SA new double stack 9mm 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    @Mitch Dufour i know you felt it was worth it, and thats all that matters...

But what matters to me is you gave a great review and non sugar coated of how the gun actually performed, and the results you got outta it. vs some of them famous youtube fellas being sent custom special built guns sent to them to get a good review and false info because they are sponsors or get to keep the gun after the review

thanks for your time to type the review up and send the info out.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Don’t feel bad man, you can find pages and pages of problems with STI/Staccato in the early years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Don’t feel bad man, you can find pages and pages of problems with STI/Staccato in the early years.

HAAA lol nice try..... to bad SA has been around for 235 years vs 42 years of STI and 3 years for staccato..... silly rabbit tricks are for kids... and to be fair, sti invented the double stack 9mm 1911/2011... SA invented a few muskets ,m1, the xd oh yea and the famous hellcat..... lol... proven track record of taking other peoples guns and trying to copy them or buying there paten and claiming it as there own, guess thats ok after spending millions for the blueprint and hard work of others

1663556437984.png

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston

in fact the only problems i have ever seen to any extent have been older sti race guns, built and fine tuned to race... thats like saying you built a 8sec -1/4 mile car but it keeps burning up the brakes, fouling plugs, has no a/c and buring to much gas sitting in traffic in baton rouge... lol yes of course older sti race guns didnt like cheaper ammo/diff weight ammo ect. they were purpose driven guns, and had to stay within the requirements of the purpose to function correct.

but hey dont let me scare ya... if i was you id throw that $1500 at SA for there new gun... at least you wont have to be ashamed of it cause no body can see you with it in them dark tinted windows and will give you more time to clear the malfunctions of it... cuase we cant see you, ya know :deadhorse:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    in fact the only problems i have ever seen to any extent have been older sti race guns, built and fine tuned to race... thats like saying you built a 8sec -1/4 mile car but it keeps burning up the brakes, fouling plugs, has no a/c and buring to much gas sitting in traffic in baton rouge... lol yes of course older sti race guns didnt like cheaper ammo/diff weight ammo ect. they were purpose driven guns, and had to stay within the requirements of the purpose to function correct.

but hey dont let me scare ya... if i was you id throw that $1500 at SA for there new gun... at least you wont have to be ashamed of it cause no body can see you with it in them dark tinted windows and will give you more time to clear the malfunctions of it... cuase we cant see you, ya know :deadhorse:

That’s because you are blinded by your shiny staccatos lol. You know how to use google. A lot of the early problems where garbage magazines from what I read. An easy fix but still a problem for a gun costing that much.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    That’s because you are blinded by your shiny staccatos lol. You know how to use google. A lot of the early problems where garbage magazines from what I read. An easy fix but still a problem for a gun costing that much.

here ya go buddy :mamoru:

1663561074111.png

and this one kinda fits the situation also lol

1663561695950.png

Last edited:

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I'm not sure what the new SA double stack has to do with any other firearm but the SA should run flawless out the box with ammo you can buy at the store as most modern guns should do. There is no reason to do anything to make it run besides send it back to SA.

I wonder how many SA sold then out of those how many had failures. People mostly hear about the bad instead of the good.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I'm not sure what the new SA double stack has to do with any other firearm but the SA should run flawless out the box with ammo you can buy at the store as most modern guns should do. There is no reason to do anything to make it run besides send it back to SA.

I wonder how many SA sold then out of those how many had failures. People mostly hear about the bad instead of the good.
    much agreed

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok my 2 cents.

As of a week ago Mr. Bryan at Louisiana Gun And Reload had one on the self. I got to spend a little time with the New SA.
    I have not shot the new SA, just handling,
    First impression.
    Over all the gun looked good, and the fit and finish was what I expected from SA, now 10 + years ago this would have not been acceptable. A good wipe down with a silicone cloth will bring out a good looking somewhat acceptable finish.

The gun point very naturally (at least for me) I worked the gun as I if I was using it in a USPSA match pulling from a holster or from a table, even with an uneven grip the gun pointed naturally for the most part.

The grip, not the biggest fan. The texture isn't as aggressive as I would like, even for a carry gun. I found it to be very smooth, now take note my hands are pretty rough (working in a warehouse handling material all day, your hands get pretty torn up and rough)
    The instant I got home the gun would be detailed stripped. The grip would get a visit from the Dremel to prep it for some epoxy and silica carbide in the 60 to 80 grit range. As funds became available a Cheely Customs E2 grip would be fitted to the SA.

Barrel lock up, was acceptable for the price range of the gun. Could be a lot better. There was no movement that I could detect with the slide in the forward position. Halfway through the unlock of the barrel, I could see and feel movement in the barrel to slide fitment. (I have never seen or felt this before in any of my other SA 1911's).
    My STI Edge had no such movement, Now I know the STI is a Semi-Custom that is mass produced and the fitment tolerance are expected to be much better than a true mass produce gun. A $1500 gun compared to a $3000 or to a true $4000+ custom Atlas Gunworks gun.

Trigger, out of the box it came in about 6lbs and was pretty gritty for an SA. I believe with just a little spring tuning you could get it in the 3lb range. With a couple hundred round down range I think it would settle in, in the mid to upper 4lb range and be much smoother.

Overall I would buy this gun.
    Grip texturing and a trigger job is a must. Once those 2 items are done, I truly believe that you would have a great entry level double stack gun for carry and competition for under $2000.

Competition - Since the new SA is only offered in 9mm at this time, you would be at a slight disadvantage points wise shooting minor power factor but still would be a great gun to get started in USPSA, Limited division.

Steel Challenge (Limited Division)- You are good to go. No power factor disadvantage.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Ok my 2 cents.

As of a week ago Mr. Bryan at Louisiana Gun And Reload had one on the self. I got to spend a little time with the New SA.
    I have not shot the new SA, just handling,
    First impression.
    Over all the gun looked good, and the fit and finish was what I expected from SA, now 10 + years ago this would have not been acceptable. A good wipe down with a silicone cloth will bring out a good looking somewhat acceptable finish.

The gun point very naturally (at least for me) I worked the gun as I if I was using it in a USPSA match pulling from a holster or from a table, even with an uneven grip the gun pointed naturally for the most part.

The grip, not the biggest fan. The texture isn't as aggressive as I would like, even for a carry gun. I found it to be very smooth, now take note my hands are pretty rough (working in a warehouse handling material all day, your hands get pretty torn up and rough)
    The instant I got home the gun would be detailed stripped. The grip would get a visit from the Dremel to prep it for some epoxy and silica carbide in the 60 to 80 grit range. As funds became available a Cheely Customs E2 grip would be fitted to the SA.

Barrel lock up, was acceptable for the price range of the gun. Could be a lot better. There was no movement that I could detect with the slide in the forward position. Halfway through the unlock of the barrel, I could see and feel movement in the barrel to slide fitment. (I have never seen or felt this before in any of my other SA 1911's).
    My STI Edge had no such movement, Now I know the STI is a Semi-Custom that is mass produced and the fitment tolerance are expected to be much better than a true mass produce gun. A $1500 gun compared to a $3000 or to a true $4000+ custom Atlas Gunworks gun.

Trigger, out of the box it came in about 6lbs and was pretty gritty for an SA. I believe with just a little spring tuning you could get it in the 3lb range. With a couple hundred round down range I think it would settle in, in the mid to upper 4lb range and be much smoother.

Overall I would buy this gun.
    Grip texturing and a trigger job is a must. Once those 2 items are done, I truly believe that you would have a great entry level double stack gun for carry and competition for under $2000.

Competition - Since the new SA is only offered in 9mm at this time, you would be at a slight disadvantage points wise shooting minor power factor but still would be a great gun to get started in USPSA, Limited division.

Steel Challenge (Limited Division)- You are good to go. No power factor disadvantage.
    be interested to see how the review is after its shot, or if it shoots reliably

Top Bottom