SELLING GUNS (LONG AND HAND) TO OUT OF STATE RESIDENT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Hello members. I've been listing some guns for sale (currently handguns, but will also post some long guns). To gather crowd-sourcing info, I have recently joined some other gun forums in neighboring states (MS, AL, FL). Is it worth listing the guns for sale on those sites, assuming a member/buyer from those sites will be a non-Louisiana resident? Or is it not worth the trouble due to the FFL transfer requirements? Thanks.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hello members. I've been listing some guns for sale (currently handguns, but will also post some long guns). To gather crowd-sourcing info, I have recently joined some other gun forums in neighboring states (MS, AL, FL). Is it worth listing the guns for sale on those sites, assuming a member/buyer from those sites will be a non-Louisiana resident? Or is it not worth the trouble due to the FFL transfer requirements? Thanks.
    It depends on the value of the firearm and how willing you are to get rid of them.

Your FFL will charge a fee and the receiving FFL in the other state will charge a fee. There is also the cost of shipping from FFL to FFL.

If it's worth it to you or the buyer to add that additional expense, then it's worth it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Much easier here---lower you price $25.00 (your FFL fee)---save the leg work etc. avoid scammers and so on---IMO.
    I would echo this. That being said, if you're older or less experienced with firearms, it may be a better idea to even do local sales in person at a FFL

Griz375

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2022
    901 AC
    Much easier here---lower you price $25.00 (your FFL fee)---save the leg work etc. avoid scammers and so on---IMO.
    All true but I'm in Memphis TN and if I want what's on offer, I pay shipping plus I use an FFL who receives firearms from private parties.
    WILCO Tactical
    Mike Wilson
    5674 Cleaves Circle. Bay103
    Arlington, TN
    (901) 485-5589
    sales@wilcotactical.com
    www.wilcotactical.com

His shop hours are a little weird - he's a firefighter but reliable as all get out - I think he might have transferred 15 or 16 firearms to us. Let me know what you're moving on with prices and how you prefer payment.

THANK YOU

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    All true but I'm in Memphis TN and if I want what's on offer, I pay shipping plus I use an FFL who receives firearms from private parties.
    WILCO Tactical
    Mike Wilson
    5674 Cleaves Circle. Bay103
    Arlington, TN
    (901) 485-5589
    sales@wilcotactical.com
    www.wilcotactical.com

His shop hours are a little weird - he's a firefighter but reliable as all get out - I think he might have transferred 15 or 16 firearms to us. Let me know what you're moving on with prices and how you prefer payment.

THANK YOU
    Yes sir I agree with you---if you're happy that's all that counts on your end---it does not stop the leg work and cost on this end though. Thanks for your input
    and have a good day.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Thanks forum members for the previous replies. For more clarification, please help with the following scenario.
    I am a Louisiana resident. Can I drive to Mississippi (with the gun) to sell a handgun to a Mississippi resident? If we meet at an FFL and conduct the sale within the necessary legal parameters? Or, can a Mississippi resident drive to Louisiana and buy a handgun from me, if we meet at an FFL and conduct the sale within the necessary legal parameters? Thanks a bunch.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I believe the former scenario would apply. It would have to be transferred to the Mississipi resident by a Mississippi FFL. You might want to contact the Miss. FFL to see if you can bring it to him to transfer to the Miss resident. Some won't receive anything that did not come in through a LA. FFL.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks forum members for the previous replies. For more clarification, please help with the following scenario.
    I am a Louisiana resident. Can I drive to Mississippi (with the gun) to sell a handgun to a Mississippi resident? If we meet at an FFL and conduct the sale within the necessary legal parameters? Or, can a Mississippi resident drive to Louisiana and buy a handgun from me, if we meet at an FFL and conduct the sale within the necessary legal parameters? Thanks a bunch.
    @southerncanuck & @AdvancedLaser - You both have FFLs...mind chiming in?

My understanding (I may be wrong on this one) is that to transfer a handgun to someone out of state, you must sign the firearm over to a Louisiana-based FFL. That Louisiana FFL must then transfer the firearm to a Mississippi FFL. The Mississippi FFL then can transfer the firearm to the resident.

For some reason, I seem to remember it being disallowed for you to drive across the border, transfer to FFL, and then let them transfer, but I'm not 100% confident in my answer. One of our local FFLs would know, though.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    An individual non-FFL can ship to an out of state FFL, Some FFL's in the ship to state may not accept from an individual from out of state, but that is up to that particular FFL.
    I'm not sure about an individual bringing it to an out of state FFL to transfer to an individual in that state.
    I've been shipping firearms to FFL's around the country that were bought from me off Gunbroker auctions for the past 20+ years, never had a problem. I just put a copy of my Driver's License along with a Bill of Sale made out to the purchaser in the shipment.
    When in doubt, look up the rules on the BATF website.

Top Bottom