Range bag question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm taking a 2 day pistol class soon. What, other than the obvious stuff suggested by the class, do you pack in your range bag? what tools, etc... ?

Also, the class suggested knee pads. I'm planning on wearing jeans. Knee pad suggestions?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm taking a 2 day pistol class soon. What, other than the obvious stuff suggested by the class, do you pack in your range bag? what tools, etc... ?

Also, the class suggested knee pads. I'm planning on wearing jeans. Knee pad suggestions?
    List in no particular order:
    - Extra mags (with your initials color paint pen'd on the bottom). I also number mine in case there is a problem with a specific mag.
    - Extra ammo (more than the class minimum)
    - Change of clothes
    - Change of shoes
    - Stapler and/or spray glue to attach targets
    - Batteries for optics (if applicable)
    - Sunscreen
    - Hand wipes
    - Full IFAC (this should be in everyone's range kit)+ booboo kit
    - eye / ear protection
    - lube and small cleaning kit
    - Separate bag with snacks + bottle water + electrolytes
    - binoculars
    - notepad + pen
    - shooting gloves

I've never brought knee pads, even when classes suggest them, so I won't be much help. 5.11 makes some tacticool knee pads for like $40 bucks. You could probably also just use anything that home depot carries for gardening.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Austin provided an excellent list. I'd add these things if they're handy/appropriate:

A backup gun and mags. Even if you've got tools handy for a repair, it'd be very disruptive to have to stop, field strip (or detail strip) your weapon, hope you have the part, etc., etc. I don't know what gatt you're planning to bring, but the best case scenario would be a gun that is holster-compatible and magazine compatible with your main rig, like a Glock 17 and a Glock 19.

A Leatherman, or some other such multi-tool. One never knows when they'll need a pair of pliers, a knife, a screwdriver, etc.

Electronic rangefinder. It's one of those tools that you don't need very often, but I usually throw mine in the "other junk I probably won't need" bag in the back of my truck. Once in a while I'm very thankful for it.

Concealment holster. Of course, this will depend entirely on the type of training you're doing ... but if the class has anything to do with conceal carrying, then you aren't going to want to train with a full shooting belt and a big drop-leg holster (or whatever your "classtune" is).

Batteries and an adjustment tool for optics. And while you're at it, you may also want to have the tool necessary to remove your optics from the slide if things really go up the creek.

Speedloader. I'm partial to the Maglula. Bring two if you can, because someone else will inevitably forget theirs and you'll be the hero of the day for lending your extra one.

Camera (your camera phone will probably work fine).

Toilet paper.

Some cash. If you're training out in the middle of nowhere, there's a chance that the local gas station / restaurant / watering hole / grocery won't take plastic.

And I'll echo what Austin said about food and water. I usually get myself a case of bottled water, a box of protein bars, and a few MREs. Drink water often: even if the temperature is cool, you can quickly dehydrate in the sun.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One other thought.

When I go to gun related events now, I have a little folding wagon that I throw in the back of my truck. I think this is the one I bought:

It folds up into a package about the size of a carry-on bag and can easily be stowed in just about any vehicle.

Lugging a range bag around gets tiresome—especially if you've got a thousand (or a few thousand) rounds of ammo and a bunch of bottled water. If the facility is such that I don't need the wagon, then you can leave it in your vehicle ... but if the parking is a hefty walk from the range, then you'll thank the heavens that you have wheels for all of your junk.

Mike

firelane

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Nine Mile Point LA
    One other thought.

When I go to gun related events now, I have a little folding wagon that I throw in the back of my truck. I think this is the one I bought:

It folds up into a package about the size of a carry-on bag and can easily be stowed in just about any vehicle.

Lugging a range bag around gets tiresome—especially if you've got a thousand (or a few thousand) rounds of ammo and a bunch of bottled water. If the facility is such that I don't need the wagon, then you can leave it in your vehicle ... but if the parking is a hefty walk from the range, then you'll thank the heavens that you have wheels for all of your junk.

Mike
    The wagon is a great idea.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Well... the wagon is an interesting idea... I did plan on an ice chest. Lots of drinks and snacks are a necessity.

Have to admit TP was not anywhere near my thinking.

2 day pistol class, no optics needed. I planned on bringing an 9mm for day 1, .45 for day 2. I have a full, yet archaic, belt rig for the .45. I figured I'd just go with a belt holster and a mag carrier for the 9mm. I'll do a full gear review after the class with pics. Y'all can flame me after for being cheap, I'm not building a new rig at this point. :)

still looking for particular knee pad suggestions...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well... the wagon is an interesting idea... I did plan on an ice chest. Lots of drinks and snacks are a necessity.

Have to admit TP was not anywhere near my thinking.

2 day pistol class, no optics needed. I planned on bringing an 9mm for day 1, .45 for day 2. I have a full, yet archaic, belt rig for the .45. I figured I'd just go with a belt holster and a mag carrier for the 9mm. I'll do a full gear review after the class with pics. Y'all can flame me after for being cheap, I'm not building a new rig at this point. :)

still looking for particular knee pad suggestions...
    I'd recommend to train like you carry. If you don't carry on a belt rig, don't use it. Every class I've taken has been with an appendix holster, because that's where the gun is on me.

Go by home depot and look in the gardening section. You don't need fancy knee pads. Tacticool is cool, but practicool is better.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    which is what I planned for the 9mm. Day one is 9mm, day 2 is .45.
    The .45 lives in the war belt along with rifle mags. It's part of my home defense plan.
    Which is why I planned on training a day with each.

I planned on going to home depot but was wondering if anyone had a favorite over the probably 20 pairs of knee pads they carry. I've used knee pads for karate in the past but not sure I'd want to wear those all day. And they're not water proof in case it rains. I also don't want something cutting into behind my knee...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    which is what I planned for the 9mm. Day one is 9mm, day 2 is .45.
    The .45 lives in the war belt along with rifle mags. It's part of my home defense plan.
    Which is why I planned on training a day with each.

I planned on going to home depot but was wondering if anyone had a favorite over the probably 20 pairs of knee pads they carry. I've used knee pads for karate in the past but not sure I'd want to wear those all day. And they're not water proof in case it rains. I also don't want something cutting into behind my knee...
    If it rains, you are going to get wet. You also probably won't need the knee pads all day. Maybe ask your instructor for recommendations?

I've never used them for classes.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    For knee pads that you will only use for this one class, I’d personally suggest going to HF and getting the “light duty foam knee pads $3.99” chunk them in the trash after (IMO they are good enough for kneeling on brass, small rocks or sticks).

MichaelPopulus

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2023
    Madisonville, LA
    I didnt read what everyone else wrote ( just the first one ) so I may just be restating stuff but ive taken 3 courses this year already and right now this is what ive got. I saw the first post talking about staplers, binos, etc. Its a class, not a range day, they should be changing targets and the class will walk down range together to go over stuff, so just bring the stuff you need for the class. All my classes were catered and had snacks as well, so while you are welcome to bring them, I just brought my 1 gallon water bottle. Again, check to see if your class provides the food. The rest of their list is all good stuff.

Things I normally wouldnt have but do currently

Mosquito spray - Gnats and mosquitoes are nuts right now
    Sun screen - Im a ginger and its been HOT.
    Towel for sweat
    Extra shirt
    Gum - After a couple hours my breath was getting crazy

I packed both over ears and in ear pro, after about 3-4 hours the over ears were KILLING my ears so I would swap over to in ears and give them a break. Then my inner ear would start to hurt so I would swap back. This may be a me problem, but its worth stating.

Normally I clean by gun prior to class but several people were having issues in my last class so I decided to just bring all my maintenance stuff just in case. Meaning all the tools and cleaning supplies I use.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    A lot of this will depend on the type of class you're taking, where and why. A lot will depend how far you're gonna be from your own vehicle.

Are we allowed to know what you're taking and where?

If it's indoors, you obviously don't need to worry about all the stuff like bug spray, sunscreen, etc, or even the wagon since you can probably just duck out to the car.

If it's outdoors, then you need to pack twice as much crap. Prepared for anything. Some ranges have air-conditioned johns, some have outhouses, some have a concrete room with no door and a terlet without a seat.

Also if it's outdoors, take a folding chair. Surprised nobody's said this yet, but remember you're gonna be on the range for 9 hours. (And if your ear pro hurts after 3 hours, consider throwing out the ear pro and getting something better quality.)

I've also never taken knee pads. Prob depends whether we're talking MCTA commando weekend where you're gonna be crawling around all weekend or MAG20 type thing where you shoot static from kneeling a couple times.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A lot of this will depend on the type of class you're taking, where and why. A lot will depend how far you're gonna be from your own vehicle.

Are we allowed to know what you're taking and where?

If it's indoors, you obviously don't need to worry about all the stuff like bug spray, sunscreen, etc, or even the wagon since you can probably just duck out to the car.

If it's outdoors, then you need to pack twice as much crap. Prepared for anything. Some ranges have air-conditioned johns, some have outhouses, some have a concrete room with no door and a terlet without a seat.

Also if it's outdoors, take a folding chair. Surprised nobody's said this yet, but remember you're gonna be on the range for 9 hours. (And if your ear pro hurts after 3 hours, consider throwing out the ear pro and getting something better quality.)

I've also never taken knee pads. Prob depends whether we're talking MCTA commando weekend where you're gonna be crawling around all weekend or MAG20 type thing where you shoot static from kneeling a couple times.
    Thanks Southerncanuck! (BTW, Canadian? I lived in Edmonton as a kid for a few years...).
    Outdoors. 2 day pistol. I'm betting more outhouse...
    Chair is a great idea. I usually have a camp chair in the truck, just because I forget (or I'm too lazy?) to take out between camping trips. :)
    I'm thinking more mag20 but my knees are already a mess. I'd rather not say which class and advertise what weekend I won't be home. (even though wife and dogs will be! )

Top Bottom