Parts Kit Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lt_jango

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    FRENCH SETTLMENT
    i just ordered a mp5 parts kit and the flat to build my own mp5 what do i haft to excatuly do as far as regestering it goes? trying to find out if i bit off more than i can chew on this one ?

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    As a SBR or just as a gun? If you are just making a pistol or rifle nothing. But I would put a number or something on it. Some people use a address or birth date. Not required by law but a good idea. ETA it needs to be semiauto :D

Last edited:

lt_jango

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    FRENCH SETTLMENT
    the kit comes with a 9 inch barral and a 8 inch fake can that ties on to it how would that work and whats the diffrence between a sbr or gun? its gona be a simi auto

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    the kit comes with a 9 inch barral and a 8 inch fake can that ties on to it how would that work and whats the diffrence between a sbr or gun? its gona be a simi auto

If you are building a pistol just use the 9 inch barrel. If it is a rifle you will need to weld the fake can on or blind pin it. That's drilling and putting a pin in it and then weld over the pin. An SBR would be a NFA item "class 3" that would be a 9 inch barrel and a stock. You would have to do a form 1 before the build and pay a 200.00 tax stamp. you will need a CLEO sign off or a Corp. Or tust. You can google ATF form 1 for more info or look in the class 3 forum here if you want to build it that way.

And you don't have to put a serial # on the flat but it is a good idea. Just in case it is stolen or you get a traffic stop by a cop that thinks you filed the number off :p

Last edited:

lt_jango

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    FRENCH SETTLMENT
    well then i will just lock tight the barral on to the threaded end and when ever i want to have it as a sbr regestered just heat and melt the lock tight and take the fake can off will that work?

lt_jango

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    FRENCH SETTLMENT
    ok that dosent answer my Question from what i am understanding as long as the can is fully secure to the gun its a legal rifle correct? and if thats true why cant i do it with lock tight if i plan to have it removed later on down the line?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    ok that dosent answer my Question from what i am understanding as long as the can is fully secure to the gun its a legal rifle correct? and if thats true why cant i do it with lock tight if i plan to have it removed later on down the line?

Obviously you aren't understanding anything. According to the BATFE, you must weld or blind pin the barrel extension on. There's nothing else to think about. For ****'s sake it's pretty straightforward. If you don't like it contact the BATFE, maybe you'll change their mind.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    ok that dosent answer my Question from what i am understanding as long as the can is 'permanently secure to the gun its a legal rifle correct? and if thats true why cant i do it with lock tight if i plan to have it removed later on down the line?
    1100 deg silver solder.
    4 equidistant tack welds
    a continous weld of half the circumferance.
    blind pin with the end of the pin welded over.
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8.pdf

page 5 (PDF page 17)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom