New reel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We're planning a trip to Hopedale sometime soon at my wife's (!) request. One of co-workers went down a few weeks ago and did very well bank fishing.
    Anyway, I pulled out my rods and reels for the first time since Katrina and spend some time cleaing and triage'ing them. The rods are all fine. The reels were mixed. Believe it or not, I had 2 Zebco 202's that someone gave me that work fine. My good spinnng reel was toast though.
    Without spending a ton (since I don't get to fish much anymore), anybody have any suggestions on a replacement?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Penn combos

I usually do not buy combos, but was in Florida last year and needed a rod for my wife. I purchased a $50 Penn spinning combo at Walmart. I have caught all kinds of fish on this combo (including big red fish) w/o having any issues with it. I liked it so much, after I bought my new boat, I went back and got three more.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Shimano. The Sedona is good, around $50. Get it at Puglia's or Academy. Had mine for 10-15 years.

shimano does make good reels, and probably the best baitcasters with the curado, calcutta and cronarch, but the old school, all metal, non graphite penn 420SS & 430SS spinning reels are the shiznit. My dad still has some that are the green and white ones from 30+ years ago, and still work better than some of the new ones on the market.

a wise man once told me that a cheap rod and reel will catch just as big of a fish as an expensive one, just not nearly as many.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Or Stradic. Really anything above sedona and you'll have it forever. Those are spinning. For baitcast, still shimano- the gold ones, forgot the name. Pricey,but they last. Also can't go wrong with penn. Don't know about diawa.
    the gold ones are the calcutta series. they also make a silver calcutta, but for strictly freshwater fishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom