Friday night violence in NOLA.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Intended target was arrested & released for a shooting in front of a church. The DA’s office could not reply because they are Closed on the weekend!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I drive all over Orleans Parish and always seem to miss this stuff(except for the bullet that took out my right rear window while driving 3 years ago.)

Perhaps I missed that event because I was on a late night film shoot in Slidel(Antique District for 1950's era.)

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yep typical day in the Nola area. I don't even go into the Metro area anymore unarmed. If I intend to go as far east as Kenner even, my rifle is in trunk, pistol on hip and body armor on backseat ready... NOLA has become a fuckin battleground. From what I've seen JPSO, and KPD are the only agencies in the area that are worth a damn to boot.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Big thumbs up to JPSO compared to NOPD. A neighbor had to fill out some paperwork for one of his kids. 2 min response time on Good Friday to fill out paperwork! That following Monday NOPD response times where released, 2 Hours! I hate paying more in taxes unless I can see that they are being used effectively, so I had to support the new mileage for JPSO.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yep typical day in the Nola area. I don't even go into the Metro area anymore unarmed. If I intend to go as far east as Kenner even, my rifle is in trunk, pistol on hip and body armor on backseat ready... NOLA has become a fuckin battleground. From what I've seen JPSO, and KPD are the only agencies in the area that are worth a damn to boot.
    Westwego and Gretna PD do a good job as well.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Big thumbs up to JPSO compared to NOPD. A neighbor had to fill out some paperwork for one of his kids. 2 min response time on Good Friday to fill out paperwork! That following Monday NOPD response times where released, 2 Hours! I hate paying more in taxes unless I can see that they are being used effectively, so I had to support the new mileage for JPSO.
    Yes, response times are ridiculous. Officers come to work with a 20 call backlog, and get off 12 hours later with a 20 call backlog. Not trying to justify their response time, and it's been 20 years since I retired, but used to be a time when Police Officers actually worked in communications, and screened the incoming calls for service. Lots of the calls received were handled over the phone, and an Officer did not have to be sent out. Many calls weren't even a police matter, and the called was directed to where they should call. Now, just about every call is written up for dispatch, and a car is sent. It could be anything from "He be hitting on me, but I don't want him arrested" (domestic call there for the 10th time), to "My neighbor be looking at me", or a 911 call for "not enough french fries in my order". There used to be 3 eight hour shifts, and 1 man units (for report taking), and 2 man units ( for more serious matters), which meant more units on the street. That was when there were 1800 Patrolman (now called Police Officers) on the street. Now, with around 800 that are actually on the street, there are only 1 man units (except FTO units with a trainee), and most are working 12 hour shifts.
    As stated earlier, not making excuses for the Officers today, just hoping to explain their circumstances.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Its the sheer number of 911 calls in NOLA today. They (NOPD) are over run, so they develop an attitude "one at a time, no big rush, do my 12 hours and go home".
    People waiting 6 hours + for a NOPD response to their car window busted out and their items stolen.

The 3 YO girl who shot herself very recently with her thug bro's handgun in the Quarter died waiting for EMS. The first two calls for help to 911 went to a recording. FACT

323MAR (resident of NOLA) thinks its somehow amusing. Makes a joke of it and advertises "I'm working in the movie industry, look at me". Just proves how special he really is.

Last edited:

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Another problem might be that the general "call for service" phone number for most calls is not known by the public. So, when they need the Police, even for a non-emergency, they call 911, which in turn has to be rerouted to the correct complaint operator. This also backs up the system, and if there is a serious incident, like a shooting on a crowded Bourbon street, there might be 50 calls, all at the same time to 911. This is in addition to all the other calls to 911, emergency or not (in Orleans Parish-125 square miles). The system can't handle the call overload so it has to go to a recording.
    So, when I see on the NEWS that there was a major incident, and the person says they called 911 and were put on hold, or got a recording, it could be that the other 20 or calls on the same incident got in before theirs. No doubt, when you are the victim of a crime, it is frustrating to call for help and no one answers, or you get a recording. When the Police need to be there in seconds, it takes minutes (or hours), but the Officer cannot respond to it until he is made aware of it and the call is put out over the radio for him to receive it.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Staffing and call volume are most certainly relevant issues, but if you've worked around or had to call NOPD for assistance before, you have most likely seen other factors that influence your opinion.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Westwego and Gretna PD do a good job as well.
    I have to agree. to bad most of the officers I've met from those agencies had horrible attitudes. I've met one Gretna PD officer that wasn't a complete prick. He wasn't in uniform and at a crawfish boil, so maybe being a casual setting, his state of mind was different. I dunno. lol.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Its the sheer number of 911 calls in NOLA today. They (NOPD) are over run, so they develop an attitude "one at a time, no big rush, do my 12 hours and go home".
    People waiting 6 hours + for a NOPD response to their car window busted out and their items stolen.

The 3 YO girl who shot herself very recently with her thug bro's handgun in the Quarter died waiting for EMS. The first two calls for help to 911 went to a recording. FACT

323MAR (resident of NOLA) thinks its somehow amusing. Makes a joke of it and advertises "I'm working in the movie industry, look at me". Just proves how special he really is.

Wow! You love to play fill in the blank don't you?
    You don't even live in the New Orleans Metropolitan area, but you think you know about everything that happens there. That is what I find amusing.

All you see is what the Liberal media wants to report about New Orleans and you eat it up! You don't buy it when the Liberal media portrays gun owners as a bunch of violent thugs, but you believe them when they depict New Orleans as a warzone?

I am well aware of crime in the Metropolitan area(JP and ST has their share too.) I am also aware of the fact that most of what happens in New Orleans has nothing to do with crime. Thousands of people dined at New Orleans restaurants last week with no incident. Last week, there were no reported incidents at French Quarter Fest or the Zurich Golf Tournament. Last week on Sunday night, I personally walked down Bourbon St for an hour and had absolutely no issues.

You also feel the need to insult people who disagree with you and even make pathetic and facetious attempts to belittle them. Grade school has been over for at least 50 years in your case. You are an elder, so try to act like it.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    These pictures were taken while I walked down Bourbon. Do we ever see the Liberal media walk down Bourbon to report that everyone is having a good time?

Attachments

• 20220424_235058.jpg
      20220424_235058.jpg
      301.7 KB · Views: 12
    • 20220424_235018.jpg
      20220424_235018.jpg
      282.5 KB · Views: 14
    • 20220425_000426.jpg
      20220425_000426.jpg
      425.9 KB · Views: 13
    • 20220425_000322.jpg
      20220425_000322.jpg
      338.2 KB · Views: 13
    • 20220424_233617.jpg
      20220424_233617.jpg
      304.4 KB · Views: 13
    • 20220424_233657.jpg
      20220424_233657.jpg
      284.6 KB · Views: 11
    • 20220425_000206.jpg
      20220425_000206.jpg
      284.2 KB · Views: 13

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    If Nola was such a great place, NOPD wouldn't be understaffed. This is so, simply because it's widely known that they don't/won't pay enough to deal with what they have to handle on a daily basis. NOLA is a **** show and everyone knows it. A buddy of mine is a 3 time afghan vet, and has straight up told me, he felt safer walking the down the street there than he does here. In his words, "at least there I knew I was gonna get shot at and had an idea of where it might come from."

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have to agree. to bad most of the officers I've met from those agencies had horrible attitudes. I've met one Gretna PD officer that wasn't a complete prick. He wasn't in uniform and at a crawfish boil, so maybe being a casual setting, his state of mind was different. I dunno. lol.
    They both definitely have reputations for not being the most friendly. I don’t know that I ever met a friendly Gretna cop but I e met a handful of Westwego officers that were good friendly guys.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If Nola was such a great place, NOPD wouldn't be understaffed. This is so, simply because it's widely known that they don't/won't pay enough to deal with what they have to handle on a daily basis. NOLA is a **** show and everyone knows it. A buddy of mine is a 3 time afghan vet, and has straight up told me, he felt safer walking the down the street there than he does here. In his words, "at least there I knew I was gonna get shot at and had an idea of where it might come from."
    It’s bad for sure no denying that but I can understand where he’s coming from saying it’s not as bad as it’s often portrayed to be. I’ve been working in New Orleans East for the past 6 or 7 years since I got out of the navy and never have had an incident. The crime is higher than the surrounding areas for sure but even stoping to get gas or run into a store I’ve never felt unsafe. I no longer stop anywhere until I get to Jefferson closer to home but only because I feel it’s just smarter and safer to do so.

new_bayu_shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, response times are ridiculous. Officers come to work with a 20 call backlog, and get off 12 hours later with a 20 call backlog. Not trying to justify their response time, and it's been 20 years since I retired, but used to be a time when Police Officers actually worked in communications, and screened the incoming calls for service. Lots of the calls received were handled over the phone, and an Officer did not have to be sent out. Many calls weren't even a police matter, and the called was directed to where they should call. Now, just about every call is written up for dispatch, and a car is sent. It could be anything from "He be hitting on me, but I don't want him arrested" (domestic call there for the 10th time), to "My neighbor be looking at me", or a 911 call for "not enough french fries in my order". There used to be 3 eight hour shifts, and 1 man units (for report taking), and 2 man units ( for more serious matters), which meant more units on the street. That was when there were 1800 Patrolman (now called Police Officers) on the street. Now, with around 800 that are actually on the street, there are only 1 man units (except FTO units with a trainee), and most are working 12 hour shifts.
    As stated earlier, not making excuses for the Officers today, just hoping to explain their circumstances.
    Understaffed Patrol Wise. And NOPD is still on 8-hour shifts for now. Just understaffed like many many agencies across the United States.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Understaffed Patrol Wise. And NOPD is still on 8-hour shifts for now. Just understaffed like many many agencies across the United States.

Is that specialized units, or are Officers in the Districts working 3 eight hour shifts per day??? ( Or due to 171, working 8.33 hours per shift??)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom