Rimfire Precision Rifle Match coming to Palo Alto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    Sometime in the next 2-3 months Palo Alto will start holding rimfire PRS style matches. We are working through match details right now to ensure we have a safe match and match plan in place. Matches will be around 100 rounds.

If you have any questions ask.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    What equipment do you need for this? What are some popular setups?

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    What equipment do you need for this? What are some popular setups?
    The bare essentials are a .22LR rifle, scope, and ammo really, but a bipod and a PRS bag (Armageddon Gear/Wiebad) are almost essentials as well.

Base
    Ruger Precision Rimfire
    Savage 93
    Bergaga B14R
    CZ 457

Open
    Vudoo
    Anschutz

There are many other rifles that are used in these matches this is just a few to give you an idea.

As far as scopes go you want a FFP scope that has exposed turrets and some type of BDC reticle. A scope that has a maximum zoom of 16 will work just fine but a lot of competitors use scopes that max at 25. The scope on my rifle goes to 25x but I rarely use that magnification level in matches because it makes it hard when transitioning on targets. I'm usually around 12-15x for stages that require transitioning.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Would a ruger 10/22 be allowed. Asking because I have several that are all stock. Was looking at KIDD Innovations to mod one for precision shooting.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I see that Wiebad and Armageddon are popular brands, but what shape or type of bag is best for this? There are so many. Do I want the small rear, the large flat bag for the front etc.?

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Interested but haven't developed a dope book on 22lr out of my rifle. Never tried longer than 100 yards. Have dope books on my centerfire rifles but no 22lr. Would be shooting initially for fun but would like any tips available from the forum? Nothing sucks more than asking where did it hit!

Would be shooting quoted mv of 1235 no idea what barrel length but, would use either a 18in or 22in barrel.

It's starting to get hard rather than fun in my mind already.

Any tips appreciated!

Last edited:

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    @twinin schmedimum gamechanger or pint size game changer work for basically everything. i also have a mini fortune cookie from weibad but pull the game changer out the most. waxed canvas / heavy fill

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    @twinin schmedimum gamechanger or pint size game changer work for basically everything. i also have a mini fortune cookie from weibad but pull the game changer out the most. waxed canvas / heavy fill
    This. If you’re going to get a bag, spend the money and get a schmedium from Armageddon Gear. I used a standard Game Changer for years; had a bud let me use his schmedium this year to run the same barricades/stages to compare the two….huge improvement.

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    Interested but haven't developed a dope book on 22lr out of my rifle. Never tried longer than 100 yards. Have dope books on my centerfire rifles but no 22lr. Would be shooting initially for fun but would like any tips available from the forum? Nothing sucks more than asking where did it hit!

Would be shooting quoted mv of 1235 no idea what barrel length but, would use either a 18in or 22in barrel.

It's starting to get hard rather than fun in my mind already.

Any tips appreciated!
    Competitors usually use standard velocity ammo (<1100fps). This is because when the bullet makes the transition from supersonic to subsonic it can destabilize.

If you are shooting a barrel that has a match chamber the velocity will probably be higher than what is listed on the box because of the tighter bore. If you have a way to measure your muzzle velocity, get a 50yd zero, and plug the data into a calculator you should be able to trust the results. Rimfire bullets usually have a BC in the .15-.17 range. ELEY list the BC of their bullets at .172.

If I didn't explain something well enough or if you have more questions just let me know.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    No, great info. I figured with the high velocity 22 I was planning to use there would be transonic issues. I have experienced that with my centerfire rifles at long range, limits their usefulness at the transition.

Thanks for the 50 yard zero advice. Currently don't have a way measure velocity but probably can get close comparing drops at other yardage. A back into it way which has worked before.

Thanks again and stay safe

cjt0311

Pocket Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The Palo Alto .22 matches have started they had been posted in the posted a few times in here (competition thread) there is one actually THIS Sunday 11/27.

The matches are the 4th sundays of the month and there is a practice on the 2nd Saturday of the month (obviously not a match Dec Bc of Christmas) @civiltiger07 can get you more info, looking forward to shooting with you

Top Bottom