Shotgun for home defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Long guns are better than handguns, that shouldn’t be an argument. Sometimes handguns are just more convenient, like when only having one hand free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I saw this video pop up earlier as well.

while there is no argument on what is the best stopper or ballistics, etc.

his question in the video is a guy charging you with a knife in the bedroom, which would you rather get one shot off with? He then mentions you have to address maneuvers with a long gun, limited space and doorways.

it just seems to me, his question, leads me to think, I could rip off 3 or more rounds from a pistol, before he go to me, versus a maybe 1 with a long gun.

I say maybe 1, since you have to be in the process of getting it ready, drawing it from where ever, and getting it on target, etc.

or am I just thinking wrong?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Personally I believe it all boils down to what you are most comfortable with, what you train with, what you are proficient with and what you stick with.
    Whether you train with a handgun or rifle or SBR and clearing rooms or plan to stay in the dark spot with a shotgun trained on the only entrance to your safe spot, whichever YOU decide is your game plan is what YOU should work on. I’ve heard the arguments about what stops who better and I feel certain enough to bet my life on what I believe about a shotgun for basic home defense. A good shotgun in the right hands is a solid option for home defense. It’s not my only choice but it generally ranks number one for me in my home.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I train frequently will all. When I go to bed at night I keep a 12 gauge and 9mm in my bedside set up. If I have the luxury to get up and investigate the pistol will go on my pocket ( I wear gym shorts with pockets to sleep) and the shotgun will come in my hands. If I wake up to someone already in my room the pistol is ready to go and spit off some rounds.

as far as the argument what’s better a shotgun or ar it’s not even a question imo a shotgun wins in every category for home defense for me personally.

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Had a trusty ol' shotgun for HD then had kids. Would rather the little guys not grow up hearing impaired if, god forbid, I had to fire the thing indoors.

^ How I convinced myself (and wife) that I really did need that $1000 suppressor.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Had a trusty ol' shotgun for HD then had kids. Would rather the little guys not grow up hearing impaired if, god forbid, I had to fire the thing indoors.

^ How I convinced myself (and wife) that I really did need that $1000 suppressor.

Well played sir

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    who here is going to clear rooms in a home invasion? you're gonna make every attempt to drop the POS, or multiple POS, at their point of entry. then gather your family and hold up in a defendable room while calling and waiting for LEOs.

I'm on board with shotguns for HD and pistols near POE. My wife is petite and she wields a 20g pump like Bonnie Parker

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    As with every "what's the best xxx for yyy" question, the answer is "it's complicated and a lot depends on the preferences of the individual"

Everyone will have an opinion, almost all of them will be valid, and the question will be asked again in a month.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It could be explained in one sentence.

“You should seek training.”

If someone has training with the 3 firearms mentioned, how does more training help them decide? You need to figure out what your personal needs are in the environment you will be using it. If you have never trained with any of them then yes, get training. That’s not always the answer to every question, no matter how many times people say it on the internet.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If someone has training with the 3 firearms mentioned, how does more training help them decide? You need to figure out what your personal needs are in the environment you will be using it. If you have never trained with any of them then yes, get training. That’s not always the answer to every question, no matter how many times people say it on the internet.

To expound on your point. Say I have no guns and no training where do I start? Do I take training in all three so I can decide which is for me? Honestly it’s a question with no one-size answer. The sooner everyone comes to grips with that the better off we wil all be.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Do they have equal training with all three or more training with one over the others?

Typically, individuals who have sought out training will have established an understanding of each specific firearm and be able to make an informed decision on their own.

There are many documented cases of individuals defending themselves without being a USPSA GM, that doesn’t mean training is not the ideal solution for those who are unfamiliar. Logic would conclude that the individual should use whatever they have the most proficiency with. Even if that individual has zero formal training, they will be more proficient with one of these firearms over the others.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    To expound on your point. Say I have no guns and no training where do I start? Do I take training in all three so I can decide which is for me? Honestly it’s a question with no one-size answer. The sooner everyone comes to grips with that the better off we wil all be.

Bingo

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    who here is going to clear rooms in a home invasion? you're gonna make every attempt to drop the POS, or multiple POS, at their point of entry. then gather your family and hold up in a defendable room while calling and waiting for LEOs.

I'm on board with shotguns for HD and pistols near POE. My wife is petite and she wields a 20g pump like Bonnie Parker
    Bad guys will eventually respect the woman with the 20 gauge.

jgb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think the best gun for home defense is a good plan that everyone in the home knows and knows what to do. I also think shotguns are the best weapon to use in the home. It does not have to be 12 gauge 20 is fine

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I overheard a conversation at a crawfish boil between a couple of guys discussing home protection while they were working out of town . One of the guys said he was going to get his wife a 12 ga pump with a pistol grip . :eek3: I butted in and asked him if his wife had any experience with shotguns ? " Nope " . I told him he couldn't have dreamed up a worse choice in home protection for her if he tried . He just gave me a blank look and changed the subject . Well , I tried .

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom