Regarding NFA items at AFFS...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I had posted this in current events a few weeks back, but I probably should have posted it here as I am still getting calls. All I can do at this point is give out Roger's email. I haven't heard a peep out of Roger since posting this although I did email him a copy of the thread.

Thanks,
    Kenny

As most of you are aware, a lot of people who were in the process of purchasing NFA items from 10-8/AFFS got tangled in their going out of business mess. I have an FFL/SOT and had volunteered to help out these people for free by handling/completing their transfers.

On March 21, 2013, I was called to come over to 10-8 to provide my paperwork in the event that they needed my help. No problem. I provided my FFL/SOT to the ATF and got my contact info to Roger who was the former manager and point person on all of this. I told them I'd help however I could. I didn't stay long, but there was some discussion about Roger taking the NFA items with him to secure them as opposed to leaving them in the vault to which they may not have access. I don't know what was decided as far as physical possession of the items.

On March 28, 2013, Roger called me and I emailed him my FFL/SOT. At that time he asked me if I would allow him to be an employee possessor of NFA items (basically show him on my books as an employee so he wouldn't have to Form 4 anything---a perfectly legal process) and I told him no because, frankly, I don't know him and I also don't do that for anyone except the one guy who works with me. We also discussed him providing me a list of all of the NFA items he/10-8/AFFS had in their possession and also a list of those items that were still in the manufacturer's possession but which were paid for and waiting to be shipped to a local SOT for transfer.

Roger made it sound like the list would be coming shortly, so I emailed him on April 2 to make sure I had sent my email to the correct address. He confirmed and said he had been busy. I followed up with emails on April 22 and April 26 with no response. I finally emailed him on April 28 (a month after we first spoke) asking for the lists and telling him that if he had found another SOT to take care of this that was fine, but that if he wanted me to take care of this we needed to get the show on the road. My feeling was that over a month had passed with nothing being done when we could have drafted and sent out all of the necessary forms in a day once we got the lists. I didn't want people thinking I was laying down on the job and not getting stuff done in a timely fashion. Additionally, all the stuff that is currently in the possession of Roger/10-8/AFFS needs to be transferred out prior to July 1 of this year because I highly doubt they are renewing their $500 annual SOT tax.

Roger responded pretty tersely to my April 28 email this morning that he doesn't answer to me and that the ATF had just sent the info to him and that he hasn't had time to do the forms and that a bunch of other SOTs have offered to handle this stuff. I'm OK with that. I told him to call me, I have secretaries who could knock out all the forms in a day, we'll clear the air, and get people their stuff. That was a few hours ago and I haven't heard back.

My purpose in writing this is NOT to throw Roger under the bus. In fact, I actually have a lot of sympathy for Roger. I have no idea why he stepped up and volunteered to do this---he isn't being paid for it, lost his job, is now working a new one, has family responsibilities, etc. But he did step up and take this on which means he now has to do things in a timely fashion. I think he just took on a bit too much. He correctly stated he doesn't answer to me but he does answer to every single person whose property he is holding. I'll happily work with him to resolve this now, but I am not going to allow my reputation to be sullied in the process. People are asking me questions I don't have the answers to, so I decided to put the facts out here.

If Roger gets me all the information I need today, I will have the state forms in Baton Rouge on Wyndie's desk at LSP no later than Wednesday and will place a call to her explaining the situation and seeing if they can be expedited as I understand she had cleared her desk of all NFA backlog as of last Wednesday. We will also have all of the Form 3's drafted and ready to go the second we receive the state forms back. I will also call each person and let them know the status of their item and have them come in to inspect it the same day we take physical possession.

I don't know if I'm still involved in this or not anymore. Roger seems to be upset with me but it's not up to Roger. If you have an NFA item at 10-8/AFFS and have a preference of SOT, call or email me and I will give you Roger's email address and you can let him know where you want it sent. Again, I'm not throwing rocks at Roger as he stepped up to do a thankless job, but right now I'm getting pressure from people to get things done that I can't do unilaterally.

No good deed goes unpunished. All I have wanted to do from day one is help people get the items they paid for. Unfortunately, I am now in the bad spot of being the person that people are looking to for both answers and action, and I am powerless to provide either at this point. I don't want anyone thinking that I have not done what I said I would do.

Best,
    Kenny
    504-717-3377

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom