M1A scope mount recommendations

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooterbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    St James
    I just bought an M1A and would like the option of mounting a scope. Because I don't see myself shooting with a scope that much I'm trying to avoid getting a mount that gets pinned to the stripper clip guide mount. Any suggestions on a QD scope mount and do "repeat zero" mounts really repeat zero? I m not looking to shoot silver dollars at 1000yds but would like to be confident taking a 400-500yd shot at a deer.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Pretty much top of the line. Not many options that don’t use stripper clips ,unless scout mount

Springfield has there own mount also

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore

I’m using this pica tinny low mount . If you’re not going for precision repeatability, I don’t have to rezero when I put it back on ( I take it off when I’m cleaning it real good ) and get an extra wrench . Don’t use the cleaning tool when you tighten it it will be off zero just the wrench that comes with it every time you put it on . It uses the weight of rifle to get torqued down and it won’t move .

Grosbec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2022
    White Castle
    I just bought an M1A and would like the option of mounting a scope. Because I don't see myself shooting with a scope that much I'm trying to avoid getting a mount that gets pinned to the stripper clip guide mount. Any suggestions on a QD scope mount and do "repeat zero" mounts really repeat zero? I m not looking to shoot silver dollars at 1000yds but would like to be confident taking a 400-500yd shot at a deer.
    Get a Basset. The Springfield mounts are trash. The Basset uses one bolt that’s has a keeper on it and comes with a little wrench specifically made for the it that allows you to get the right tourney by using the weight of the gun. It’s genius.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Congrats on the m1a. Ive had several over the years and I just love them..If this is your 1st m1a, I would suggest picking up a copy of Scott Duff's m14 Owners guide and match conditioning instructions, my opinion only, you will have a better appreciation for what you have after you go through the book and over time make the changes..

the above are really good mounts, Ill add these below as they are excellent....they are close copies of the Brookfield Precision Tool mount (havent been made for a long time and a real one will be $$$$)..

or

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Get a Bassett. I had a Springfield, wouldn't buy one again.
    IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_2995.JPG

Last edited:

Shooterbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    St James
    Congrats on the m1a. Ive had several over the years and I just love them..If this is your 1st m1a, I would suggest picking up a copy of Scott Duff's m14 Owners guide and match conditioning instructions, my opinion only, you will have a better appreciation for what you have after you go through the book and over time make the changes..

the above are really good mounts, Ill add these below as they are excellent....they are close copies of the Brookfield Precision Tool mount (havent been made for a long time and a real one will be $$$$)..

or
    Thanks for the info. I think for now I'm going to stay with iron sights. Im pretty happy about adding a "real" M1A to my collection. Many years ago I acquired a Norinco or Polytech M1A can't remember which. As many people remember the internal parts were not hardened causing some of them to go full auto. Mine decided to go full auto at the Honey Island Swamp shooting range on of all days Law Enforcement appreciation weekend. Luckily one deputy was an FFL holder and familiar with the problem. There were a couple companies at the time that could correct the problems but I decided to just get rid of it. Shortly after that I got my hands on a semi auto Divine, Texas M14. Unfortunately I discovered the receiver was a reweld so it was banished as well.

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    I own few different type M14 mounts. The Sadlak is about the best one out there if your receiver is in spec. Mike (Sadlak) will send you out a measuring kit and mod the mount for you. It's not for the faint at heart, and it helps if you know your way around gun plumbing, and have some precision measuring tools.

The Swan #18 mount is going be the lowest mount, they don't make the one with the cut out anymore. There can be some dimensional issues with the Swan mount and you might have to tune your ejector and/or a little grinding to get the cases to clear without problems.

Casm mount (see below) a chimp can install and there are ways to make adjustments. My main issue with the Casm Mount is there is no easy way to knock off the scope and go back to Irons in a hurry. But it is a stable mount I have one mounted on my M14 that I chambered in 338 Federal. The picture below I just grabbed online because it showed the mount clearly. You can usually use LOW rings as the Obj and Ocular bells will on most optics hang off the mount.

I you're going to scope a M14 buy a good cheek rest , if not you'll have a Chin Weld.

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html

steel_CASM_S@B.JPG

Submariner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2024
    Boston, MA
    I use the Basset mount and it is great. Although some years ago they had a Quality control issue and some mounts were off. It goes on and off easily and is accurate enough without re-zero

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom