Deployment gear review. ( Kits , Boots , Assault bags , Eye protection etc.)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne

May 8, 2010
    First things first , This is the gear I use everyday. I'm also not some base rat that only uses the gear to walk from his chu to the TOC , I'm an Infantry machine gunner. When we go out of the wire we walk... and then we walk some more. So all of the gear im picturing may look dirty and worn out , It's because it is. This is all after 11 months of being deployed to Afghanistan , and we won't make it back until June lol I will add more things up until we leave here.

First up in the Arc'teryz Knee caps.
    These are approved by the military for deployed personel (Issued to Ranger Bat.)
    As an SOP in this SQDN we have to wear knee pads and i could never find a pair that doesn't bind up under your knee and most are just overall irritating. Until I found these.

http://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Knee...4I0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300733454&sr=8-1

Kneepads.jpg

Me on a market patrol wearing these.

54705_10150153020424358_500724357_8174798_6189355_o.jpg

I know what you are thinking , "60.00 Bucks for knee pads?!?!?" But I'v been wearing them for about 7 months now and they are amazing. They are so light you don't even know your wearing knee pads. They are relatively thin too so you don't have to worry about your knee's getting hot. When you take a knee no matter how much weight your carrying or what surface your taking a knee on , They just feel great! If you are deploying soon Deff. suggest getting a pair of these.

Next is the Tru-Spec Ranger rack. First off , You can't beat the price!! 29.99 at uscav.com

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=9996&tabid=548

It's a standard molle kit. Simple , Basic , It works. I have attached to it for my linked 7.62 setup for the 240 was four Blackhawk! 200 round saw pouches. An IFAC (first aid) pouch and and utility pouch for pen flares , VS17 panal , Beacon and NVG's.
    (I didn't have the speed clips pouches , the where only $25.00 a piece then)

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=17345&tabid=548

DSCN0168.jpg

Kit1.jpg

But they hold around 150 rounds in each pouch of 7.62. Anywho , Back the the rack. For as cheap as it is , and for the 600 rounds that I carry on it. This thing has held up magically . Not to mention while on patrols I keep the 240 laid on top of the pouches. So thats an added 30 lbs to the already heavy ammo (8lb's per 100 rounds.)
    167283_10150178552744358_500724357_8585116_1514532_n.jpg

Only thing i do have to withdraw from its credit is when ever you first buy is , Take and adjust the straps and them tape them to where they can't come loose. If not you will have a sagging kit. Other than that it's amazing for what your paying. It has a removable bib also. I also suggest this for a deploying soldier or someone who wants their personal kit.

Last for post. The MotherLode Camel back. I should not have to review this just because of Camelback's amazing reputation as one of the best assault pack / 72 hour bag. The one i'm reviewing is the previous model because i've had it for so long. As for durability , There is no match. Would gladly take this assault pack over a Black Hawk or even Tactical Tailor one.
    Nikeboots.jpg

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20914&tabid=548&catid=1723

These things are virtually indestructible. I have had mine since i got out of basic. been through numerous 30 day field exercises , and no to mention so far an 11month tour. Has numerous nice features such as it holds a standard camel back bladder in the rear of the pack. Has 1 main compartment and one smaller zippered pocket that has a bunch of small pouches for a bunch of thing , most of which i have no clue what they are. As far as space , This one doesn't hold a crazy amount of things. It's a good travel bag to planes because you can stuff what ever you need to and it's guaranteed to fit in the over head compartment. If you are looking for an assault pack to hold a sleep system , food , water , and other larger item you might want to check out the Black Hawk Barrage. It's a little cheaper and decently bigger.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20399&tabid=548&catid=1723

Until next time...

-Casey

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    First things first , This is the gear I use everyday. I'm also not some base rat that only uses the gear to walk from his chu to the TOC , I'm an Infantry machine gunner. When we go out of the wire we walk... and then we walk some more. So all of the gear im picturing may look dirty and worn out , It's because it is. This is all after 11 months of being deployed to Afghanistan , and we won't make it back until June lol I will add more things up until we leave here.

Next is the Tru-Spec Ranger rack. First off , You can't beat the price!! 29.99 at uscav.com

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=9996&tabid=548

It's a standard molle kit. Simple , Basic , It works. I have attached to it for my linked 7.62 setup for the 240 was four Blackhawk! 200 round saw pouches. An IFAC (first aid) pouch and and utility pouch for pen flares , VS17 panal , Beacon and NVG's.
    (I didn't have the speed clips pouches , the where only $25.00 a piece then)

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=17345&tabid=548

DSCN0168.jpg

Kit1.jpg

But they hold around 150 rounds in each pouch of 7.62. Anywho , Back the the rack. For as cheap as it is , and for the 600 rounds that I carry on it. This thing has held up magically . Not to mention while on patrols I keep the 240 laid on top of the pouches. So thats an added 30 lbs to the already heavy ammo (8lb's per 100 rounds.)
    167283_10150178552744358_500724357_8585116_1514532_n.jpg

Only thing i do have to withdraw from its credit is when ever you first buy is , Take and adjust the straps and them tape them to where they can't come loose. If not you will have a sagging kit. Other than that it's amazing for what your paying. It has a removable bib also. I also suggest this for a deploying soldier or someone who wants their personal kit.
    Until next time...

-Casey

I got a question.

What is the standard issue equipment for the pig? How much ammo can you carry with the regulation issue gear vs. buying your own?

Airborne

May 8, 2010
    That's the thing about a M240B , They don't issue any way of carrying ammo for it. Army standards say that the 240 shouldn't be used dismounted (Bullsh!t) and that if it is used dismounted that the Ammo Bearer and Assistant Gunner should carry the rounds however they see fit (Usually an assault pack) Well our platoon is so small now that we only have one AG for 2 gunners. So we are forced to carry our own ammo. Alot of people will use the Utility pouch the army supplies you with and just molle it to our plate carriers but the tear up real easy and can only hold 400 rounds compared to this kits 600 round capacity.

Edmond

Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Gotta throw in my support for the Camelbak bag as well. I have them in black and multi-cam. They hold up to everything. The biggest difference between the aftermarket bags and the issued bags is that the zippers on the aftermarket bags actually work. The aftermarket bags also have padded straps and they're less sloppy in terms of weight distribution.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom