Keep Our Waterways Open Sign Bill HB4

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Louisiana might one of a few if not only state in the nation that navigable water is not public. The crude about it was dry land 150 years ago means that you can post the water is bunk. When the land is built back then it can be posted but not when it is navigable water that leads to the sea.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Nothing gonna be done about it. Too many rich landowners that have politicians in their pockets. We just had a couple of local pols running that said that they would support it but when it came down to it they caved. Even conservation groups such as CCA cave to money and I am glad to see their membership numbers dwindling. Louisiana is the ONLY state that doesn't enforce the nationally recognized "High Tide Line" that ALL other coastal states do.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If I may, I can shed some light on this.

This matter has been around for a long time. However, it started to hit a fever pitch in the 90's and it was addressed in Jefferson Parish. When posed with the question, it was decided that there had to be a template to follow of what was "navigable waterways" and what was not. JP chose a state map of Louisiana from the late 1800's. I cannot recollect the exact year used. It clearly showed existing natural waterways that were essentially untouched or undeveloped by oil company's to date.

Using that template, ANY citizen could raise a question about an existing or newly created gated waterway. That question would be answered by that template map. If that waterway existed at the date of that template map, it could NOT be gated; and if it were, the obstruction was to be removed at the builder's expense. Tides have nothing to do with it.

Now, this was just how Jefferson Parish was going to handle it, it was not a statewide effort. If this issue must be addressed on a state level, then I would advise the Legislature to explore JP's method as an equally effective means for the rest of the state.

Bottom line: If it is a man made canal cut through someone's property after the template map, respect a property owners rights, and go fish somewhere else!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Bottom line: If it is a man made canal cut through someone's property after the template map, respect a property owners rights, and go fish somewhere else!
    So they should be responsible for erosion caused to other land because of cutting the canals.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So they should be responsible for erosion caused to other land because of cutting the canals.
    Well that depends. Most of the canals in question were cut by the oil companies a long time ago. With the exception of corprate owned lands, much of the private ownership transfers happened over time and after the fact. If everyone was being truthful, those oil companies are almost solely responsible for the accelerated land loss of the Louisiana coasts. They, and in part, the US Army Corp of Engineers.

A long history of Louisiana governors, politicians, and bureaucrats have sold this state down the river to enrich themselves and the oil companies. Louisiana "should" be one of the richest states in the country, instead; disappearing sh*t hole!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Well that depends. Most of the canals in question were cut by the oil companies a long time ago. With the exception of corprate owned lands, much of the private ownership transfers happened over time and after the fact. If everyone was being truthful, those oil companies are almost solely responsible for the accelerated land loss of the Louisiana coasts. They, and in part, the US Army Corp of Engineers.

A long history of Louisiana governors, politicians, and bureaucrats have sold this state down the river to enrich themselves and the oil companies. Louisiana "should" be one of the richest states in the country, instead; disappearing sh*t hole!
    No Doubt that we should be one of the richest. New Orleans should rival New York but instead all the money is squandered away and stolen. They ran the oil industry to Houston in the 1980s and look at that place now. It could be here.

Also, oil companies were supposed to fill in the canals after they left. They did not. So I do not care about their property rights as a corporation when it comes to water ways. Letting us fish these canals is a small price for them to pay when they should be paying a lot more for all the damage they caused.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I support it and hate what the oil companies and some rich landowners have done but I don’t think this is battle we will ever win.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No Doubt that we should be one of the richest. New Orleans should rival New York but instead all the money is squandered away and stolen. They ran the oil industry to Houston in the 1980s and look at that place now. It could be here.

Also, oil companies were supposed to fill in the canals after they left. They did not. So I do not care about their property rights as a corporation when it comes to water ways. Letting us fish these canals is a small price for them to pay when they should be paying a lot more for all the damage they caused.
    The damage, the garbage, and the unfulfilled promises of repair they left behind is very sad indeed. But, is it the "oil" companies gating these waterways, or is it private landowners or non-petroleum related corporations; or both? I didn't think the "oil" companies still actually owned and manage marsh property?!? They were mostly lessee's.

Nonetheless, the argument is it's a liability issue above and beyond anything else for existing owners. Perhaps there is some greed; and security reasons too, but; property boundaries are not fluid, unless the land is gone or has receded into an existing body of water or lake.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    The damage, the garbage, and the unfulfilled promises of repair they left behind is very sad indeed. But, is it the "oil" companies gating these waterways, or is it private landowners or non-petroleum related corporations; or both? I didn't think the "oil" companies still actually owned and manage marsh property?!? They were mostly lessee's.

Nonetheless, the argument is it's a liability issue above and beyond anything else for existing owners. Perhaps there is some greed; and security reasons too, but; property boundaries are not fluid, unless the land is gone or has receded into an existing body of water or lake.
    " property boundaries are not fluid," Oh yes they are in other states. I gained 5 acres of land in Mississippi because a creek changed course. The creek was the property line. When it changed course the land became mine.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Bingo.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

When the land is sold it should be surveyed and the new owners should be taxed/fined for every sq ft of land they don’t preserve.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Then you are a proponent of reparations. Because that is the same logic being used to promote that nonsense.

I get it. It sucks that some guy or company gated your once favorite fishing canal. But if it is his or theirs legally (at least in Jefferson Parish for now). And the canal was man made after the map I cited, they have the right to do with it as they please.

Keep in mind, I am not talking about ANY other Parish. I am not knowledgeable about other Parishes approach to this particular issue.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    When the land is sold it should be surveyed and the new owners should be taxed/fined for every sq ft of land they don’t preserve.
    What do you propose for those property owners who lost hundreds if not thousands of acres of marsh after Ida or any other natural disaster? More than half the marsh south and southeast of Lake Salvador is completely gone now. Someone legally owned that! But it is gone now. And it has become part of the Little Lake system (unless there is any land features like spoil banks of canals left).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Then you are a proponent of reparations. Because that is the same logic being used to promote that nonsense.

I get it. It sucks that some guy or company gated your once favorite fishing canal. But if it is his or theirs legally (at least in Jefferson Parish for now). And the canal was man made after the map I cited, they have the right to do with it as they please.

Keep in mind, I am not talking about ANY other Parish. I am not knowledgeable about other Parishes approach to this particular issue.

I could care less if it’s posted because the erosion is so bad that a gate only works for so long then you can just go around it lol. And honestly who cares a few more years there won’t be any marsh left outside the flood levees for anyone to care about.
    I’ll leave it at this: if anything the law helps me as I have access to places most don’t (I still think the law is wrong).

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    What do you propose for those property owners who lost hundreds if not thousands of acres of marsh after Ida or any other natural disaster? More than half the marsh south and southeast of Lake Salvador is completely gone now. Someone legally owned that! But it is gone now. And it has become part of the Little Lake system (unless there is any land features like spoil banks of canals left).
    Same thing I propose people do after a flood…. rebuild or move.

Hey I love it bigger lakes equals more fishing area for the public lol.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I could care less if it’s posted because the erosion is so bad that a gate only works for so long then you can just go around it lol. And honestly who cares a few more years there won’t be any marsh left outside the flood levees for anyone to care about.
    I’ll leave it at this: if anything the law helps me as I have access to places most don’t (I still think the law is wrong).
    That is the problem; I don't think there is a law to address this outside of Jefferson Parish.

However, bear this in mind; if you are going around a gate or barricade (in Jefferson Parish), but there is still enough of a spoil levee or any other patchwork of marsh left to determine a property boundary, your are still trespassing! :dunno:
    Same thing I propose people do after a flood…. rebuild or move.

Hey I love it bigger lakes equals more fishing area for the public lol.
    Most lost marsh was uninhabited as you know. The future does not look bright for what marsh is left or the fishing. The eco-system that supports these fish you like to chase is collapsing. Speckled trout and redfish are being overfished and in trouble; and flounders have all but disappeared already.

Guess who no one can blame anymore? Commercial fishing! They've been forced out of the game for the last 28 years!

Let's see the Gulf Coast Con Artists fix this without a scapegoat.

Enjoy it all while you can everyone!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That is the problem; I don't think there is a law to address this outside of Jefferson Parish.

However, bear this in mind; if you are going around a gate or barricade (in Jefferson Parish), but there is still enough of a spoil levee or any other patchwork of marsh left to determine a property boundary, your are still trespassing! :dunno:

Most lost marsh was uninhabited as you know. The future does not look bright for what marsh is left or the fishing. The eco-system that supports these fish you like to chase is collapsing. Speckled trout and redfish are being overfished and in trouble; and flounders have all but disappeared already.

Guess who no one can blame anymore? Commercial fishing! They've been forced out of the game for the last 28 years!

Let's see the Gulf Coast Con Artists fix this without a scapegoat.

Enjoy it all while you can everyone!
    I’ll never damage a gate or drag a boat over land but if my boat is floating on water I’m not overly concerned about it. Most don’t realize there’s really not many of these tickets handed out.

I think the mash will hold up for the few years I have left in Louisiana….Love the state but I don’t see the future growth.

I personally don’t see any shortage of speckled trout and flounder have always been hit and miss for me now IMO redfish is just a nasty drum so I could care less about them lol.

Do you have private property that’s effected by this law?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I’ll never damage a gate or drag a boat over land but if my boat is floating on water I’m not overly concerned about it. Most don’t realize there’s really not many of these tickets handed out.

I think the mash will hold up for the few years I have left in Louisiana….Love the state but I don’t see the future growth.

I personally don’t see any shortage of speckled trout and flounder have always been hit and miss for me now IMO redfish is just a nasty drum so I could care less about them lol.

Do you have private property that’s effected by this law?
    No! But the 2nd best marsh rabbit hunting area I ever hunted around Lafitte was eventually shut off by a gate. It sucked, but after I discovered the land and the gate were all on the up and up, I accepted it! It was all destroyed by Ida for the most part anyway.

Again, if there is a statewide effort to solve this issue, I have to believe that the Jefferson Parish model is the way it will most likely end up.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    No! But the 2nd best marsh rabbit hunting area I ever hunted around Lafitte was eventually shut off by a gate. It sucked, but after I discovered the land and the gate were all on the up and up, I accepted it! It was all destroyed by Ida for the most part anyway.

Again, if there is a statewide effort to solve this issue, I have to believe that the Jefferson Parish model is the way it will most likely end up.
    There’s more to it than JP. It’s a statewide problem and has been to court before unfortunately it’s always fishermen fighting very wealthy people. It’s likely to never change and I’m likely to keep fishing the way I always have.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom