Light weight 10/22 recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I would like to buy or build a semi auto Ruger 10/22 pattern rifle in the summer time. The over all package needs to be light weight, optics ready and be able to run a suppressor. Only cheap bulk ammo will be used. I would like a light trigger like my tikka tac a1 w/ aftermarket trigger spring. It does not matter if it's a one or two stage trigger.

As for scopes, I'd like it to be on par with the SWFA ultra light. If it can be dialed, id like it to be mils. Google shows people recommending leupold's rimfire series but they are heavier.

As far as the rifle using only bulk ammo, am I better off buying built, off the shelf or taking a 10/22 and modding it myself? The Thompson TCR-22 seems to check all the boxes. It would be great if the stock folded and the over all rifle itself were lighter. Tacticalsol makes a bunch of variants as well. For example this is a little lighter than an off the shelf 10/22 from what I see but far heavier than the Thompson.

I am not trying to obtain a sub 1moa group. We are used to shooting a 30+ year old marlin with a bent Bushnell scope and it works amazing. However, I wont get it threaded for a can so I need something new.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    You can get a Ruger 10/22 with a tapered profile barrel with a flash hider for about $350 and uprgrade anything and everything your heart desires. Most folding stocks are gonna weigh 2-3 lbs and range from $80-$300. With the cheapest and likely the lightest being the Archangel folder. You can upgrade and tune the trigger group if you need.

Have you looked at a Ruger Charger, essentially a 10/22 pistol that can be had up for about $350 and add a brace if necessary.

Not trying to take away anything from the Thompson, I’m just a fan of Rugers and have really enjoyed putting a couple together.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Bergara BXR Carbon

Different option linked above. Use the quote feature for $572. 5.2 lbs, Threaded CF barrel, 3.5 pound trigger, Bentz chamber so it will cycle the cheap stuff. They are discontinued so only left what is out there.

I have a T/Cr22-they are great and just what you are looking for. A little bit harder to find. They have been out of production longer.

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Take a look at the Ruger website Mdl 21186. Bought one from Cabela's a couple years ago. Shoots great.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ruger 10/22 takedown

Crazy Ivan aluminum skeletonized chassis

Volquartsen trigger group

Tactical Solutions SBX barrel

CMMG Ripstock

Pay no attention to the NOX35 thermal. Lol

IMG_1696.jpeg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    my main suggestions would be carbon fiber barrel and don’t rule out the BX trigger! I’ve dropped that set up in all 3 of our 10/22’s and I don’t know why anyone spends all that extra cheese on Volquartsen and so forth when the $60 Ruger complete cassette works so well and is so trouble free. Also, unless you spend a lot, it’s hard to find a lighter stock than the factory wood. Modding to fit a bull barrel is pretty easy.
    I caught a threaded carbon fiber barrel on sale last year pretty cheap. Shop around.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've got a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with one of the Magpul stocks that is lightweight and holds 3 mags in the buttstock. It came pre-threaded and I'll be snagging a Deadair Mask HD soon(ish) for it.

I have a little red-dot on it and have been able to hit the bullseye at 100 yards, so it gets the job done.

Definitely not hitting <2MOA with this setup, but it gets the job done quite well and is fun to shoot - especially with the large 'banana clips'!

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Start with a standard 10/22. Used is fine because you'll want to change out most of the parts anyway. Torque the takedown screw to 20 inch/pounds and test fire from a rest using CCI Standard Velocity (CCI-SV). This will give you a baseline to see where you are going. Only make one improvement at a time, then test fire again.

1. Modify the bolt hold-open by grinding off the nub (simplest) or replacing with a Volquartsen or Kidd part, usually around $10-$12.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...t-release-modification.1275373/#post-13032672

2. Replace the hammer with one from Volquartsen or Clark, usually runs around $40. This will reduce the trigger pull to around 2.5 lbs. Don't need the parts set with both hammer and trigger, unless you want to spend more money and go below 2.5 lbs. OR buy one of the BX trigger packs for around $70 which will also take you down to 2.5 lbs.

2A. Most factory barrels have a pressure point near the tip of the forearm. Sand out the pressure point to free-float the barrel. Sandpaper wrapped around a long socket or a broomstick works well for this. Test. If it doesn't group better you can always add back a new pressure point using double sided tape and a piece of bike tire innertube. Next step would be to replace the barrel.

3. Replace the barrel with a lightweight aluminum bull barrel with a steel liner. Most are about 10 oz lighter than their same length standard taper all-steel barrel. Might not need to do this if your factory barrel shoots sufficiently accurately. Test first then decide. Lightweight barrels may be found from Clark, Kidd, or Acculite to name a few. I'm partial to the Acculite Standard (without flutes and without comp). I don't use a threaded barrel on the 10/22's, just on the CZ 457.

https://www.acculite22.com/category-s/55.htm

This is where your costs shoot up, as these barrels often run $200-$350.

4. If you've got this far, might as well change out the stock for one that you prefer. Nothing wrong with a standard carbine stock, just might have to ream out the barrel channel with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a broomstick if you are going to a bull barrel. My personal preference is the Magpul Hunter X22 with adjustable length of pull, the capability to change out the cheek piece to properly align your head/eye behind the scope, and a reversible barrel tray, one side for a standard taper barrel and then flip it over for a bull barrel.

5. Lube with Hornady One Shot. This is a PTFE based dry lube and cleaner. Don't use oil, .22 rounds are dirty, emit lots of powder when fired and when mixed with oil it just gums up the action.

6. Other things you can do: Add an extended magazine release. Add a scope rail that extends forward over the barrel. I like the Power Custom model but others are available. This allows you to mount your scope further forward to give you enough eye relief. Only use 10-round magazines. The 25-round mags are problematic. Mount a single-power scope, as they are usually lighter than a multi-power. Change out the bolt handle and return spring for one from Kidd (much smoother). Drill and tap the trigger blade for an overtravel screw.

The three below were built for grandkids so have shorter length of pull than normal.
    Top: Magpul Hunter x22 Stock, Acculite 18.5" aluminum barrel.
    Middle: Brownells Youth Stock, Acculite 16.5" aluminum barrel w/flutes
    Bottom: Blackhawk Axiom Stock, Acculite 16.5" aluminum barrel.

IMG_3785.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom