Mossburg 590 mini shell conversion?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I know that there is a rubber adapter that allows a regular 590/500 to function with mini shells, but it must be removed to shoot regular shells. The new 590S shoots them all interchangeably so my question is: are parts available from Mossberg (or aftermarket) that would convert a 590 to a 590S?

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I have a question to your question.

is it worth it to use the mini shells? I see them about $1 a round, if you can find them.

it looks like the pattern isn’t very tight. Wouldn’t it be better to use a low recoil, or even bird shot?

just got a mossberg and have been looking at these for low recoil and capacity, just not sure it’s the best way to go.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    Now that is one big can of worms. Situation dictates doctrine. Personally, I would use them if they feed reliably in a home defence scenario where superior firepower in close quarters through fire suppression and as many shots on target are paramount. Other than that I wouldn't use them for the taking of game or anything along those lines. I'd take a 12GA with 12 rounds of buckshot over 4 to 5 any day in a close quarters scenario.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I know that there is a rubber adapter that allows a regular 590/500 to function with mini shells, but it must be removed to shoot regular shells. The new 590S shoots them all interchangeably so my question is: are parts available from Mossberg (or aftermarket) that would convert a 590 to a 590S?

That’s what your looking for if that’s what you want to do.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I have a good bit of 12 ga stocked up including the mini's so would like to have my 590 handle both without having to take an adapter in and out. So far the KSG seems to like either.
    I'll contact Mossburg Monday and see what they say.
    If not, the OPSol will have to do.
    Thanks, guys.
    Ed

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Mossberg mentions some of the parts that were changed. The receiver may have been modified to accommodate those revised parts. Its tough to say without seeing the original parts vs revised.

I asked my buddy Ryan from TFBtv if he had any intel on this. They went to Mossberg and test fired these before they hit the market.Ill report back if he has any input. Heres the vid of TFBtv checking them out:

Watch "The NEW Mossberg 590S Eats Anything" on YouTube

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    I have a Mossberg 12ga shockwave for Home defense-I think the mini's are Ok for playing around but would never think of using them in case of a emergency because I want hits to count-if five round of 12ga 00 buck can't solve the problem than nothing will

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    The mini shells come in bird, buck and slug, maybe not quite the variety of the standard 12 Ga but still usable!

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Contacted MB customer service. Here's reply:
    "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are not offering conversion parts to change over to a 590S. If you would like to shoot mini shells in your current model you will need to use a OPSOL mini clip."
    Oh, well.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Contacted MB customer service. Here's reply:
    "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are not offering conversion parts to change over to a 590S. If you would like to shoot mini shells in your current model you will need to use a OPSOL mini clip."
    Oh, well.
    Swapping the mini clip in and out isn’t hard. Seems like an easy alternative without having to buy a new gun. Then again that’s a good reason to buy a new gun and any reason for a new gun is good lol.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Mini shells require a solid lifter. The Mossberg's have traditionally used a skeletonized lifter.

If you can find parts for the new 590s, look for a replacement shell lifter.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have a significant supply of short shells in Both Aguila and Federal, slugs and Buck and a few boxes of 7.5. Just under 1300 rounds. I got it cheap. It’s all range fodder as far as I’m concerned. I have a few OpSol plugs in the package and I’ve used them in a few Mossberg 500 and 590 guns, as well as a maverick. It’s fun and they’ve been extremely reliable. I also have one of the stevens 320’s that feed and shoot the short shells just fine. That being said, I don’t rely on them for home defense. Full power 4 Buck, 00 and 000 depending on inside or outdoors the old pump gun in my shop stays full of 000. I don’t care if it’s olind military Buck or Flight control. I’m not shooting steel targets with it. I don’t care for low recoil for self defense because it’s not full power. If I was worried about recoil I’d go to a 20ga with full power Buck. Low recoil (or managed recoil) translates to low velocity. When you decrease the speed of the load by 500-800fps it’s less effective on the target. To me it’s the equivalent of loading your .357 mag revolver with .38 rounds before you set it on the nightstand at bedtime. If you can’t handle the recoil and stay on target, go practice til you can.

Top Bottom