Fort Macomb is Opening!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Last weekend at Destrehan's festival, I spoke with a guy who worked with the Louisiana State Parks. We got to talking about Fort Pike, and he mentioned that Macomb will be opening on July 3rd of this year.

He said you will have to go to Fort Pike, and they will shuttle you to Macomb. He then showed me pictures of Macomb, and it really looked good for being abandoned for so many years.

Just thought I'd let you fellow history buffs know.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I was at Ft. McComb last year, and it was falling apart. Lake Borne was tearing its glacis apart, and on the land side huge chunks of the wall had collapsed into the water. On the land boats were sunken in the lagoon surrounding the fort. If they fixed it up I'd be astounded (but very happy:))

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Hey, I'm just going by the photos and what the guy said. I'll have to see it for myself.

However, even if it is in bad shape, rightfully so. It was abandoned for so long. Those forts, even the houses of that time, are rock solid. And that's why I live where I do.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I sure hope you're right. It's about time someone acknowledged the historical importance of those forts. Damn shame they let the Martello Castle fall to ruin. Remember we still have Battery Bienvenue to save too.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    So true. Bienvenue is still out there hanging on. I found some close up pics of Martello. A complete wreck.

I know it's not a fort, but are you familiar with the de la Ronde ruins in Chalmette? That's a sad sight. The oaks fronting that house are prettier than Oak Alley, IMHO.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    So true. Bienvenue is still out there hanging on. I found some close up pics of Martello. A complete wreck.

I know it's not a fort, but are you familiar with the de la Ronde ruins in Chalmette? That's a sad sight. The oaks fronting that house are prettier than Oak Alley, IMHO.

Don't think I've seen it. Martello Castle is owned by a friend of mine, and she and her (Nunez) family tried for years to get it classified as a world heritage site, since it's one of the few remaining Martello Castles in the world, and they represent a tremendous technological leap in defensive structures from the early 1800s. All we needed to do was to build a levee of rip-rap around it, but the state couldn't spare the money :rolleyes:. Now it's gone.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    It is a shame that's for sure. Fort Proctor is still out there too, forgot about it for a sec.

The de la Ronde house was used as a hospital by the Brits in the Battle of NO. It was a large house, and a large plantation. It burned a long time ago, and the ruins have just been sitting there. The bricks are exposed to the elements, and even though it has a gate, it's easy for vandals to jump it and do whatever they want. At least de la Ronde's French Quarter house on Chartres Street is doing well.

I can't find the pictures that I took, but here's some.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:De_la_Ronde_Plantation

Here's one of the oaks, and one of Martello.

Top Bottom