Recommendations for the Best Gunsmith for a new Colt m4 front sight base install.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bdidier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2018
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Guys, I have an older Colt Law Enforcement Carbine that is my favorite firearm. The front sight base that came on the firearm from the factory is just not one of the better made forged f-marked front sight bases. It has a bunch of imperfections. I have always wanted to put a new front sight base on that was more symetrical. (I know it doesnt affect shooting but drives me crazy to look at the sights and the sight is not perfect. I like to use open sights shooting this particular gun). Who would be the best Gunsmith to take it too in the Baton Rouge Area to install a new front base sight who specializes in the older ar15’s/M4’s? I know this is not the hardest gunsmithing job but I want it done right and with care…

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    My $0.02 , I would send it to a company like ADCO to replace the A2 sight post using the correct taper pins etc..
    I personally know several gunsmiths who could do the swap but I also know there are companies that specialize in things like this who are very knowledgeable and have proper jigs and fixtures for that swap

Bdidier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2018
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    My $0.02 , I would send it to a company like ADCO to replace the A2 sight post using the correct taper pins etc..
    I personally know several gunsmiths who could do the swap but I also know there are companies that specialize in things like this who are very knowledgeable and have proper jigs and fixtures for that swap
    Thanks. Had not thought of them!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Thanks. Had not thought of them!
    Might be a .625” FSB if it’s on an older colt. I put together a few SP’s from kits and they’re not the “standard” .75”, in case you’re looking for a replacement.
    It’s actually an easy job with a standard bench block and the right punches. Left to right out, right to left in.

Attachments

• IMG_3169.png
      IMG_3169.png
      341.3 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_3170.png
      IMG_3170.png
      460 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    MD, I believe he is wanting to swap an A2 FSP to an A2 F marked FSP.
    That usually takes a special jig/fixture to align for the re-drilling of the taper pins

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    MD, I believe he is wanting to swap an A2 FSP to an A2 F marked FSP.
    That usually takes a special jig/fixture to align for the re-drilling of the taper pins
    Oh I got you. I didn’t get that from the OP. It read like it was a F marked, but just not a good one. Not sure of the barrel size but I’m wondering if there’s even an F marked FSP that’ll fit. Everything I’ve seen in that forging was .75”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom