Hogs Down

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Went to Texas for a Duck Hunt/Hog Hunt/Rabbit Hunt on a Redfish farm. We caught lots of redfish, shot lots of ducks and rabbits. My favorite part of the hunt was the night time hog hunts we did.

It was in a marshy bottom land with mostly chest tall grass and different bushes. We went in after seeing some hogs head in. We could not see them at times and could only hear them in the darkness. They surrounded us and would charge us at times. In the end I harvested two hogs with my Ruger Flattop 44special as they charged. Such an exciting hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
      IMG_1243.jpg
      722.5 KB · Views: 107
    • IMG_1245.jpg
      IMG_1245.jpg
      733.3 KB · Views: 105
    • IMG_1249.jpg
      IMG_1249.jpg
      664.6 KB · Views: 105

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Guided club? Any info?
    Someone my father knows owns a redfish farm in Texas who let us come do all that on his land. Was pretty lucky. He also gave us an inside view to the redfish farm and how it runs. Very cool. Being there for a few days definitely gave me a new appreciation for what it takes for a redfish to get to a person’s plate when ordered at a restaurant.

Last edited:

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I knew a guy whose family had a redfish farm in South TX area…Austwell, to be exact. They had a ton of land that bordered the Aransas NWR. It was like going to a zoo…you never knew what you were going to see. We killed a lot of hogs down there at night.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    thanks for sharing, I guess I had not considered redfish as one they farmed. I always thought it was commercial and bicatch.. very cool

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Way to go !!! Life is too short without some excitement to keep you interested. LSU at one time and still may have a couple of ponds that were dedicated to redfish at the aquaponics research station on Ben Hur in Baton Rouge. Once redfish reach a certain age they can be raised in freshwater ponds like your friend has. I’d like to know a little more of how they do it. You have anything you can share on that ??

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Way to go !!! Life is too short without some excitement to keep you interested. LSU at one time and still may have a couple of ponds that were dedicated to redfish at the aquaponics research station on Ben Hur in Baton Rouge. Once redfish reach a certain age they can be raised in freshwater ponds like your friend has. I’d like to know a little more of how they do it. You have anything you can share on that ??
    He showed us a little of how they do it. They have a hatchery that houses two big tanks. They have their broods on there. One of them is a large 56 pound Redfish that they put females in there with. He picks the females he likes and then does his thing. Once the eggs are ready they skim them out of the tank and take them to incubaters whre they are hatched. Then they move them outside to their first pond. There they grow to whatever size they need them to move to their next pond where they gro to (I believe) 3-4 pounds and are harvested.
    We watched them pull 15,000 pounds of redfish out of one pond while we were there. Pretty amazing to see.

They put them straight from the pond to the shipping containers and then they drain some water and put ice on top of them where it cools down their body temp and freezes them/kills them while in route to the buyer. That ensures that they are as fresh as can be.

There are two crews of Mexicans who work around the clock.

Now, there are lots of little things that have to happen in between all of that and it gave me a whole new appreciation for what it takes to get a redfish from start to resturant plate.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
      IMG_1292.jpg
      461.1 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_1293.jpg
      IMG_1293.jpg
      380.8 KB · Views: 23
    • IMG_1294.jpg
      IMG_1294.jpg
      468.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics