New to shotguns I have a question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gulfdiver

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    I have an 870 wingmaster I believe it holds 4 2 3/4 12 gauge shells, Do they make extensions?
    What if the shell tube extends out past the end of the muzzle an inch or two?
    Is that good or bad?
    The barrel what cut down to 18.5 inches?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I like the wilson/scattergun Technologies extensions. Extensions are easy to add but some 870's have two nubs inside the mag tube at the front end. Unscrew your endcap and check. If so they have to be ground off. Not hard to do with a dremel.

You could cut your barrel, but I'd advise against it. You'd still have to have the bead remounted. Spend a few bucks and buy a shorter one. I picked up a 19" (with night sights!) used at FITS in Slidell for under $40.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You can EASILY find an 18.5" barrel for ~100, much less if you shop.

Take off your magazine cap and feel inside, if you have 2 dimples they ahve to be removed/ground down/etc, to get the extension tube to work. there is a thread on arfcom with instructions on how to remove them but it's a royal pita, imo, and i just bought a second one instead of modifying the one i had :o

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have an 870 wingmaster I believe it holds 4 2 3/4 12 gauge shells, Do they make extensions?
    What if the shell tube extends out past the end of the muzzle an inch or two?
    Is that good or bad?
    The barrel what cut down to 18.5 inches?

what type of magazine spring retainer do you have? There are 2 different ones, A plastic one that extends out of the magazine tube about 1/4" and you have to push in and turn 90*
    315317.jpg
    [/IMG],
    and the other style is a metal retainer that is a spring fit, and is flush.
    142767.jpg
    The latter one shouldnt have the "nubs" and will accept a mag extension as is. If you have the plastic one, and dremel/file/grind off the nubs, you can always get a metal retainer that will work if you take the extension off in the future, although the cap *could* loosen since the grooves/teeth on the plastic one engage on the magazine cap to hold it in place like a detent.

gulfdiver

Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    The barrel is 18.5 inches; I have the metal push in one that sits flush with the top of the threads.
    I have a little over 6 inches from the top of the threads to the end of the muzzle to play with. Where can I find an extension tube at or under 6 inches that would work with 2 3/4 12 gauge shells

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom