Is a single sided blade punch dagger leagal in louisiana ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svilardo_85

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    MANDEVILLE
    Was wondering before i purchased it
    It would be a great self defense alternative if needed but not cool if I'd get busted for having one
    It's small with 2" single sided blade and can be worn under a shirt around the neck
    Ive tried looking up the laws but gave up
    Any insight is appreciated thanks

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It would be a great self defense alternative if needed but not cool if I'd get busted for having one
    It's small with 2" single sided blade and can be worn under a shirt around the neck
    It's a fairly subpar method for self-defense with only niche applications (mostly limited to ground fighting). You would likely be better suited pairing a concealed firearm with a less lethal option such as self-defense spray.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    My understanding, La has done away with those archaic (switch blade / butterfly knife) knife laws and all blades are legal. But to piggy back off that, as a single, effectively “fixed” blade, it would also be legal. Just an opinion, not legal advice. But in 14 years, I never charged anyone for a knife they were just carrying.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My understanding, La has done away with those archaic (switch blade / butterfly knife) knife laws and all blades are legal. But to piggy back off that, as a single, effectively “fixed” blade, it would also be legal. Just an opinion, not legal advice. But in 14 years, I never charged anyone for a knife they were just carrying.
    Obviously you know this, but charges like that are usually just an arsehole tax. :chuckles:

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I was pulled over in Texas once, being young and naive, when they asked to search my S10, I obliged.

One pops up with a knife I had forgotten was even in there. It had actually been there so long it rusted into the carpet and with about 2-3” of the top was “sharpened”. The handle was stacked leather rings so dry rotted I wrapped electrical tap to fill in the ones that fell off. I got the whole, “boy, you want to go to prison for carrying a double edged dagger, why didn’t you tell us there’s a weapon in the car” speech.

Well, I guess if you weren’t up to date on your tetanus, I guess it could have been a weapon……

The back up officer arrived and talked some sense into Boss Hogg. And we all went out merry way. So, since then, I tried to read up on knife laws and being a LEO also try to stay on top of things. But at the end of the day, stay out of trouble and the VAST majority of the time police won’t even notice you and as long as you’re not going on a stabby mcstabberson spree, most don’t care what you carry.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I love it when people would discuss knife blade length. And people would said it couldn't be longer than your palm. And I would ask if only people with big hands could carry long blades. They would look crazy at me.
    It amazes me to this day how this is still perpetuated as “law” even in LE. And I have to respond with whose hand, mine (XXL gloves) or a 5’ 98lb females hand.

“Ohhhhhhh, yeah that doesn’t make any sense” usually follows up.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Before I even read down this page, let me just wish you luck on a yes or no answer. You’ll likely get a ton of the “insight” you asked for though. Come on, laugh with me, LOLOLOL!!
    That being said, unless I’m mistaken, the brass knuckle trench knives are the only knife not legal for carry in Louisiana, including automatics, but check your local ordinances, as this guy suggests:

Last edited:

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Before I even read down this page, let me just wish you luck on a yes or no answer. You’ll likely get a ton of the “insight” you asked for though. Come on, laugh with me, LOLOLOL!!
    That being said, unless I’m mistaken, the brass knuckle trench knives are the only knife not legal for carry in Louisiana, including automatics, but check your local ordinances, as this guy suggests:

Any links as far as the trench knives prohibited?

Some may fall under concealed weapons carry, which should go away July 4th. Other than a few local city ordinances, seems blades are a free for all

Major Louisiana Cities with Knife Restrictive Ordinances:

Baton Rouge – § 13:95, Prohibits the manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade.

New Orleans – § 54-342, Prohibits, among other things, possession and carry of any switchblade. § 54-342, Prohibits possession of weapons at demonstrations.

Shreveport – § 50-135.2, Prohibits possession of weapons at government facilities and facilities owned by the City.”

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Some may fall under concealed weapons carry, which should go away July 4th. Other than a few local city ordinances, seems blades are a free for all

Baton Rouge – § 13:95, Prohibits the manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade.

New Orleans – § 54-342, Prohibits, among other things, possession and carry of any switchblade. § 54-342, Prohibits possession of weapons at demonstrations.

Shreveport – § 50-135.2, Prohibits possession of weapons at government facilities and facilities owned by the City.”
    As I have mentioned before, an Ole Garlic Breath NOPD officer took my buck knife from back in the early 2000's. Told me to give him the knife or I was going to jail. All I was doing was walking down the street with a girl.

Pretty sure these laws have changes and these cities can not trump state law any more so their laws are bunk now.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Does the law going into effect July 4th cover all weapons? Or just handguns like our Concealed Handgun Permits does?

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    I haven’t read the exact statute, but concealed weapons laws like 32:95.1, use vague definitions like “felony illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities”, legislation usually leaves things vague and rarely black and white. So until it comes out and maybe even after, there could be some convoluted language in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom