Some gun belts, and why you need one.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    For anyone new to the carry game, let's start with why you need a gun belt. Yes, they're $50+; No, your regular belt isn't just as good. Here's why... A good gun belt supports the weight of a loaded firearm and distributes it better around your waist. This makes wearing a gun more comfortable and more concealable. A belt, ideally, should be laterally pliable but vertically rigid (it should loop, but not sag).

All pictures below are shown with a P365xl loaded with 13 rounds of HST 147gr in a Vedder Lighttuck, at a relatively modest carry weight of 1lb 13.2oz

Here are two extremes to highlight the difference: A regular top-grain* "jeans belt" vs a reinforced competition outer belt. The difference is fairly self-explanatory...

regular jeans belt
    GN3NcSZ.jpg

midway competition outer belt
    zFG4IvU.jpg

Safe assume nobody's walking around in a match rig, so here are some examples of popular not-too-expensive gun belts. My photography isn't very good, but I hope this gives the general gist.

hank's gunner
    fvH1XQu.jpg

blue alpha gear low-profile edc
    BHd2NiM.jpg

blue alpha gear hybrid
    xrG1xCO.jpg

nexbelt guardian (kydex reinforced)
    A5JpxuJ.jpg

The Nexbelt is the newest to me, but I can already tell that my dearly beloved and well-worn BAGs aren't going to get nearly much rotation as they used to. A reinforced core, even a thin kydex one, makes a heck of a difference.

Caveat: I carry strongside, so if there are any beltular nuances for appendix carry, someone please chime in and correct me on anything.

*If you're buying a leather belt, buy only "top grain" or "full grain" -- those are literal slices of cow skin. Anything that says "bonded leather" or "genuine leather" is basically leather particleboard (leather shavings + glue) that'll crack and wear out very quickly.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I absolutely love my Hank’s Belt. I’ve worn it damn near every day for about 7 years now and it pretty much still looks brand new. Quality stuff.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I got a 511 belt and that did well with my 43x but the p10c it didn't hold up well at all. I now have a bigfoot steel core belt and it's a game changer.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Yes this has been on my list for a while, thanks for reminding me. My shitty dress belts or casual belts always sag and cause pain after a while when carrying my full size, especially if I'm hunting and have a BUG as well as a knife on there.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Most of the time I do not belt carry, but still wear a Beltman horse hide gun belt everyday (stiff enough without a liner). Once you get used to wearing a gun belt, it just feels odd wearing a normal, flimsy one. I'd recommend a nice leather one that can be worn on occasions when you need to tuck in your shirt and can easily be taken on/off.

#1ZFG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2021
    Covington
    I have the WPS Appendix carry Nexbelt and like it so far. I also have a regular Nextbelt, but the buckle was too wide to use my sidecar rig, so it's just a jeans belt now. My only complaint is the buckle thickness. I wish it was about 1/4" less. I also have some 10 year old 5.11 instructor belts that hold up my 43x and 48 just fine and aren't super stiff like the Nexbelts.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    ordered one last week, should be in tomm... i got it mostly to try appendix carry and got the appendix carry one, they have 10% off on there site plus free shipping... I like the idea of being able to loosen/tighten with 2 hands and not lifting your shirt and pulling the tail out.. Will make it nice on long travels to just loosen it up a notch or 2 for the ride and able to push it back in a notch or 2 when you get outta the car and tighten it back up

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I bought a SOE EDC Belt (Cobra buckle) about 6 years ago- and so far, I can't wear it out. I believe you could use this thing as a tow strap accessory- it's tough.

Top Bottom