Help me out here…

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’ve been considering getting myself and possibly my family some sort of plate carriers with body armor for a just in case. Where’s the best place to start looking for stuff like this? Looking for quality gear without spending a fortune. Also maybe something for the children like a plate to stick in their backpacks. Any suggestions on where to start? I’ve looked a decent amount online but with so many options and not knowing exactly what’s what I’d hate to spend money on something that’s of poor quality or not what I thought it was.

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    There’s a ton of good carriers out there. I’d first start with what you plan to do with the carrier. Is it to carry armor AND equipment or just armor. “Slick”carriers can be worn under clothes and depending on cummerbund you can shove a couple mags, Tq, etc in there on the fly. A more traditional plate carrier with the means to carry all your gear will be more expensive and much heavier when loaded out for obvious reasons. My recommendations for a carrier would be ferro, LBT, , first spear for a “slick style”. Those aren’t as expensive as a traditional carrier with all the molle and magazine placard. Another good company that surprised me was 221b tactical. I have one of their plate carriers and so far it has been very nice. I swapped the cummerbund to a molle style to hold gear on the side but other than that it’s the only change I’ve made. They come with a velcro mesh piece that keeps the carrier off your body about 1/4 inch to help prevent over heating and allows sweat to dry faster. They also sell a bunch of stuff tailored for women and children. They have the armored bags you’re speaking off also I believe.

They are kind of tacticool but so far my experience with their qrf carrier has been nothing but pleasant.

If you plan to get yourself more of a load bearing carrier there’s so many options and little differences that will help your comfort in the long run. If you plan to get one of these really sit down and figure out what you want to carry, how heavy it’ll be and what features you would need giving the scenario you have to put this stuff on and use it for what it’s made for. These can get very expensive very fast and you can add a bunch of stuff on there you don’t actually need. My opinion is get your family slick carriers. Itll protect vitals and will likely hold majority of what they need to carry with them. Itll do what you need it to do and that’s it.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    There’s a ton of good carriers out there. I’d first start with what you plan to do with the carrier. Is it to carry armor AND equipment or just armor. “Slick”carriers can be worn under clothes and depending on cummerbund you can shove a couple mags, Tq, etc in there on the fly. A more traditional plate carrier with the means to carry all your gear will be more expensive and much heavier when loaded out for obvious reasons. My recommendations for a carrier would be ferro, LBT, , first spear for a “slick style”. Those aren’t as expensive as a traditional carrier with all the molle and magazine placard. Another good company that surprised me was 221b tactical. I have one of their plate carriers and so far it has been very nice. I swapped the cummerbund to a molle style to hold gear on the side but other than that it’s the only change I’ve made. They come with a velcro mesh piece that keeps the carrier off your body about 1/4 inch to help prevent over heating and allows sweat to dry faster. They also sell a bunch of stuff tailored for women and children. They have the armored bags you’re speaking off also I believe.

They are kind of tacticool but so far my experience with their qrf carrier has been nothing but pleasant.

If you plan to get yourself more of a load bearing carrier there’s so many options and little differences that will help your comfort in the long run. If you plan to get one of these really sit down and figure out what you want to carry, how heavy it’ll be and what features you would need giving the scenario you have to put this stuff on and use it for what it’s made for. These can get very expensive very fast and you can add a bunch of stuff on there you don’t actually need. My opinion is get your family slick carriers. Itll protect vitals and will likely hold majority of what they need to carry with them. Itll do what you need it to do and that’s it.
    I really appreciate that detailed and well thought out response. That helps a ton my man, thanks.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I'm not that versed in body armor, but I'm happy with the ar500 armor I picked up for "just in case someone enters my home". IIIA soft armor and a carrier weren't very expensive and reviews were very good. Hopefully I'll never find out how well soft armor stops rounds. I'd think soft backpack inserts would work better than plates for a child though.

Top Bottom