Recommended training distance for a micro pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I was just wondering what the consensus was on training distance for a micro carry pistol like the M&P Shield or the Kel-Tec P3AT. In the past I used 3 to 7 yards for my Kel-Tec because I didn't trust it with any degree of accuracy past 7 yards. In fact, I highly doubt I would use the Kel-Tec past 3 yards, UNLESS I absolutely had to. I figured I would stick to the same routine when training with my M&P Shield. I may modify the routine to shoot out to 15 yards since that is the minimum handgun distance at Sherburne.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    In my opinion, you need to be able to quickly make center of mass hits at 7 yards, at a minimum, with any gun that you want to carry. Practice should consist of a combination of working on speed, and working on accuracy. The closer the target, the faster you should be able to make hits.

Drawing and firing within 2 seconds with hits at 7 yards is a pretty good benchmark, and should be achievable even with the pocket guns.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Honestlou is honest.

MOST confrontations involving a handgun occur within 20 feet.

7 yards = 21 feet, close enough for our purposes.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I would say contact distance (0 feet) to 3 yards is about the best you can do with a Keltec. I have that gun and gave one to my dad to carry but I don't think I would pull the trigger on it unless I was at bad breath distance. My dad tried to shoot a rattlesnake with it at 3 yards and never hit it. The snake just rattled at him while he unloaded the mag at it. He's a good shooter and has been shooting for 65 years.

You might try some command drills at 7 yards or further (yelling stop or no or something like that) then transition to an extreme close quarters drill.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I dumped my P3AT because it shot WAY too high using the sights out at 5 yards. Not much you can do about it on those guns. I can clean the plate rack at 10 yards with my Kahr P380 because the sights are dead on. I agree with what others above have said. You never know how long of a shot you may have to make. The M&P should be pretty easy to hit with. Find out what the longest range you can make effective hits is, and then work on extending it trough practice. I really like long range pistol shooting, but I am just wierd that way.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have not handled a M&P Shield but I do not consider it a Micro Pistol. Other than width it is comparable in size to a G26 and I see people shoot them well at 25 yards.
    Start training at contact distance and increase the distance slowly until you can not hit COM shooting reasonably fast while moving. Continue to train and shoot while moving at reasonably close distances.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The shield is not a micro pocket rocket, I have engaged steel torso BCC size targets at 100yards with it.

Now a Keltec with their crappy sights and trigger 15 yards tops

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    The shield is a awesome size pistol and I would not want anything smaller. I carried a PA-63 FEG in 9x18 mak and the thought of ever having to use it to save my life or family bothered me too much. If I can't hit a man size target easy at 7 yards in a stress free senario then I don't want the gun on me. The PA-63 also cut the web of my hand sometimes.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    When we qualify with our back up weapons, regardless of size, we have to shoot the full post course, which includes several rounds fired from the 25 yard line. Not too fun with my LCP, but ive never not qualified with it.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    When we qualify with our back up weapons, regardless of size, we have to shoot the full post course, which includes several rounds fired from the 25 yard line. Not too fun with my LCP, but ive never not qualified with it.

And that's one of the things about the POST training/quals that I agree with, for sure.

You should not limit yourself to a maximum training distance, regardless of the pistol you carry. Although you're clearly at a disadvantage with a micro pistol (the Shield BTW is FAR from it; shoots more like a FS), that's something you've been (hopefully) forced to accept due to wardrobe restrictions, the need for deep concealment, etc. That does NOT mean you should accept those shortcomings as impossibilities-- in fact, you should train to negate as much of that disadvantage as humanly possible.

0-50 yards, like any pistol, is my answer-- though the bulk of your training should reflect more common defensive handgun distances, with the majority being 0-10 or 15, IMO.

One of the major fallacies of training/practice is that when left to our own devices, we only tend to work on what we're already pretty good at. Instead, we should be improving the areas in which we suck.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    And that's one of the things about the POST training/quals that I agree with, for sure.

You should not limit yourself to a maximum training distance, regardless of the pistol you carry. Although you're clearly at a disadvantage with a micro pistol (the Shield BTW is FAR from it; shoots more like a FS), that's something you've been (hopefully) forced to accept due to wardrobe restrictions, the need for deep concealment, etc. That does NOT mean you should accept those shortcomings as impossibilities-- in fact, you should train to negate as much of that disadvantage as humanly possible.

0-50 yards, like any pistol, is my answer-- though the bulk of your training should reflect more common defensive handgun distances, with the majority being 0-10 or 15, IMO.

One of the major fallacies of training/practice is that when left to our own devices, we only tend to work on what we're already pretty good at. Instead, we should be improving the areas in which we suck.

Excellent Post

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I was just wondering what the consensus was on training distance for a micro carry pistol like the M&P Shield or the Kel-Tec P3AT. In the past I used 3 to 7 yards for my Kel-Tec because I didn't trust it with any degree of accuracy past 7 yards. In fact, I highly doubt I would use the Kel-Tec past 3 yards, UNLESS I absolutely had to.

There are plenty of reasons, other than its inaccuracy at distances beyond 5 yards, that warrant getting rid of a Kel-Tec.

The Shield, on the other hand, is a decent weapon.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    There was a range master at LPSO that could hit a man sized target with a NAA .22 derringer at 25 yards consistently. He could t take a head shot but could still hit the target. The shield is an accurate weapon and will shoot a post course all day long. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot post with my cheap PF9 either. Bottom line is you don't pick the distance that you will engage a target if it comes to that.

Motor51

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    There was a range master at LPSO that could hit a man sized target with a NAA .22 derringer at 25 yards consistently. He could t take a head shot but could still hit the target. The shield is an accurate weapon and will shoot a post course all day long. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot post with my cheap PF9 either. Bottom line is you don't pick the distance that you will engage a target if it comes to that.
    Motor51

A friend who is a POST Firearms Instructor easily qualified on the POST course with a new Walther P22. His duty pistol is a G34 but he qualifies on the POST course with his G26 as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom