LDWF 2012 Waterfowl Population Estimates

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Here's the report with chart;

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF WILDLIFE & FISHERIES
    POST OFFICE BOX 98000
    BATON ROUGE, LA 70898-9000

Waterfowl Population Estimates
    Date:
    Coastal Zone: Sept. 10-12, 2012 in Louisiana’s Coastal Zone
    Catahoula Lake: Sept. 12, 2012
    U.S. Highway 90 and on Catahoula Lake

Reported By: L. Reynolds, J. Olszak and B. Davis
    September 13, 2012

Pilot: B. Dorsa

Estimates made from Aircraft

bpbbuyxpurts8iidf1x.jpg

COMMENTS:

The 189,000 blue-winged teal estimated on this survey is 12% higher than last year’s estimate of 169,000 but 21% below the long-term average of 240,000. All regions were different from 2011 with a 21% increase in southwest Louisiana, an increase from 4,000 to 18,000 at Catahoula Lake, and a decline from 30,000 to 7,000 in southeast Louisiana. The 164,000 estimated in southwest Louisiana is higher than the prior 3 September survey estimates but remains about 10% below the most recent 5-year average which includes the very large estimate (444,000) in 2008. The largest concentrations in southwest Louisiana were seen in the marsh south of the East Cove Unit of Cameron Prairie NWR, and in shallow-flooded agricultural fields northwest of Gueydan and off the survey transects north of Welsh. There were no concentrations of teal on southeast Louisiana transects, and the 7,000 estimated in that region is the lowest on record. With the 11,000 in 2010, 18,000 in 2009, and 13,000 in 2008, the 4 lowest blue-winged teal estimates for southeast Louisiana have come during the last 5 September surveys.

The estimated 19,000 mottled ducks is down 30% from the 27,000 last year and is the lowest September estimate on record for this species. The 14,000 in southwest is the lowest since 2002, when only 11,000 were estimated in the region and the total estimate was only 20,000 coastwide. The 5,000 mottled ducks in southeast Louisiana is the lowest estimate on record for that region.

Survey results may have been affected by hurricane Isaac in southeast Louisiana and high water levels in the marshes of southwest Louisiana. Isaac’s storm surge removed almost all of the submerged aquatic vegetation in Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St. Bernard Parishes, and water levels were still very high in those marshes, creating conditions that were not conducive to attracting and holding early-season migrants. High water levels in southwest Louisiana marshes appeared to be responsible for a shift in mottled ducks northward into the agricultural region seen during the April breeding survey, and water levels were higher than normal over much of southwest Louisiana during this survey. Agricultural areas north of I-10 are not included in the fall surveys. Water levels were also a concern at Catahoula Lake where managers drained the lake 6 feet below management target in preparation for hurricane Isaac, followed by flooding to 3 feet above management target by rainfall and runoff, and then rapid de-watering over the past week. Water level was near the 27.5 foot target at the time of this survey, and nearly all of the ducks counted were in one flock at the north end of the lake.

Habitat conditions in southwest Louisiana are much improved over the drought conditions seen in 2011 despite the higher-than-optimum water levels. Only average production of moist-soil vegetation was noted, but very good submerged aquatic growth was seen in most habitats. In addition to managed water, some shallow flooding from recent rainfall was noted in agricultural areas. In southeast Louisiana, habitat quality was reduced markedly by the hurricane, especially the food resources provided by SAV. However, those effects were not evident further west in the Terrebonne Parish marshes and the Atchafalaya Delta where very good habitat conditions await migrating ducks. Prior to the flooding from hurricane Isaac, growth of seed-producing annual vegetation was expanding after a late drawdown at Catahoula Lake, and foraging habitat appeared to be better than last year. The impact of the extreme water-level fluctuation on forage production is unknown, but it will likely be similar to 2011, which was considered below-average.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Water and quality of habitat available.

Take note, this is for THIS week. Next week could be a total different ball game.

But SWLA has always held Teal(and Gadwall) especially below I-10 in the Marshes.

Glad I'm not missing out then. Boat won't be ready for another couple weeks.

Heartless

I get off on the pain.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Marrero, LA
    I'm originally form Georgia and I've never really got into duck hunting. Is it worth the initial investment, you know boat and gear and stamp and all.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Just wait till the front comes in next week, they are calling for it to push them back down here..
    I have been out all week, and while our duck pond is dry in the basin, they are everywhere in the other parts of the property (south of I10, 13 miles)
    I am not a duck hunter, but a few in the lease are..

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    well that depends on your definition of "worth". I could buy thousands of pounds of ribeyes for what I have spent on a boat/lease/shells/decoys/clothing/shotguns/etc..., but I enjoy waterfowling more than any other type of hunting. Much more enjoyable to me as I can go with my Dad, brother, son, friends, etc and have a good time instead of sitting still in a tree or wooden box freezing trying not to make a sound.

Heck, I don't even really care for the taste of most ducks, I usually just keep the teal that I shoot and give away the rest to friends.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    It's worth it to me. Probably my favorite thing to do, but I normally have a camp to go to. I have the comradely which is also a big factor

jungle33

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2023
    Utah
    Back in the 70s, an article on bluebill duck hunting on the east coast gave me the forever hunting bug. It was a son and his father, and the boy used a .410. It was in a magazine like "Country Magazine" or "Mother Earth".

Anyone by chance know which article I am talking about? I would love to find it. Been trying but its a long shot. Someone said it might have also been in Outdoor Life.

Top Bottom