Cop car hit by Train w/ Suspect Inside!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Colorado LEO leave suspect in patrol car on Train Tracks! How Stupid can you be! They are all lucky they are not being charged with Negligent Homicide right now. What happened to Situational Awareness?
    Did you see the way that Train Swerve nto that cop car?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Genius. That's gonna cost the police department and their insurer 3 or 4 million. Maybe more.

It's going to cost the tax payers, probably (tens) of millions. The police department never pays, nor do the officers, it is 100% always the tax payers who pay. The Insurance company will foot the bill to tax payers too, through clever tax avoidance or fees.

We always pay.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    It's going to cost the tax payers, probably (tens) of millions. The police department never pays, nor do the officers, it is 100% always the tax payers who pay. The Insurance company will foot the bill to tax payers too, through clever tax avoidance or fees.

We always pay.
    I rarely use the words "always" or "never". They are absolutes. I'm really careful about it. Words matter imo, whether you speak them in person, or type them on a public forum.

Generally speaking, you are somewhat correct, but not "always". Insurance companies play the odds, it is a pool of sorts, statistical odds based on claims data. They collect premiums from the insured, and pay out when a valid claim has been presented. Or a settlement via litigation or a law suit.
    If they have a bad year, they may seek or demand higher premiums from their insured. Its like homeowner's insurance in Louisiana. They have to get approval for a rate increase from the state Commissioner of Insurance. Currently Jim Donelon.
    They had a really bad year in 2021 with Ida and the insurance companies are appealing for higher rates. So those who have policies (the insured) will pay, not directly the LA taxpayers. Why LA Citizens is appealing for a 63% rate increase effective Jan 2023 if approved. Trouble is we have had many "bad years" recently in Louisiana, the last 20 or so years.

Same thing happens with liability insurance, like the umbrella liability insurance PDs carry. Similar to the liability insurance I have on my home. If they pay a liability claim on behalf of the Fort Lupton Police Department in this case, the insurer could increase annual rates for the Fort Lupton Police Department in subsequent years, or across their pool of insured. Prob a combination of both will occur. But the taxpayers will not "always pay" the claim in full. The people of Fort Lupton will not directly pay out tens of millions as you state above. Nor will the taxpayers of CO directly pay it.

Big diff tho is the number of zeros. Where my personal liability insurance limit may be 1 mil, the insurance liability limit for a PD may be 500 million. But the same methodology of liability insurance applies. Coverages, premiums paid, claims filed.

Same for FEMA, they are fixing to jack up flood insurance premiums big time. The fed has been absorbing these losses lately and now its time to pass on the costs or increased liability to the insured. Via increased premiums. Its called FEMA Risk Rating 2.0

But back to municipal liability insurance. The local PD is funded by taxpayer dollars, city or parish (or county) tax dollars. So yes taxpayers will pay an increase, but not directly 10s of million if that amount is settled on, or ruled by a judge in litigation.

In your statement above, you are seemingly begrudged about the PD or officers paying for a liability claim. Do you think a guy working to protect our community should be personally liable if he makes a mistake? Or an error in judgement? Realize these guys (or gals) sometimes make critical decisions in split seconds. Sometimes life changing.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    On the subject of insurance, do you guys know or read it is estimated 1 out of every 6 vehicle drivers in south LA do not have valid liability insurance? Why is this allowed to occur? Why is LE in Louisiana soft on auto insurance enforcement in traffic stops?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Personally Liable and Insured, like the rest of us.

Not sure why LE is soft on insurance, but we have some of the highest rates in the country, and they say uninsured drivers is part of the reason.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Personally Liable and Insured, like the rest of us.

Not sure why LE is soft on insurance, but we have some of the highest rates in the country, and they say uninsured drivers is part of the reason.

It is directly, we pay when uninsured drivers get in a wreck and they are at fault. In NOLA the Cantrell sanctuary city, if you get stopped and have no proof of insurance, no problem. Keep on driving. Many who don't even have DL are given the same pass, undocumented illegals. Why I say f**k NO, I'm not going there any more, period. I will not spend another dime there. Banana republic, corrupt mayor, some cops are corrupt too, epic crime and violence. A broken criminal justice system with a backlog of 18 months. Revolving door justice has been perfected in NOLA. Oh and their newly elected Orleans Parish Sheriff is quite a winner too. For a few days she pulled all the officers out of the court building, and has been firing employees left and right. Some with no basis. Cantrell is catching major heat right now for her antics. Multiple issues.

You get stopped and have no valid proof of insurance, you're supposed to be cited and your vehicle impounded. Do not pass GO. Many cops throughout south LA cut em a break and send them on their merry way. Not just NO or BR.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You get stopped and have no valid proof of insurance, you're supposed to be cited and your vehicle impounded. Do not pass GO. Many cops throughout south LA cut em a break and send them on their merry way. Not just NO or BR.

Do you happen to know under what law the cops are required to impound a vehicle caught driving without insurance?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Do you happen to know under what law the cops are required to impound a vehicle caught driving without insurance?
    Damn, I woulda thought a cop would know the law. And you been at it for what 20 years?

But fear not, Manimal knows the law.

C.(1)(a) If the operator of a motor vehicle is unable to show compliance with the provisions of this Part by displaying the required document when requested to do so, the motor vehicle shall be impounded and the operator shall be issued a notice of noncompliance with the provisions of this Part on a form to be provided by the department.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    *further: I am 100% in favor of allowing LEO/LEA use personal discretion in enforcing laws where there are no active or known victims. There are many laws that should not exist, and the individual officers can be the first to protest and defy laws that violate the rights of the people.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    *further: I am 100% in favor of allowing LEO/LEA use personal discretion in enforcing laws where there are no active or known victims. There are many laws that should not exist, and the individual officers can be the first to protest and defy laws that violate the rights of the people.
    Sure, lets pick and choose which laws we are going to enforce. Lets be partial and decide on the spot who gets a pass and who doesn't. Isn't that in the oath they swear by when becoming a law enforcement officer?

Same MO Brandon and Harris employ concerning our southern border and immigrations enforcement.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I thought the cop who was guarding the handcuffed suspect in the car, was going to engage the train, you know for trying to run him over. lol

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Sure, lets pick and choose which laws we are going to enforce. Lets be partial and decide on the spot who gets a pass and who doesn't. Isn't that in the oath they swear by when becoming a law enforcement officer?

Same MO Brandon and Harris employ concerning our southern border and immigrations enforcement.

Some laws are unconstitutional, and they just haven't been challenged appropriately or have not had constitutional judges in previous attempts, just look at the gun laws and courts recently. There have been numerous wins for "Shall not be infringed".

I have to concede that those cases were prosecuted by the state and they would never have been properly challenged or ruled on had the law been overlooked. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people have suffered tremendously and/or even died because of some of these laws. We can only hope to challenge corrupt laws before that happens in the future. The US suffered through many decades of authoritarianism within its cloak of "freedom", and many bad laws stem from that. Impounding vehicles, IMO, is one of them...but then again so is the registration system and more.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Some laws are unconstitutional, and they just haven't been challenged appropriately or have not had constitutional judges in previous attempts, just look at the gun laws and courts recently. There have been numerous wins for "Shall not be infringed".

I have to concede that those cases were prosecuted by the state and they would never have been properly challenged or ruled on had the law been overlooked. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people have suffered tremendously and/or even died because of some of these laws. We can only hope to challenge corrupt laws before that happens in the future. The US suffered through many decades of authoritarianism within its cloak of "freedom", and many bad laws stem from that. Impounding vehicles, IMO, is one of them...but then again so is the registration system and more.

Yeah, we don't need motor vehicle registration, nor inspections, nor driver's licenses. Nor liability insurance. And if you want to operate your four wheeler or dirt bike on the streets, lets make that legal too. Lets have "drive the quad to work day", it'll be fun! De-fund the police too, we don't need them. Too oppressive, too violent, be shootin and murderin all those innocent folks for nuthin. Way too many good people in prison from corrupt laws.

And lets legalize all the drugs. Marijuana, cocaine, meth, heroin, and crack. We can set up dispensaries and tax the sh*t out of it. Just think of the revenue we can yield. I bet crime will just disappear in a couple years.
    We can name it Manimal's Freedom from Oppression Proclamation. It'll pass easily.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Leave it to BS when you start something on someone’s stupidity, what happens. Hey Look! Squirrel!!!
    Really. Y’all watched the video, read the article and you argue about insurance. I’ll give you an Absolute. Never Stop on Train Tracks, even if you’re a cop.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Damn, I woulda thought a cop would know the law. And you been at it for what 20 years?

But fear not, Manimal knows the law.

C.(1)(a) If the operator of a motor vehicle is unable to show compliance with the provisions of this Part by displaying the required document when requested to do so, the motor vehicle shall be impounded and the operator shall be issued a notice of noncompliance with the provisions of this Part on a form to be provided by the department.

I would think the people challenging the officer with 20 years experience would at least read all of the law and post all
    of the subsections. Once again the LEO actually knows more about doing police stuff than the know it alls on Bayoushooter. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom