Dan Cooper supports gun control

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Dan Cooper has announced his support of Barry Obama.http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-27-prez-money_N.htm

WASHINGTON — Dan Cooper, a proud member of the National Rifle Association, has backed Republicans for most of his life. He's the chief executive of Cooper Arms, a small Montana company that makes hunting rifles.
    Cooper said he voted for George W. Bush in 2000, having voted in past elections for every Republican presidential nominee back to Richard Nixon. In October 1992, he presented a specially made rifle to the first President. Bush during a Billings campaign event.

This year, Cooper has given $3,300 to the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama. That's on top of the $1,000 check he wrote to Obama's U.S. Senate campaign in 2004, after he was dazzled by Obama's speech at that year's Democratic National Convention
    Cooper is a player in one of the little-told dramas of the 2008 presidential campaign: how Obama has been able to out-raise Republican John McCain among swaths of the business community, outperforming previous Democratic presidential nominees in drawing business support.

Cooper changed sides, he said, "probably because of the war. And also because the Republican Party has moved so far right in recent years."

He also likes Obama's message about "the retooling of America, which involves the building of middle-class jobs and helping American small business be competitive with those overseas."

In 2000 and again in 2004, George W. Bush out-raised his Democratic rival among employees and executives of nearly every business sector, according to the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics, which codes contributors by occupation.

In this election, however, Obama has bested McCain among employees and executives in finance, insurance and real estate; health; communications; law; and "miscellaneous business," according to the center's tally of contributions through August.

McCain has maintained the traditional Republican lead in transportation, construction, defense, energy and agribusiness.

In the miscellaneous business sector — which includes retail, service industries and many small enterprises — Bush out-raised Democrat John Kerry, $20.6 million to $14.8 million in 2004. Obama has taken in $20.5 million from that sector to McCain's $13.4 million, records show. Those numbers don't include September and October, when Obama was raising tens of millions but McCain's campaign was not taking private donations. McCain accepted $84 million in public financing while Obama opted out of the federal system.

Obama has taken in twice as much as McCain from employees of pharmaceutical and related companies, the center found. And Obama has raised $5.1 million from workers at computer and Internet companies, compared with McCain's $1.3 million.

Among Obama's contributors, 5,845 list "CEO" or "chief executive" in their title, compared with 2,597 of McCain's donors, according to election records compiled by CQ MoneyLine. In the 2003-04 cycle, 3,567 of Bush's donors were listed that way, compared with 1,686 for Kerry.

"I guess he can't accuse us of being the candidate of big business," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said. He noted that some Democrats are raising money for McCain, and he criticized Obama for forgoing public financing.

Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt noted that unlike Obama, McCain accepts money from federal lobbyists.

"Our campaign has been funded by more than 3.1 million Americans who gave an average of $86," he said.

Mary Kay Cashman runs a Caterpillar franchise in Nevada. She has given $68,600 to Republican candidates over the years, including $2,000 to Bush in 2003. This year, she changed her registration to Democrat to caucus for Obama in the Nevada primary.

"There's an abundant amount of evidence that the status quo isn't working and the direction needs to be changed," she said. Asked why she didn't support Democrat Al Gore in 2000 or Kerry in 2004, she said, "There are personality traits that are required in a leader, and neither Gore nor Kerry had those."

Bill Struve runs a small business in Wilmington, N.C., that develops metal clay, which is used in making jewelry. He said the only time he hasn't backed a Republican for president is when he cast a vote for independent Ross Perot in 1992. He has given Obama $2,300 this year. "The Republicans have … lost their footing on economics," he said.

Bob Clark of Missouri and Victor Hammel of Pennsylvania are CEOs of large businesses who tend to back Democrats but also donate to Republicans. Clark runs Clayco, a St. Louis real estate development firm. Hammel leads J.C. Ehrlich, a pest-control company based in Reading, Pa..

They are the types McCain had hoped to attract. Instead, Clark, who raised thousands for Bush in 2000, has raised more than $500,000 for Obama. And Hammel, who regularly gives money to Republican Sen. Arlen Specter, has donated $2,300 to Obama.

"Barack is definitely more liberal than I am," Clark said. "But I'm willing to compromise on some of those issues for what I think is the greater good."

Hammel said, "I would rather pay a little higher tax on a higher profit than a lower tax rate on lower profits."

Here is my response:

I have been saving, for some time, in order to afford one of your .22LR rifles. They are reputed to be the finest American bolt action rifles made.

I regret that your support for Barry Obama, for President, has forced me to change my mind. I will now have to save a little longer, in order to afford a better rifle, made in France. Yes, I will be buying an Anschutz. It has a better barrel than you offer anyways.

I really wanted to buy American, but apparently, you are willing to compromise your rights, for a little security. That, to me, is UN-AMERICAN.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Rats, and sinking ships

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...AogjOPlila9lIGPlw&sig2=lsw1ojdpj68dUdS2rMswDA

Linky, linky....Seems Dan Cooper may be looking for employment. Here is their response.

The employees,shareholders and board of directors of Cooper Firearms of Montana do not share the personal political views of Dan Cooper.

Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just Mr. Cooper. It may also affect the employees and the shareholders of Cooper Firearms.

The board of directors has asked Mr. Cooper to resign as President of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc.

Daily operations will continue with the competent staff currently in place in Stevensville, MT producing the finest, most accurate rifles money can buy.

Dan Cooper has spentall of his working life producing the highest quality rifles built here in the USA. He started with nothing but the American Dream and built that into firearms company anyone would be proud of. We firmly believe Dan stands by the2nd amendment.
    We wish him all of the best in his future pursuits.

In response to the recent article highlighting Dan Cooper’s personal political donations, the board of directors,shareholders and employees of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc would like to issue the following statement.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What the **** is wrong with people?

This infuriates me, he suffers from rectal/cranial inversion syndrome.....

There seems to be a LOT of that going around. Racism too. I've been accused again of being racist for not supporting Osama. Nevermind that I voted for Alan Keyes twice (Who dat?? Yeah....) and that *they* are voting for Osama solely because he is black even though they disagree with higher taxes and are against abortion. But *I* am the racist. I'm sorry, but I have a low tolerance for willful stupidity.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    There seems to be a LOT of that going around. Racism too. I've been accused again of being racist for not supporting Osama. Nevermind that I voted for Alan Keyes twice (Who dat?? Yeah....) and that *they* are voting for Osama solely because he is black even though they disagree with higher taxes and are against abortion. But *I* am the racist. I'm sorry, but I have a low tolerance for willful stupidity.

Makes me want to move further out into the country due to the fact that im developing a dis-taste for people. :squint:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Karma's gonna be a big fat bitch, when one of his guns is used in a murder and the victim's family sues his company and he's out on the street:rofl::rofl::rofl:. He'll be able to thank Osama for that!
    What a douche!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Dave:

Read again. Dan Cooper is already on his way to the curb. The company response to my E-Mail, and of many others, was to fire him. Well....To ask for his resignation. Voting with our wallets works.

I had been saving for one of their rim fire rifles. They are very good, with American Walnut wood. I am even selling off some of my nicer guns to this end. The cost of one of their .22LR's is over $1500. Now I have to save over $2000 to get a French rifle. The wood won't be as nice, but the barrel will be slightly better. I wonder if it comes with a white flag?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

Last time I checked , it wasn't illegal to be a racist . White people need to stop being terrified of that word .

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Dave:

Read again. Dan Cooper is already on his way to the curb. The company response to my E-Mail, and of many others, was to fire him. Well....To ask for his resignation. Voting with our wallets works.

I had been saving for one of their rim fire rifles. They are very good, with American Walnut wood. I am even selling off some of my nicer guns to this end. The cost of one of their .22LR's is over $1500. Now I have to save over $2000 to get a French rifle. The wood won't be as nice, but the barrel will be slightly better. I wonder if it comes with a white flag?

They did the right thing, I'd buy one of their rifles now. This idiot not only got himself fired, he's out of the industry. We ought to keep track of who hires him and complain to them also!

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    DBMJR1: I did miss your post. However, he's not gone yet. They only asked him to step down, right? As for the Fr rifle, should be just fine, never fired and only a little ding in the stock from the one time it was dropped! ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom