Does anyone know of a Toyota dealership that is not charging a "convenience fee" over MSRP on new vehicles?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I know right now is a terrible time to be in the market for a new car but I was hoping to find a dealer that wasn't bending people over a barrel. The best I've got so far is Supreme Toyota in Hammond with a $500 over MSRP fee and it includes VIN etching so at least you're getting something for the fee.

https://markups.org/ shows no fee at Price Leblanc Toyota but that website is not 100% accurate (it shows $5000 for Supreme for instance). I sent that dealership an email yesterday and have not had a response so I'll probably be calling them later today to see what they can tell me over the phone. Edit: Price Leblanc wrote me back in email and have a $1495 markup.

Figured I'd ask my fellow Louisiana folks if they knew anything that could help my search. The new car market is crazy right now and dealers are fighting each other for deliveries from the Toyota manufacturing facility. Most of the dealers say if I come in and give them a deposit of $1000 they would use one of their 2 special orders a month to try and get what I'm looking for but it could take 8-12 weeks. I don't mind waiting I just don't want to end up paying a luxury car price for a Camry. I feel like I'm already overpaying at MSRP I am not wanting to pay a "convenience fee" on top of that even if it's as low as $500.

I checked out of state and the dealerships I called in Mobile and Pensacola both added a $3,000 fee as well. That seems to be the standard rate at most places.

Dealer NameLocationConvenience FeeNotes
    Northshore ToyotaCovington$3,000Non Negotiable, includes nothing
    Lakeside ToyotaMetairie$4,000Can negotiate up to $1000 off fee, includes nothing
    Supreme ToyotaHammond$500Non Negotiable, includes VIN etching
    Toyota of SlidellSlidell$1,995Non Negotiable, includes some perks (Window Tint, Paint Warranty, etc)
    Team ToyotaBaton Rouge$1,495Non Negotiable, includes nothing, does not custom order models
    Price Leblanc ToyotaBaton Rouge$1,495Non Negotiable, includes Door Edge Guards, Door Cups, Wheel Locks, Nitrogen in Tires, Roadside Kit, Key Replacement
    All Star ToyotaBaton Rouge$1,999Unsure about negotiability, includes nothing
    Ray Brandt ToyotaKenner$3,000Non Negotiable, includes nothing
    Toyota of New OrleansNew Orleans$3,000Non Negotiable, includes nothing

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Pretty much every dealer is doing that, for now. Obviously, if you can wait as long as possible, as the economy continues to **** the bed, you might gain more leverage over the bloodsuckers, but you probably wouldn't be asking if you weren't in an immediate transportation bind. You might want to extend your search radius to Lafayette. I have found they are much hungrier than BR and have been more willing to deal in the past. No idea about what they are doing currently, but if you're willing to come to BR, Laf isn't that much further. Good luck

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    convenience fee? I guess its just because they actually have a couple cars to sell? **** that. don't buy new. cars are depreciating assets. get a used one thats only a year or 2 old. save some monies.
    Lol, you haven't looked at used prices lately. Newer used cars are selling for more than MSRP! Older ones are obviously cheaper but way over what they should be selling for. I was thinking about selling my old 4Runner because I was offered more than I paid for it 8 years ago! So I guess that actually makes it an appreciating asset! :dogkeke:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Convenience fees are nothing new. Wife used to work at Lakeside Toyota. Northshore Toyota is their sister dealership. Both have always included convenience fees on their sticker prices for years.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Convenience fees are nothing new. Wife used to work at Lakeside Toyota. Northshore Toyota is their sister dealership. Both have always included convenience fees on their sticker prices for years.
    I have always been able to knock off most or all of the ridiculous convenience and dealer addon fees over the years. Now they are adding the "Market fees", which is what I think he is looking at. Dealers have the upper hand, for now, so they are getting MSRP + all the add-on and market fees. I feel for anyone who HAS to buy a car these days.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    convenience fee? I guess its just because they actually have a couple cars to sell? **** that. don't buy new. cars are depreciating assets. get a used one thats only a year or 2 old. save some monies.
    Unfortunately the used car market is worse than the new car market. For instance, there's a base model 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE with 60k miles at Lakeside Toyota in Metairie for $33k and he wouldn't tell me the used car "convenience fee" but I imagine it's high since the new car fee is $4000. For reference, a base model 2022 Camry Hybrid XLE with 0 miles is $32870. There is no "wiggle" room on the used car as it's a seller's market right now.

I bought a used Highlander from here in Feb. They beat every dealer within 150 miles of Ponchatoula with price and selection.

Appreciate the link, will definitely check them out. A coworker said Toyota of New Orleans isn't screwing over their customers so I'm going to try giving them a ring. I just didn't want to risk getting carjacked in New Orleans east :o

Edit: Just called them, coworker is wrong, they charge $3,000 markup.

Well there are dealerships that aren't charging them and I'm just trying to find one so I can give them my business.

