My Deer hunting lease has banned hog hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    As the title States my deer hunting club president has decided that baiting in hogs to shoot or trapping hogs on the property is doing more damage than good.. Last year from the end of deer season until this year's deer season, I killed or shot 27 pigs. I set up a feeder on the edge of the property and a Cellular game camera. I also bought a thermal for my AR15. When my phone would go off that there were pigs at the feeder even on week nights, I would make the hour drive to our lease and shoot as many as I could. Another member of my hunting lease claims to have shot close to 30 this year as well with his thermal. I have come to the conclusion that after shooting at the sounder of pigs, it would often take 7 to 10 days before they would show back up. I don't feel that this is a 100% viable option of keeping the sounders in check. I do believe that some wild boars need to be shot this way but it isn't really putting dent the pig populations. On a property that has thick cover it is better suited with trapping. You cannot expect to put a trap on the edge of the property and still catch all the pigs that are on a very large lease which is the current requirement to trap pigs on this property. I would believe you have to go where the pigs are in order to trap them. Does anyone have any insight or has ever heard of a hunting lease banning pig hunting all together? Now while hunting other game if you see a pig, you are allowed to shoot it on the property, but specifically hunting pigs is prohibited.

Last edited:

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    This night yielded 3 pigs. Shooting a standard stainless PSA 5.56 and FLIR PTS233 thermal with 77 grain razor core ammunition and a drop in 3.5 lb trigger produced the best results.

Attachments

• 20210312_195746.jpg
      20210312_195746.jpg
      890.7 KB · Views: 218
    Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    It has been my experience in life that most Hunting Clubs are run by irrational people who's opinions matter more than anything else. The club I am currently in only allows deer hunting. Even thou we have rabbits, squirrel, hogs, turkey, woodcock and ducks. You are only allowed to hunt deer. So I sit in my stand not seeing any deer while the lake next too me has thousand of ducks that I can not shoot.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Skru a club. Do your own thing. Hunting has gone from a means of putting food on the table to purely a politicized, government regulated SPORT. To much B/S involved with it nowadays. Why I personally don't hunt.
    Yep. I have two sons. If they do not get into it I am hanging it up. Hunting and Fishing. Too much BS. So many rules. A license for this, you need to have that. Gotta have a 200 point check list to take out a boat or some JackAce is writing you a ticket because your fire extinguisher is expired. People these must love being regulated because they sure put up with it. Hunting and Fishing has turned into a Rich mans sport just like in Europe over hear.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Why pay all of that money and then have to put up with all of that nonsense ? All my life I've heard people complain about crazy rules and requirements . Screw that .

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I get that you feel it isn't enough to make a big difference, but how will not doing it make it any better? Are they are problem where you are or not?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Since hogs directly compete with deer for mast and low vegetation, you can have a lot of deer or a lot of hogs but not both. (Of course you might have a low deer population due to other reasons). Killing 60 pigs a year means you have a hog problem and need to get rid of more of them any way you can. Have your president talk to a deer biologist.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    At my son's camp , they have some guy that is contracted with the State . or possibly the Feds , that comes in and kills hogs . My son said the guy is rigged out with all kinds of night vision scopes and such .

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don’t know how your club works, but unless the one person in charge owns the property or is the sole person on the lease of the property, it may be time to challenge his decision. I’m sure he is comfortable being the sole voice to rule things but if you are able to gather the support of the majority of other members and have a sane conversation while preventing the facts about the future of actual deer hunting on said lease, you may change his mind. If He wants to be in complete charge, the entire group should let him be in complete charge… in complete charge of any upkeep or improvements and eradicating the pigs. Because you can kiss the deer goodbye if the pigs are allowed to stay. Id first rally the other members and call for a meeting. If I felt strongly enough that the quality of hunting is not worth the cost under the present rule, I’d give the ultimatum and explain why. Less members means more cost per member, so when people start threatening to jump ship, others may tend to see things your way. Regardless of the own or lease situation, the president is not going to want to see money walk away. I’d start by asking him what is worse, no deer and no members, or shooting the pigs.

bullman63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    HOUTEX
    Your hunting club president doesn't understand that by not shooting the hogs you are more likely to end up with considerably more hogs. We didn't have hogs in LA when I was growing up but TX did. Now TX has entirely too many hogs and we've created laws that remove about any barrier to killing them as is possible. So killing hogs doesn't make them magically disappear; what does he honestly think will happen when purposefully not shooting them will do. And yes, if you're deer hunting and deer are out in front of you and hogs show up, your deer will almost assuredly run off - so then you really don't have a deer lease any more, either...

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Hunting club politics and other things drove me to fish more and more over the years and hunt less.

Now I love hunting season more than ever because its less people on the water when I’m fishing.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    As the title States my deer hunting club president has decided that baiting in hogs to shoot or trapping hogs on the property is doing more damage than good..

Is it hunting hogs or baiting hogs that he's stopping? Stopping baiting them is a different discussion than stopping hunting them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom