Getting into 3-gun competition, have questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Recently my wife came to me and asked me if we could do some competitive shooting. I suggested 3-gun as I have always wanted to get into it. I have a couple of questions about starting out. I have the basic guns, belts and holsters needed.

- Where around the northshore area can you go and practice/compete?
    - Can you use reloaded ammo or is it factory loads only?
    - How long is a typical match?
    - Can we share guns?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Recently my wife came to me and asked me if we could do some competitive shooting. I suggested 3-gun as I have always wanted to get into it. I have a couple of questions about starting out. I have the basic guns, belts and holsters needed.

- Where around the northshore area can you go and practice/compete?
    - Can you use reloaded ammo or is it factory loads only?
    - How long is a typical match?
    - Can we share guns?

Reloaded ammo is fine....just no metal core rifle bullets. If it attracts a magnet you can't use it in a match as they damage the steel targets.
    Your welcome to share firearms if need be.
    Length of match depends on a lot factors. They usually shorten the number of courses in the hot summer months. Typically 3-5 hours.

Last edited:

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    You and the wife can start by going to pistol match, to get use to match safety instructions, rules.
    Amite has a club close to you for all you need to get started.
    Sat. is open to public if not in use by the Tangi. Sheriff Dept.
    It is run by club members and can give you help with any questions .
    You can use both type of ammo with a load factor for major and minor.
    Most Local matches are finish by 2 or 3 pm and start shooting by 9am.
    2 or 3 gun match can last longer it all depends on how many shooters and amount of help to reset from the shooters.
    Yes you can share guns and switch at a designated safe area. It would be safer if each had own Holster and mag pouches.

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I believe there is a 3-gun competition this weekend in Biloxi. Might be worth a drive to go see what it is all about. They are a very welcoming group and will answer all your questions. Watch this forum as they will usually post something today or tomorrow.

jensen330

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Covington, La.
    I shot my 1st 3 gun this past weekend in Gonzales. It was a blast and I am looking forward to the next one for sure.

Like someone else mentioned, I started by shooting pistol matches 1st then worked into the 3 gun.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    It might be better to start in IPSC. All you need is a handgun. Production Class is fairly simple and straight-forward.
    A Glock, S&W M&P, or CZ-75 is all you need gun wise. Basic holster and mag pouches and you're set up

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Thanks for the responses guys. I guess we will try our hand at some pistol matches first and move on from that. I see Tangi Practical shooters has a pistol match set up for July 24. I may go just to get the feel for how the matches are run.

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    You don't live too far from me. I've shot in several classifications and can go through all the gear need to shoot. Also how to train and how the stages are set-up

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I see Tangi Practical shooters has a pistol match set up for July 24. I may go just to get the feel for how the matches are run.

Don't go to just watch, go shoot it. Let them know its your first match and they will help you out. You will learn more by shooting the match.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    EAPS is shooting this weekend in Gonzales (across from Lamar Dixon) on St Landry. We start around 0900. Come shoot and bring the wife so she can shoot. Yes, you can swap the gun around. Look up USPSA.org to get a look at the rules. Come out have fun & bring some water cause it's gonna be hot. You can also look up "lagator.org", this will give you dates and times along with directions to matches in the area. In the next couple of months, Palo Alto will have their new berms completed so we can get CAS back up and running. More fun for everyone.

Bryan

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Forgot to tell you we shot a multi-gun match this past weekend. We are trying shoot this on the second Sunday of the month. We share this time with the Cowboy shooter so we only have it for ~8 months. Go to the East Acension Practical Shooters web site and get on the mailing list.

Bryan

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Also to keep in mind if you are sharing guns - especially in the summer - rifles and shotguns can get really hot so bring gloves for your support hand.

Top Bottom