I have always been able to knock off most or all of the ridiculous convenience and dealer addon fees over the years. Now they are adding the "Market fees", which is what I think he is looking at. Dealers have the upper hand, for now, so they are getting MSRP + all the add-on and market fees. I feel for anyone who HAS to buy a car these days.
    Yea the "Market fees" are what I'm calling "Convenience fees". Maybe I'm calling it by the wrong term but they know demand is higher than supply right now and are trying to make as much as they can. I get it and don't fault them, but not every dealer is doing that because they know it leaves a bad taste in the buyer's mouth and the chance of repeat business is low. It's probably worth it to not charge that fee now to get a customer for life but what do I know. :dunno:

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Greg Leblanc Toyota in Houma was not. They actually doing 500 off Camrys and Tundras but Tacoma’s and Rav4 were +500 to sticker. I drove by they do not have much on the lot though

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Just last week, I found and bought a 2006 Honda Ridgelilne RTL ( Leather, navigation, AWD, etc.. ) that only needed 2 tires for $2,000. after TTL, and 2 tires, I'm $2800 into the truck. and its not beat up, high mileage, ragged out, etc.. the deals can be found. Just gotta keep looking and be patient.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Greg Leblanc Toyota in Houma was not. They actually doing 500 off Camrys and Tundras but Tacoma’s and Rav4 were +500 to sticker. I drove by they do not have much on the lot though
    I checked them out and looks like the majority of their Camry's have a "Market Premium" charge from $1500 to $2500 depending on trim. Only one was listed as "Manager Special" with $500 off the $28723 MSRP but the window sticker doesn't load and they don't say what packages are on it. A base LE is $25845 so they're charging $2878 over that for some reason whether it's a hidden "Market Premium", package, or garbage like $300 floor mats and $400 illuminated door sills :dunno:

Just last week, I found and bought a 2006 Honda Ridgelilne RTL ( Leather, navigation, AWD, etc.. ) that only needed 2 tires for $2,000. after TTL, and 2 tires, I'm $2800 into the truck. and its not beat up, high mileage, ragged out, etc.. the deals can be found. Just gotta keep looking and be patient.
    I'm not looking for a 16 year old vehicle man. I appreciate your feedback but definitely not helpful in my situation.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    All I'm saying is that new and used, the deals and fair pricing is out there. Just gotta keep your eyes open for what you want.. I personally refuse to buy a new vehicle. They just lose value, and the newer stuff is junk to say the least from a technicians standpoint.

Last edited:

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Hey Bosco, just curious. How badly do you (need/want) a new vehicle to allow yourself to be bent over for some
    Bull$hit fee?

Yes, these are trying times, however, "non-negotiable" (??) - kma and walk away!

Best of luck to you!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Are you wanting the new Tundra? I test drove Tacoma 1.5 month ago at Price Leblanc and there wasn’t a markup. I have heard the new tundras are rare and they charge a premium for them.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Friend of mine had to get his Tacoma from lake Charles Toyota because they didnt charge a mark up. This was in December. They also let him get one that was coming in and didnt add any dealer options.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The new Camry Hybrids are basically being sold before they even arrive at the dealership. I'm waiting on a 2022 Camry Hybrid XSE to come in a the end of this month from Supreme Toyota in Hammond. The $500 deposit is to get the first look at the car when it comes in and goes towards the purchase.
    I tried all around Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Gonzales, etc. They have none of the Camry Hybrids in stock at any of them and you'll have to get on a waiting list to get one.
    I'm not going to complain. I got a $29700. trade in value on my 2017 Tundra that i bought as Certified Preowned for $35k in 2017 and drove it for 5 years. With the crazy gas prices that keep going up, I'll take the 47mpg vs 16mpg for sure.
    The lower models like the LE/SE are less money if you can find one. The used Camry's are priced not much off the new ones and don't come with much of a warranty on them.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    The new Camry Hybrids are basically being sold before they even arrive at the dealership. I'm waiting on a 2022 Camry Hybrid XSE to come in a the end of this month from Supreme Toyota in Hammond. The $500 deposit is to get the first look at the car when it comes in and goes towards the purchase.
    I tried all around Baton Rouge, Houma, Lafayette, Gonzales, etc. They have none of the Camry Hybrids in stock at any of them and you'll have to get on a waiting list to get one.
    I'm not going to complain. I got a $29700. trade in value on my 2017 Tundra that i bought as Certified Preowned for $35k in 2017 and drove it for 5 years. With the crazy gas prices that keep going up, I'll take the 47mpg vs 16mpg for sure.
    The lower models like the LE/SE are less money if you can find one. The used Camry's are priced not much off the new ones and don't come with much of a warranty on them.

I gave Supreme Toyota a $500 deposit yesterday for the same car as you. How long did it take them to find yours? What color/options did they find for you? Would you mind sharing your whole experience with them? If you don't want to do it on here feel free to PM me. I would love to know what to expect for the whole process.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    They have a list of what is allocated to them that will be coming in. They didn't have a lot of options as far as what color you can get and you can't custom order one since they are selling them faster than hotcakes. Mine was on their allocated list and is in grey mica. It's supposed to be coming in by the end of this month. I wasn't concerned with color other than I didn't want another black vehicle. One added bonus was dealing with Michele, who is an extremely pleasant person and very good looking. Warms the cockles of this old geezer's heart, lol.
    I haven't dealt with the actual purchase yet, but I'm sure it will go fine. I didn't get the vibe of "it was like being thrown in a lion's den with pork chop britches on" !!!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    They have a list of what is allocated to them that will be coming in. They didn't have a lot of options as far as what color you can get and you can't custom order one since they are selling them faster than hotcakes. Mine was on their allocated list and is in grey mica. It's supposed to be coming in by the end of this month. I wasn't concerned with color other than I didn't want another black vehicle. One added bonus was dealing with Michele, who is an extremely pleasant person and very good looking. Warms the cockles of this old geezer's heart, lol.
    I haven't dealt with the actual purchase yet, but I'm sure it will go fine. I didn't get the vibe of "it was like being thrown in a lion's den with pork chop britches on" !!!
    Appreciate the input! When did you originally get on the waiting list? Just wondering how long it might take for them to find my Hybrid XSE. They said July/August but I'm hoping it's not that long of a wait.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom