illegally sawed off on both ends?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/3225

AKIMA -- Friends of a 20-year-old man who accidentally shot himself after putting a sawed-off shotgun in his pants initially claimed he was the victim of a drive-by shooting, Yakima police said.

The man, suffering from massive groin damage, was airlifted to a Seattle hospital where he was reported in satisfactory condition Monday.

Police found the man in the 700 block of North 24th Avenue about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, but quickly deduced his injuries did not correspond to reports of a drive-by shooting.

The officers then got a search warrant for a house about a half block away and confirmed their suspicion the shooting was self-inflicted. The man was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Capt. Greg Copeland said both barrels of the shotgun accident-ally discharged when the man for unknown reasons placed the gun, which was loaded with birdshot, in his pants.

On Monday, police said the shotgun had been illegally sawed off on both ends.

During the search of the house, officers said they also found a 9 mm Ruger semiautomatic pistol that had been reported stolen in Spokane.

Copeland said police expect to ask prosecutors for felony weapons charges against the man, who has a lengthy criminal record that includes convictions for assault, theft and drug use.

It was unclear if the man is an active gang member. According to court records, his involvement in a shooting in 2003 was gang-related.

I had a shotgun confiscated that was of legal length that the officer told me was illegal because a certified gunsmith didn't cut the barrel down, WTF? Is that what they are ging to claim in this case or do you think it was too short of a barrel thus making it an AOW? And what does the other end have to do with anything?

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    I'm assuming the "other end" of it has to do with converting a rifle into a pistol w/o registering it as a Title 2 weapon?

So a weapon that leaves the factory as a rifle cannot be converted into a pistol using that same frame. Now if you take a separate frame that has never been assembled as a rifle and make it into a pistol...I'm assuming this is legal?

Anyways, I encountered this when I was thinking of making a saiga shotgun pistol--I was told to legally make it I'd have to start with a fresh receiver.

This may be all BS...it's just what google told me :D

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=239

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    He likely cut the barrels too short (less than 18"), then cut the stock off making the overall length less than legal (26"). Can't imagine how else he'd fit it in his pants.

Either way, it's just nature taking its course, making sure that guy never reproduces.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    stupid-shirt.gif

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    I'm assuming the "other end" of it has to do with converting a rifle into a pistol w/o registering it as a Title 2 weapon?

So a weapon that leaves the factory as a rifle cannot be converted into a pistol using that same frame. Now if you take a separate frame that has never been assembled as a rifle and make it into a pistol...I'm assuming this is legal?

Anyways, I encountered this when I was thinking of making a saiga shotgun pistol--I was told to legally make it I'd have to start with a fresh receiver.

That is correct with regards to rifle caliber pistols, but I don't know about shotguns. I think a smoothbore pistol, regardless of how it's built, has to be registered as an AOW if it's > .50 cal.

Oh yeah, and "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". :p

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.

Rifle to pisol-Not legal
    Pistol to rifle -Leagle
    Putting a pisol grip on a shotgun -Leagle
    Cutting a barrel less than 18 in on a shotgun-Not leagle
    Putting a AOW down your pants- Stupid

armtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    I am new to forum and I have always been curious about the 18" rule. From what I have been able to drum up the length there is no standard start to finish piont for teh barrel...

For eaxample there is a min. length the gun has to be from the barrel to the end of the stock.

But, are they taking the measurment of the barrel from the end to the reciver or the end of the barrel to end of barrel?

If someone can clarify that for me I would appreciate it.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    i was just joking man, calm down. my grammer on here is nowhere near perfect and i didnt realize it was a month old. sorry if i offended anyone. you can make fun of me all you want.....its not going to hurt my feelings. and if i get banned for pointing out spelling errors then something is seriously wrong

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    i was just joking man, calm down. my grammer on here is nowhere near perfect and i didnt realize it was a month old. sorry if i offended anyone. you can make fun of me all you want.....its not going to hurt my feelings. and if i get banned for pointing out spelling errors then something is seriously wrong
    Jokes are funny but be carefull there is a fine line between being a joker and being a troll.:D As for my spelling I had no idea we were being graded.Ill work on it just for you.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    I am new to forum and I have always been curious about the 18" rule. From what I have been able to drum up the length there is no standard start to finish piont for teh barrel...

For eaxample there is a min. length the gun has to be from the barrel to the end of the stock.

But, are they taking the measurment of the barrel from the end to the reciver or the end of the barrel to end of barrel?

If someone can clarify that for me I would appreciate it.

The accepted (BATF) means of measurement is to insert a rod or dowel down the barrel against the face of the closed bolt......., and measure that.
    From the face of the closed bolt to the barrel end is the measure thats used.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    The accepted (BATF) means of measurement is to insert a rod or dowel down the barrel against the face of the closed bolt......., and measure that.
    From the face of the closed bolt to the barrel end is the measure thats used.

Jeaux E, do you even have a shotgun with a barrel long enough to put a dowel in?????? :D

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I heard that the ATF is working to make it illegal to handload ammo anymore without getting a manufacturing license from them. Also, the same with regards to anything installed on a firearm that wasn't attached during manufacture, such as flash supressors, muzzle brakes, higher cap. magazines, laser sights, etc. Is this true?

Also, there is currently background work going on to ban gunshows in the near future.

Top Bottom