Ruger GP100 Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    So I am becoming very much a fan of wheel guns and have a gp100 that I love. However, the original (and the new hi-viz fiber optic) front sight on it has me shooting high, sometimes about 8" or so whenever about 10yards out, and with 38spl shooting plates about 25yards out I noticed it seems to still be about two inches high from where I am aiming (357 hits hella higher, it being the 8" or so high club).

I cranked down the rear sight as low as I can get it and still seems to be shooting high as before. Didn't know if this is a known issue, and what sight set would yield Point of Aim/Point of Impact better for it? New to revolvers still, but I'm starting to figure that 357 hits higher up than 38spl I am assuming.

It's a 4" barrel model if that helps any.

Ddk85

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Near Albany La
    Do you hold the site over the target, like a combat sight picture? I do. I had a couple pistols that shot too high, so I just used the 6 o clock hold on them. 8in at 10yrds? Sheesh :eek3:

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    I've tried the "just under the spot" holds like you mention, holding at 6 o'clock, but seems like I'd have to aim for the guy's bellybutton to hit his chest at this rate lol.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Did you buy it new and is that the original sights?
    Ruger is very good with customer service and a call or email should get you a solution.

Arbiterk

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 23, 2018
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah it had the original. I will message them, but from what I can tell the front sight is not tall enough for sure, so anyone who had aftermarket sights they found to be great buys, I'm def down for that.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    They make different insert heights for the rear factory sights. Mine shot high and I replaced it. It now shoots fine. I have no idea what height I bought, it was long ago.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mine is an older model, but it has a recessed button below the front sight at the end of the barrel that you push in to remove the sight. I did not need to replace it, but it's sort of easy to swap for a taller one using a brass punch. It's a really stiff spring. Maybe a call to Ruger would even get them to ship you a free one.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom