Opinions on whick AK variant to buy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    Hey, I get a bonus check from my job every year and it's usually in the tens of thousands of dollars. Every year I treat myself to a gun or two, sometimes several.... This year will be no exception! I have decided that I will start drinking the AK Koolaid again and buy me a real nice one. (I've owned dozens of AK's)

I've been looking at the rifles on Atlanticfirearms.com and have kinda narrowed it down to a few. I like the milled receiver rifles and would like an underfolder. There is a real nice one on that website in the $1050 range that is made by Vector Arms I believe.

But while I was looking at that one I noticed a really nice Polish underfolder that is made by the same company. It's considerably cheaper and is not milled. I guess I could always change the furniture on the milled to make it look like the Polish... or not... I used to love the Maddi that I had, but can't seem to locate any for sale on the WEB, I've owned a few Yugo's and they were pretty awesome, but seem to be in short supply...

Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for all and any input. The last time I owned an AK was back in '97 and it was a milled MAK90. What are the BETTER brands of AK now-a-days? Are there any other reputable websites that I can brows until I get my check? Money really is no option, so any info will be excepted! Thanks....

- Clint

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    I personally own an Arsenal milled receiver from Bulgaria. It is extremely accurate for an AK, heavy, and well built. It's the one I'll never sell. If you're looking to blow a wad of cash on an excellent AK, get one of the SLR series Ak's from Arsenal.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Yes they are expensive. I've looked at Will's work. It's definitely NOT a Century kit build. It's a finely crafted piece of work. The function and the finish are superb. They may as well not be the same type of rifle as the WASRs. I've fired Will's rifles, and they are art.

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    I'm still not paying $549 for a Romanian parts kit put onto an American stamped receiver. I wouldn't advise anyone else to either. I realize it isn't century made, but there are much better options out there for the same money.

Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    I'm still not paying $549 for a Romanian parts kit put onto an American stamped receiver. I wouldn't advise anyone else to either. I realize it isn't century made, but there are much better options out there for the same money.

Yeah, I got 2 Romamians in a trade a few years ago, and got rid of them before I made it home that day! All I can say is they were crap... If they were $200 then I could see why people would buy them, but they are about $400 here, too much IMHO!

- Clint

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I would buy a Romanian from Will any day. First time I went to his range, he helped me tune my AK a little bit (don't know what he did, but he made it shoot smoother), and let me and some friends shoot his full auto builds. I would trust any AK he built no matter what origin it is.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm sure Redstick isn't WASR quality, but if your looking at $1,000 Ak's check out a Fuller build...

I'd look into a Fuller build with one of these:
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16851&cat=251&page=3

I've shot some, they are SWEEET!

Shooting it it's a fixed stock, but it folds... (DROOL)

Or, I have a Maddi, it's loaned out right now, but if you are really interested...
    (But I'd get the folder)

coltaholic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Tampa Bay, florida
    ak buying

I've owned dozens of AK's and their Varients---my best, and the only one I will never sell is my Bulgarian SLR-95. I'm an avid hog hunter, and i take all sorts of new hunters hog hunting(kids, boys, girls, wives, new hunters,) and the SLR has killed more hogs than all the rest of my guns combined. You can buy one in good shape for 600-700 on the ar-15 forum. my other favorite is the m-70 Yugo underfolder----they run about 550 on the same forum.
    happy shopping

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Yes they are expensive. I've looked at Will's work. It's definitely NOT a Century kit build. It's a finely crafted piece of work. The function and the finish are superb. They may as well not be the same type of rifle as the WASRs. I've fired Will's rifles, and they are art.

and a 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

Alaskacajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    Anchorage Alaska
    Here's the link to the Website that I've been checking out....

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

25zglk2.jpg

Here's the Polish.... I love the wood on this! I know this is cosmetic, but damn it looks good!

2lcxqtd.jpg

Here's the Milled, the wood looks great, but for some reason it doesn't scream AK to me.... it's a few hundred Peso's more than the Polish but doesn't look as pretty in my opinion!

296m3jn.jpg

But this..... this is what I truely want! A double underfolder..... if any of yall have one of these collecting dust in the back of the gun safe, let me know!

- Clint

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    The Romanians have a very bad reputation when built by Century, but the Yugos they sell are built by a subcontractor and seem to be real quality. I can't speak to the RPK look-alikes.

Top Bottom