Just made an interesting discovery about my Marlin Model 60 .22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's not an M60 at all! :o

Let's go back...I got this rifle for my 10th birthday. I think my dad got it in a small town pawn shop for $40. First gun I ever shot or owned, and it's followed me around for the last 16 years, which is quite a task especially through my teenage "sell everything I own for drugs" years. :rofl:

Anywho...today I ran out of guns to clean before I felt like I was done playing with guns. So what do you do? Pull out your ol' .22 and completely "remodel" it. I had painted it at least 4 times over the years and even colored the stock completely with a sharpie. So I strip it down to bare metal and find a rollmark I had never seen before saying it was a Marlin Model 99. WTF?! All these years I've been lying to people!

I look it up and apparently this is the father of the Model 60, and was only made 1959-1961. :cool:

It's not really in collectible shape, and I'd never sell it anyway. So I went ahead with my plan to rebuild it. I'll post pics when I finish refinishing the stock. Everything else is done, I decided to do a polished receiver and trigger guard, with the barrel and small parts "redneck blued", aka semi-gloss black engine paint.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Looks cool, I didn't know anything like that existed. I'll see how the engine paint holds up. I had brush painted it with residential latex paint when I was like 12 and it held up for almost 15 years and probably 5,000 rounds, so I'm thinkin' I'll be okay. I guess the little .22 just doesn't give off much heat.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Aluma-Hyde II will dry to a very hard coat and comes in a few colors. You can do two to three guns with one can. Oh, and it looks good too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom