Do you think private gun sales should go through a FFL?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I ask because lots of ads here ask for more than the law requires. Why would anyone selling a firearm via private sale require documentation from the buyer? Is it just me or is that crazy?

Edit to ad: your used firearms are not worth more than new firearms.FFS

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    .......... Why would anyone selling a firearm via private sale require documentation from the buyer? ..........
    You think it's a good idea that instead of getting a signed Bill of Sale from the buyer you would feel comfortable selling a firearm to a total stranger and once you have the $$ in hand, you just let them walk away without any info on who they are? Unless I misunderstood your question in which case I apologize.

Last edited:

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Why would i care who buys my firearms? Is that a law here in La?
    As long as the buyer is of age, a citizen of the state, and not a criminal they can legally buy a firearm. As a private seller the buyer needs to be sure they are following the law and of course i wont sell to a known criminal or a minor. Otherwise the law doesnt require me to do a background check on the buyer.

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    You think it's a good idea that instead of getting a signed Bill of Sale from the buyer you would feel comfortable selling a firearm to a total stranger and once you have the $$ in hand, you just let them walk away without any info on who they are? Unless I misunderstood your question in which case I apologize.

I do, why is it any of my Business who they are, or why they want it…

When you sell a car do you ask them and make sure that they’re not gonna exceed the speed limit or make sure they wear a seatbelt…. Naaa none of my business LOL

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I want a BOS simply to prove, if I ever have to, that I did not steal said firearm. If selling the BOS will not see the light of day, but will prove chain of custody, in the unlikely event it ever comes up.
    I can almost understand the buyer wanting a BOS but we are talking about the seller asking for documentation.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Oh and by the way, if you are a hack, liberal democrat writer, Learn to spell. And don't challenge me on grammar, I simply don't care.

SpartanSoul

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    No kidding. Im not doing any extra documentation not required by law.

It protects the seller in case things ever go sideways.

While you might be able to avoid any criminal prosecution a potential civil case is all together different. Imagine you sold one of the mass killers a firearm in a private sale. You would face financial ruin even if you won the civil suits. Even going through an FFL might not help you but it's the best you can do.

Unfortunately logic has little place in our legal system on either the criminal or civil side.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Don't mean to offend. I just found it strange that BOS is an issue. And you are new member that mis-spelled the state.
    Im not offended and a BOS is not too much of a issue as i would never consider buying a firearm from a "hall monitor style gun seller". why anyone would want to add extra paperwork to an already overregulated 2nd Amendment is just crazy.
    This thread is just a conversation about BOS. Mods are free to delete it.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    It protects the seller in case things ever go sideways.

While you might be able to avoid any criminal prosecution a potential civil case is all together different. Imagine you sold one of the mass killers a firearm in a private sale. You would face financial ruin even if you won the civil suits. Even going through an FFL might not help you but it's the best you can do.

Unfortunately logic has little place in our legal system on either the criminal or civil side.
    Odds of selling to a mass killer is half a billiin to one or something like that. I know whatching the news you would think its more common. Has anyone ever been succesfully prosecuted for selling a gun to a mass murderer?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As long as the buyer is of age, a citizen of the state, and not a criminal they can legally buy a firearm.
    I can almost understand the buyer wanting a BOS but we are talking about the seller asking for documentation.

It seems as a seller, you do not want to ask for any documentation. How are you able to verify the buyer is of age and a citizen of the state without any documentation?

It's difficult to know with certainty the buyer is not a criminal. But the buyer knowing you will have his information would certainly deter a number of criminals.

Now going through an FFL may be overkill. Having said that, I did sell my ex-wife a handgun and we went through an FFL. We were still cordial at the time but she was an ex for a reason.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I might have generated the "Bill of Sale" term in my response, but when you asked "why would a seller require documentation from a buyer", I took it to mean a Bill of Sale. Once again, sorry if I misinterpreted the meaning(s) or intended verbage.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Odds of selling to a mass killer is half a billiin to one or something like that. I know whatching the news you would think its more common. Has anyone ever been succesfully prosecuted for selling a gun to a mass murderer?

But the odds are still there. And mass murderers are not the only people prohibited from possessing firearms. A mass killer/prohibited person is more likely to buy a gun from a private sale than through an FFL.

Top Bottom