looking for input for a possible challenge to the state requirement for a permit in order to carry concealed.

As the fees and paperwork prerequisite to obtaining a Louisiana concealed carry permit are overly burdensome, perhaps they could be successfully challenged in lieu of a complete upset of the licensing requirement.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    i dont see how you could say they are burdensome, when the gun itself costs more.... if you cant pay the fees, probably cant afford the gun, is the counter arguement

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    This topic is probably best looked at in light of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which appears well on it's way to incorporation under the Fourteenth Amendment. What the Louisiana Constitution says may soon be irrelevant. Unfortunately, there is some language in the Heller decision which is supportive of the licensing of concealed carry.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I doubt they would find any of it to be unduly burdensome, since people are able to get them commonly now.

I think our permit process is unnecessarily burdensome, especially compared to other States, but I think our best bet is to rectify that legislatively rather than judicially.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    One tenant of the strict scrutiny of handgun restrictions resulting from Heller is that regulatory schemes must be made available at cost. The State of Texas makes a small fortune off it's CCW program. LA can't be far behind. Maybe under Governor Jindal the Legislature might be prone to modify the requirements for Louisiana concealed carry permits. Disclosure of an arrest that did not result in a conviction is the first one to eliminate.

Top Bottom