Pushed to the limits, but finished my hike through the Smokey Mountains

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife and I headed out last week to finish the section of the Appalachian Trail through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. It was this section of the trail that got me interested in the AT many years ago and I was happy that she and I were able to finish it. We had physically prepared for the hike with workouts and hiking near St Francisville and also carrying our packs each morning with 30 lbs of weight which is heavier than we carry on the trail. Our base weight usually is about 15-17 lbs and then with food and water we get to about 23-25 lbs on the trail. What we can never plan for is the weather. The date you plan to go is the date you gotta go, so there is no working around the weather. When the shuttle driver dropped us off at Clingmons Dome the wind was whipping and the rain was pretty steady but did eventually quit a little into the hike and remained pretty good. The next two days were pretty rough as a cold front moved in and the temps fell. We were camping at approximately 6000 feet for two of the 4 days we were on the trail. One night was near freezing and the other was in the mid 20’s. It actually snowed on us and the trees were iced over for some of the hike. We had the right gear but it was still too cold for this warm weather hiker for sure. We did not sleep well any of the nights on the trail and one night I slept on my side and did something to a nerve in my arm with caused loss of feeling in my thumb, index finger and middle finger. It has gotten better but the tingling is still there. Hopefully over the next few days it gets better. Besides the weather the trail was as beautiful as ever and we got to spend some time in Hot Springs North Carolina before and after the hike. We were lucky enough to soak in some of the natural hot springs at a local resort which was awesome for a body that had been put through the wringer for 4 days. We did end up traveling to a few other cities after the hike but I’ll post about that another time.
    86edae8a749511ebc5d09321e8997f96.jpg

6afedbe1069e356cda8f60c6d3bdb964.jpg

41bbc0aef5e58897d363cae9bd0ec8cb.jpg

a154251f5c38d1753afce6428cd9afc9.jpg

34c78d654b95bde19e6d12ce5a028702.jpg

fff577726ba40de5833bea0a45f90cf9.jpg

c686ca388689a1f55f7a611bece963f4.jpg

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Nice story of your adventure. My wife and I hike near here. Never anything like this for us but makes me interested as we use to tent camp when we were in our 20s. In our mid 40's now.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you are in your 40’s you could easily do it with some training. I’m 60 and the hiking goes pretty good, it’s the sleeping or lack of sleeping that gets me. Then add the cold weather and holy moly it’s a bad combination. You can cherry pick your times though, so plan it for next year and go for it !!!

Richard Michael

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Walker, La.
    Looks like a good time! I can thank the U.S. Army for breaking me of the desire to go on "fun" hikes and camping!!! Park Rangers tend to frown on defensive perimeters and such!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    LOVE it! I haven't been on trail since Glacier NP last fall and am itching to go on a hike that I've got planned for June!

Like always, love your pics and am glad y'all had a good time!

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    The Smokies are a beautiful place to hike. I’ve done the hike up to LaConte several times during the winter. People think “oh it’s only Tennessee” but those mountains can get dangerous at a moment’s notice.
    I’m headed to the Grand Tetons in July to hike the Crest Trail, can’t wait!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Awesome views Bee man! People can’t possibly know about what it takes out of you until they hike up a mountain themselves. Air hungry ear popping experience. I tagged along with a bunch of boy scouts a couple years back. Went to a peak and they cooked me lunch before we rolled back down the mountain. Took over 8 hours, but it wasn’t exactly a frequented trail. They seemed completely unaffected by it physically, but the thin air made them a bit squirrelly…

Attachments

• IMG_3980.png
      IMG_3980.png
      1.9 MB · Views: 23
    • IMG_3982.png
      IMG_3982.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 23
    • IMG_3981.png
      IMG_3981.png
      4 MB · Views: 23

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife and I have been on both the Tennessee side and the North Carolina side. We stayed recently in cabins (for a family wedding) that were right on one of the I think major trails (south of Asheville, NC). We walked it north and south for a couple of hours. Yeah, that much. You are THE MAN if you spend 4 days on that kind of trail. I think I could. If we did, we would no longer be married.

Richard Michael

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Walker, La.
    My cousin just return from base camp on mount Everest. took 13 days to make the round trip. She said that lack of oxygen was her biggest hurdle, therefore a couple days to recover.

Attachments

• Neila ME 05 Ind. Jones.jpg
      Neila ME 05 Ind. Jones.jpg
      463.5 KB · Views: 17

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Didn’t know there were so many mountain men on the forum. Love to hear the stories of conquest, ha ha. You can pack any firearm you want as long as you are willing to carry the extra weight.

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Congrats on your conquest!
    I'm not a hiker much anymore but our Colorado cabin is at 9400'. Just living that high is a conquest, daily.

Top Bottom