Restoration projects

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I've got my great Grandpa's percussion shotgun I intend to clean up and hang over the fireplace (subject to spousal approval). I don't think I would restore it and shoot it though...:eek3:

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    is it in that bad a shape? I've got a pair of single barrels made very late 1800 to early 1900. One is older and the other is in questionable shape. I say no go on either. I still take them out of the safe once a year and it gets a good cleaning and oiling like the rest of them.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm trying to help my wife's uncles get some of his Katrina damaged firearms back operational. The current project is an A-Bolt .270 that we need a trigger group and bolt with all the internals to get him back into the woods.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a French Lebel that needs a cylinder advance and lock. I've also inherited my father-in-law's .38 s&w Iver Johnson snub that was flooded. I'll eventually re-blue it and put it in a shadow box frame. I don't think it was all that safe to shoot on the day it was made. He had carried it working part time as a rent-a-cop years ago.
    I also have a Remington 870 I had picked up in a pawn shop. I found a 18 1/2 barrel w/ night sights for next to nothing. I need to redo the furniture though. I don't know if I want to go plastic. Any suggestions on stripping the original finish?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I have my Grandfather's service Beretta from the Air Force. It got left in a basement for like 7 years, though, and it got covered in rust. Took an hour & oil/etc. just to rack the slide (really bad). I am thinking of sandblasting it.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I also have a Remington 870 I had picked up in a pawn shop. I found a 18 1/2 barrel w/ night sights for next to nothing. I need to redo the furniture though. I don't know if I want to go plastic. Any suggestions on stripping the original finish?

Any of the chemical strippers used for furniture restorations will work just fine.
    You may want/need to re-stain the stocks. I also used tung oil instead of polyurethene/varnish type top coat, gives it a nice satin finish.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I have my Grandfather's service Beretta from the Air Force. It got left in a basement for like 7 years, though, and it got covered in rust. Took an hour & oil/etc. just to rack the slide (really bad). I am thinking of sandblasting it.
    I have a sand blaster and refinnishing capabilitys Come over on a bluing weekend and you can redo the gun.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I have a sand blaster and refinnishing capabilitys Come over on a bluing weekend and you can redo the gun.

damn... looks like I need to make a trip to NO one day.

as far as the wood goes I wish I still had pictures of the Stevens 67 I had in 16Ga. I had both before and after and there was a tremendous difference. Someone had painted a camo job on it. I lightly sanded the paint off and gave the wood a good once over with some medium grit sandpaper. I finished it with a nice dark stain and spent the next week hand rubbing tung oil on it. It was probably more effort than the gun was worth but it looked really nice and I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Top Bottom