EXO-Fail Zero Glocks (G17)-An Early Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Just got a G17 thru Jefferson Gun with this treatment.

These were a special run thru Lipsey's in which the slide (interior/exterior), barrel (interior/exterior), extractor, and slide release were treated with Fail Zero's "EXO" nickel boron coating. Mine was also an "upgraded" version with Ameriglo tritium front, surrounded by an orange ring, and an Ameriglo "ledge" rear tritium, set up in the "straight eight" format. Other than those changes, it's pure Gen 3 G17. Coloring is a very flat gold/flat earth tone with NO reflective capability.

First off, let's talk sights. These are AWESOME imo. Extremely easy to see in ANY light condition and every bit as fast as my previous favorite, the XS dot system (I prefer small dot, YMMV). EVERY bit as fast. This set up also offers the additional benefit of being able, through the ledge set up, of racking the slide against your belt, or even a pocket edge. Of course, any hard surface such as a doorway, door or desk edge, etc. will also work to allow single hand manipulation. Mine were regulated as dead on using Winchester 147 grn +p's at 15 yards. This is not a target set up, but a true combat sight that allows fast sight acquisition and delivery, and the ability to see your sights in total darkness if needed (that is leaving aside the issue of target identification of course).

On to the coating. Generic name for this stuff is nickel boron and it's gaining acceptance in a wide array of internal AR components. Point of fact is that the company here, Fail Zero, no longer offers pistol packages due to the workload on AR components for various government agencies. This coating alone, from other companies, varies from between $295-350 for the components listed. And, it works. If I understand it correctly, it is not a coating per se, but is a microbonding of approximately .02 microns that literally bonds with the steel underneath to provide a blended covering. It is guaranteed not to flake, chip, or peel. It's touted benefit is NO need for lubrication and the ability to simply wipe the part clean with a soft cloth. As far as using no lubrication goes...the jury is still out. I remember when Glocks first were introduced and that too was the claim then. Right up until you started seeing FTF, FTE in training classes from folks who believed what they read on the internet. So when I first shot the weapon and cleaned it, I did use small amounts of lube on rails, linkage, etc.

As far as the claim of simple wipe down, that is true 100% from what I've so far seen. I've only put about 300 rounds through it so far and each cleaning has consisted of simply breaking down the weapon, wiping with a soft cotton cloth, and reassembly prior to lube. That includes the breechface, barrel ramp and the rifling too is simply spotless after a simple run thru with a dry cloth. NO bore cleaner, solvent, etc. All debris simply wipes off with no rubbing or scrubbing. Now I've been a big fan of Tennifer, that too is pretty nice stuff and I've used it as THE standard against which I've compared Melonite, polymer coatings, etc. I've always found everything else wanting against the Tennifer process until now. Imo, this product is superior to that and if the claim about wear is true, you should not see the "shininess" that results over time to Glocks through either use of Kydex holsters or repeated drawstrokes/carry. Again, I don't have a lot of miles on this pistol yet and one of the reasons I bought it was to test what I'd been reading about EXO/Fail Zero/Nickel Boron but to date, I'm sold on it.

More info to follow as I shoot it more but if you'd like your Glock to be just a tad different, or were searching for "the ultimate" in durable finishes, you might want to track down one of these models (they were a VERY limited offering with G17's, 19's, 26's, 27's, and 23"s, with not all models having the sight system I described). As of today, some are still available through Gunbroker at prices from standard Glock (499-529) to ridiculous prices (700-900). BUt they are not making them anymore at this time due to prior commitments by Fail Zero. You could of course always get this treatment done through another vendor (they are out there if you Google "nickel boron firearm coating) but expect to pay a $250-350 premium depending on the parts you want done. That made, imo, my G17 EXO a bargain, especially since it came with the upgraded sights. I paid $599 OTD on mine and didn't quibble if I got it for $20 more than some, or $15 less than others. WELL satisified.

Get em while they're hot. This one is a keeper I think. Hope this helps.

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

Last edited:

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Pics now up...for the unimaginative that is. :)

With regards to man/gun card. Lifetime Membership requires me to carry no card. Look it up, it's in the rules.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well here's a stock pic of one until you get your damn priorities straight. :D

GLPI1750203T.JPG.jpg

I always liked the EXO's, I imagine my next G19 will be one. I don't think the coating really does anything amazing persay, but for only a couple bucks more than a standard model I don't see why not.

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Beat ya too it Racer. Yours is of the plain ole plasto sight model. Mine is of the ooooh la la Ameriglo model. :)

Thanks for helping a Brother out though.

Never really had any problems with Tennifer, but didn't like the hardchromed slides I'd seen others do. Will say that clean up is the fastest on any gun I've ever owned. If the wear is as advertised, it's WAY worth it at least to me. Even Tennifer got shredded by Kydex on mine anyway.

dmh

Jan 4, 2009
    Boron Nitride is deposited in a galvanic type plating cell. I know because I am in the process of developing tanks for it in my shop and have been tweaking the recipes and process for a few weeks now. MAy have some samples available after this weekend if things go right. ;)

Hardballing

Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Boron Nitride is deposited in a galvanic type plating cell. I know because I am in the process of developing tanks for it in my shop and have been tweaking the recipes and process for a few weeks now. MAy have some samples available after this weekend if things go right. ;)

Would be interested in what you come up with on this. Particularly as a local source. Have an UZI that is about to go the SBR route that I can see some usefulness in having this treatment done. UberUzi perhaps? (is mixing German sounds with an Israeli product somehow racist? :) ) Can definately see some utility to having the Uzi internals and exterior done. So...please PM me when you get some details together or post here on your link.

It's just ridiculously easy to clean up after shooting. Last 150 rounds, including some nasty Combloc 9mm, it just took a plain clean cotton patch on a rod, no solvent or cleaner, with two wipes to get the barrel spotless. The breechface was one simple wipe and same for interior/exterior of the slide. Not that it takes a huge amount of time to clean a Glock after fmj anyway, but this was about as simple as you could get. Just simple wipes, tiny bit of lube (see above) and reassemble. Took all of 3 minutes or so from breakdown to reassembly. That's pretty darn quick imo.

mnop308

Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    WAY TOO GOOD OF AN IDEA NOT TO GO TO THE MASS MARKET. I hope you get it worked out. It would be great to have on so many of my guns. To bad the original company got overwhelmed by govt orders. Yes the boys in the sandbox come first, but it would be nice of the rest of us could get in on it too. Good luck getting it up and running. Please post when you get it down.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom