Glock 30 light strikes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I've got at least a thousand rounds down range with this particular gun and I've run into a problem I've never had with a Glock. Light primer strikes. Out of 3 10 rd mags and 3 different ammo types I had a total of 7 light strikes. Some concurrent to a good shot, some immediately after a previous light strike. I'll readily admit the gun is filthy and probably had 300 hundred rounds through it since its last cleaning. But I've never had a Glock do that. I'm gonna take it to smith but before I do I was wondering if y'all had some ideas as to what could be causing it

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I've got at least a thousand rounds down range with this particular gun and I've run into a problem I've never had with a Glock. Light primer strikes. Out of 3 10 rd mags and 3 different ammo types I had a total of 7 light strikes. Some concurrent to a good shot, some immediately after a previous light strike. I'll readily admit the gun is filthy and probably had 300 hundred rounds through it since its last cleaning. But I've never had a Glock do that. I'm gonna take it to smith but before I do I was wondering if y'all had some ideas as to what could be causing it

That is very unusual if the pistol has only fired a total of 1,000 rounds. Deep clean including the firing pin channel and change the firing pin spring.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    That is very unusual if the pistol has only fired a total of 1,000 rounds. Deep clean including the firing pin channel and change the firing pin spring
    Yeah it immediately struck me as strange. Thanks for the info and advice, that's exactly what I needed. It may be slightly over the 1k mark within couple hundred rounds. Having said that, I've easliy doubled that number of trigger presses with dry fire practice over the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I wouldn't think that's the culprit but is it a possibility?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Yeah it immediately struck me as strange. Thanks for the info and advice, that's exactly what I needed. It may be slightly over the 1k mark within couple hundred rounds. Having said that, I've easliy doubled that number of trigger presses with dry fire practice over the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I wouldn't think that's the culprit but is it a possibility?

Make sure the tip of your firing pin is not chipped or broken and there is no debris in the firing pin channel. If so Glock may replace the firing pin for you.
    It is possible, did you use a dummy round during your dry firing sessions?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Make sure the tip of your firing pin is not chipped or broken and there is no debris in the firing pin channel. If so Glock may replace the firing pin for you.
    I'd say it's probably close to a 50/50 split on that. I didn't start using a dummy round until I got the Mantis and the laser academy

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    What’s your take on dry firing with a Glock JBP55? I used to use a snap cap or dummy round but haven’t in quite some time. I do regular maintenance on all of my Glocks and typically will change out all of the small springs and parts every 3k rounds.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    What’s your take on dry firing with a Glock JBP55? I used to use a snap cap or dummy round but haven’t in quite some time. I do regular maintenance on all of my Glocks and typically will change out all of the small springs and parts every 3k rounds.

Many dry fire as you do without any issues and the parts change routine sounds good also.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Took me a while to get to it but, you were right. Gunked up firing pin channel was the culprit. Thanks for the help!

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Questions as to why it was so gummed up.
    Do you lube the striker channel?
    Seems like I remember the striker channel should be dry?
    What kind of ammo have you been using?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The stiker channel should not be lubricated as per Glock instruction. Even keeping them bone dry debris will eventually build up in them. I remember the first time I fully disassembled a Glock I was shocked to see how dirty the striker channel was. I clean mine every thousand rounds or so.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    This is why Glock put the weep hole there. If you flip the slide over and see the hole opposite the firing pin safety, thats what its there for. It lets out the debris or incorrectly applied oils in the firing pin channel. Unfortunately, YouTube gun armorers put oil in there or moly lube which gunks up and slows the velocity of the firing pin and causes either FTF or intermittent ignition.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    No, but I've also never taken this gun down all the way until yesterday. I shoot whatever I have on hand and can afford so it's seen a whole variety from good to pretty damn bad. Yesterday I ran some critical defense and Winchester whitebox through it to confirm function and it ran fine again once I blew the channel out and ran a q tip through it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I figured out what I did and lube is partly to blame. The other part, the biggest part, was me not using Frog lube correctly. Lesson learned. One I could've avoided had I checked the interwebs prior lol
    Exactly where I was going with this.

Frog Lube, lol...Id think after the dozens of posts of that stuff causing problems it would drop out of use...but some stuff never does.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Exactly where I was going with this.

Frog Lube, lol...Id think after the dozens of posts of that stuff causing problems it would drop out of use...but some stuff never does.
    Agreed. Out of all of the oils/ lubricants available on the market imo frog lube is the absolute worst. I’ve spent hours upon hours reading horror stories of frog lube lol. I tend to nerd out on these type of subjects and find them interesting.

Top Bottom