opinion on identity protection ins.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Isn't lifelock the one with the commercial with the guy who parades around town with his SSN on the side of a truck. I heard he got his identity stolen, but can't confirm it.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Isn't lifelock the one with the commercial with the guy who parades around town with his SSN on the side of a truck. I heard he got his identity stolen, but can't confirm it.

At least 5 times and has been sued multiple times because his services didnt work

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Some of the better homeowners policies automatically include $1000 of fraud protection in the policy.
    I went through a credit card fraud problem some years ago. Turned out the cashier at a shoney's duplicated my debit card. Her boyfriend spend $1500 at Walmart w/ it. We got it back. They got arrested (secret service did a great job!). It was a hassle for 2 weeks but it was handled... didn't cost me a dime.

James Cannon

May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    It's just one more scam that people are trying to capitalize on with people's fears rising. There is a large number of people who are scared of the internet and increasing technology, and so there are entrepreneurs out there willing to rape some cash from them while supplying nothing of any real value or purpose. They're selling "peace of mind" which is the greatest fallacy ever.

James Cannon

May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Some of the better homeowners policies automatically include $1000 of fraud protection in the policy.
    I went through a credit card fraud problem some years ago. Turned out the cashier at a shoney's duplicated my debit card. Her boyfriend spend $1500 at Walmart w/ it. We got it back. They got arrested (secret service did a great job!). It was a hassle for 2 weeks but it was handled... didn't cost me a dime.

And that right there is the -reality- of fraud. No one will be able to do more than the credit card company is willing to do to pursue defrauders.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Yeah, I got Lifelock. Had it for about 2 years, about the only thing it did for me was to stop alot of the pre approved credit card offers, and they filed for my credit reports for the first year then they wrote me a letter and said that they couldn't do this anymore. then this month they sent me a check for 10$ ( my settlement ammount?? Don't know why). I will not renew my subscription.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The service that I recommended is not an insurance product. It is a service that corrects the problem should your identity get stolen. It is a valuable service, especially if you are away from home.

TomTerrific

Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have been surprised with what my home owner/car insurances cover. I would suggest, before signing up with this service, asking your insurance agent what sort of protection you have thru his/her policies.

Additionally, you used to have some limited liability on the credit cards whether you reported them missing/abused or not. That may have changed, but I think real cards, as opposed to debit cards, offer very limited liability for their misuse.

I found out some time back that I could get roadside assistance from my insurer, USAA, for a ridiculously low fee, less than $5/6mo. This service calls around until they find someone that can come right then. I haven't changed a tire in 15y.

Before you sign up for what to you might be a minimal charge, get a trusted professional to evaluate what you need and offer suggestions.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Well this thread got me thinking, Sooo I called Lifelock to cancel it, And the guy tells me that since I had been a member since 2008 they would knock off 30% if I stayed (mind you that I was paying 225$ a year for my wife, daughter, and myself) and that would knock the price down to 170$ a year, I said nah still too high(nicely) then he said that he could go see if he could bump it down 40%, I said ok check it out. He puts me on hold and comes back saying it was ok. The price is now 145$ per year from now on. So if you have lifelock just call them and say the same(could save some money).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom