Gentlemen, meet "Nicoleta."

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Her name is Romanian for "Victory of the People."

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

My Dragunov came in! Yeah, well, I know it's not a *real* Dragunov. It's a PSL, but I ain't paying $2200 for a real one. This rifle definitely has potential. Looks like the hammer, hammer spring, and FCG are interchangeable with the AK. Extra points there. Muzzle brake is wicked-looking. should cut recoil quite considerably. Range report and pics to follow later today after I get back from my 2:30-3:45 class. ***Edit: I got to fire off four rounds before I figured out that the scope was off...alot. Gonna have to do some turret adjustment to get it zeroed in*** Crappy day for shooting. There's like 100% humidity outside due to this fog that's stuck around El Dorado for the past two days. Should be OK for 100m grouping, though. Rifle came with the Romanian 4x Dragunov reticle scope, scope cover, manual, cleaning kit, 1 magazine, lens cloth, sight wrench, gas port cleaner, and metal oil bottle.

Pros: Wood is BEAUTIFUL. The handguards are a nice blonde color, but the buttstock is about a shade darker than the handguard. If I can talk with Dad to see if we can finish it to match the handguards, I'll do it. He's a better woodworker than I am and he'll know better.

Decent trigger pull. A little gritty at first, but once you tighten up on the trigger it gets past it and basically acts as a two-stage trigger. Trigger break is like busting a glass rod. Easily remedied with a bit of work.

Scope is crystal clear, just as good as any Nikon or Leupold optic i've ever seen. I've heard rumors that the Romanians used Zeiss glass for the lenses. Rangefinder is set for a 1.7m tall target. Has integrated sunshade and rubber eye cup.

No mag wiggle, and all four (I bought three extra from AIM) mags fit.

No front sight or gas block cant.

Rifle cycles very smoothly, but this thing is going to throw some metal. I ejected a cartridge and it landed 15 feet away...and that's by hand.

Cons: Finish is about like an above-average Century gun. Not "terrible," but could be better. A bit of rust on the bayonet lug and bayonet lug clamp. That's it, though. Doesn't look like that's the same one that came with the rifle. I'm betting that Tennessee Guns put a different one on. It has the hole for the cleaning rod to fit in, but the handguard doesn't have a hole to slide the rod into. I don't think that these rifles were meant to have the bayonet lug on them. No biggie. I brushed most of the rust off with a copper brush. Minor scratches on the barrel trunnion and top cover. Nothing real major. I'll probably put some Duracoat on it or maybe just about six coats of matte black Krylon. No bake-on enamel here...******* rifle is nearly four feet long, almost three feet to the end of the receiver. 31" to be exact. I already measured. Don't have an oven that big. Very Happy

Scope is only a 4x. I plan on replacing it with an 8x Russian illuminated POSP from http://www.binocularsmart.com and putting this one back for a spare. Might make a good scope to put on an RPK to make an Iraqi Tabuk clone.

One of the padlock holes were broken on the case it came in. No biggie, I plan on getting a better case anyway. This one is just a cheapie DoskoSport case. Might make a good case for my Remington 597.

Rifle is HEAVY..definitely going to need a bipod for this big bastard.

I'm pretty satisfied. If it holds close to MOA i'll be *real* happy with it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    it looks real nice! I dont know much about the AK family of rifles, its 7.62x39 right? If you dont mind how much did it run you?

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    How much did you pay?

I have alot of those 7.62x54R rounds and would like to pick up a rifle for it.

Also, where did you buy it from? Im highly interested in one.

Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Yeah, 7.62x54R. Be sure to *only* shoot the light ball (less than 158gr) out of it...scuttlebutt on the net says that heavy ball will tear these rifles apart. The manual sez that the optimum weight is 147gr. The Hungarian silvertip I just bought is 148 gr. Wolf also makes light ball for these, too. They started not too long ago.

As for the price, I can't tell ya. I got one of the last two my distributor had. I *can* get them elsewhere without the scope. $675. Trust me, though. You *want* to get the 8x illuminated POSP scope for it. the 4x is ok...but for the longer stuff it ain't gonna cut the po-boy. I plan on putting an 8x on mine and putting back the 4x LPS as a spare.

Atlantic Firearms has the exact one I have for $769. I don't advise getting them from AF, though. They gave me a runaround before I got my FFL.

Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    LOL I toldja. $675.

What *I* would do if I was yall, would be getit from me (obviously) without the case and scope. The case is cheap, mine was broken upon arrival. While the scope is nice, it's just too weak for serious shooting. Order one of these

http://www.binocularsmart.com/scopes/svd-rifle-scopes-posp-8x42.shtml

spare mags would run you $20, if you bought them at the same time as you did the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom