M1 Garand Relod Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    New to reloading and I began reloading for my M1 Garand. I wanted to test the cycling function with my Garand. All safety precautions were taken as I loaded a clip of reloads into the magazine. I then pulled back on the op-rod and ejected the first round, released the op-rod and chambered the next round. At around the third cartridge entering the chamber, I am unable to pull the op-rod back to extract the round. The first time this happened I had to disassemble the M1 and (while pointed in a safe direction), used a rubber mallet to unjam the oprod and extract the round. Upon inspection of the round I noticed a very dark narrow ring around the front of the case neck where it meets the seated bullet. A quick check online doesn't show much except to clean the chamber really good. So I did that and repeated the check. This time I put two new commercial rounds in the clip go cycle those first, and with no trouble. On the first reload, I am once again left with a round stuck in the chamber.

While the good news is it's not my rifle that's causing the trouble, the bad news is it's the reloads and I don't know what the problem would be that is causing this. Would this be an issue to shoot or would the pressure be enough to safely cycle the M1 or am I risking excessive pressure or force on the bolt if I attempt to shoot it in this condition?

I used a classic lee loader which resizes the neck, and the casing is suppose to already be formed to my M1's chamber as these casings were previous commercial loads shot through it. The load data is a Nosler HPBT 155gr with 46-47gr IMR4895. OAL is 3.34 but I've kept them between 3.31 and 3.32.

Anyone? Help?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I feel like I'm stating the obvious, but have you taken a pair of calipers and checked the good rounds vs the stuck rounds?

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    With their potential for slam fires I full length size all used brass for M1's. They are tough on brass. Did you check brass length? It stretches a good bit in these rifles. With the ring where you see it, it may be long. On my bolt guns I only neck size until bolt is difficult to close, but with the aggressive ejection from an M1 I don't. Shoulders move and it grows.

Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Calipers were applied prior to and after resizing the case neck, and again for overall length after being finished. Cases were in and around 2.48 and none exceeded 2.49

Fat Andy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Ran through with the calipers again, and it looks like some of the cases exceed 2.49

I also resized and seated a dummy cartridge which the casing was 2.48 and OAL was 3.31 and it chambered and extracted without issue.

So I think I may have found my problem and that dark ring on the neck may confirm this. Unless anyone else has other theories?

Appreciate the quick responses!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Reloading, like many things, revolves around three things

Production-Triangle.jpg

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    My advice is get a case gauge for .30-06 and see how it agrees with your chamber.
    Then next up is to trim every time. If you get your case trimming down it is just as easy to trim as to check length.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    For semi autos I always full length size.

Neck size for bolt actions.

Same here full length for the semi auto. Never had to use a small base die on anything.

I neck size for some bolt actions. If I don't have a neck size die I just adjust the FL die to length. The Lee Collet dies do a nice job from my experience.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    You can get away with neck sized cases in a bolt action , the semi-auto M-1 will probably appreciate having the cases run through the full length sizing die. Try that first.
    Gary

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Yup.

Time to invest in a case trimmer!

I thought reloading was suppose to be cheaper! Lol

That's the standard lie we tell our wives when we order more reloading "stuff" ...".but honey , look at all the money I'm saving reloading my own !"
    It isn't cheaper...you just shoot a lot more and have a neat hobby !
    Gary

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    You can get away with neck sized cases in a bolt action , the semi-auto M-1 will probably appreciate having the cases run through the full length sizing die. Try that first.
    Gary
    +1
    Another thing to note, as I understand it M-1s need a certain envelope (bullet weight/powder burn rate) to operate properly and to prevent damaging things.

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    +1
    Another thing to note, as I understand it M-1s need a certain envelope (bullet weight/powder burn rate) to operate properly and to prevent damaging things.
    Garand reloading is very forgiving... if you stay within the limits of what they want. Rules of thumb: no powder faster than IMR3031, nothing slower than Reloader15/Varget/IMR4064, bullet weights <178 grains, OAL <=3.34 inches, full length size, cases trimmed. Get a case gauge, be careful with your work, and you'll be fine.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Garand reloading is very forgiving... if you stay within the limits of what they want. Rules of thumb: no powder faster than IMR3031, nothing slower than Reloader15/Varget/IMR4064, bullet weights <178 grains, OAL <=3.34 inches, full length size, cases trimmed. Get a case gauge, be careful with your work, and you'll be fine.

One good thing about Garands and AR's is there are many proven service rifle loads out there on the net. Of course cross check them and work up to them, but at least you are very much into the ball park of where you need to be.

7.62mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Military or commercial brass? Garands and M1As are very hard on brass and my experience has been that commercial brass is softer than military brass.
    Result is that it stretches more than military and doesn't last as long.
    You will get start getting case head seperations at 5 -7 reloads with military brass. Less with commercial.
    Full length resize and trim to length each time also.

Top Bottom