Tabs in chrome with red dot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've just noticed this recently, but some posts that I pull out into their own tab in Chrome have red dots in the upper left of the little Louisiana icon on the tab and some don't. They are sale posts so I haven't replied to them (I thought maybe a red dot if I participated in the post), they all have bump replies, so they aren't just the original posts (I thought maybe no dot for original posts, dot for post with replies). Someone please enlighten me.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When you click on that tab, do you see some sort of a notification? I have 3 notifications on the site with the pictured tab. As I'm typing this, I got a new notification on this site and a red dot appeared on all the tabs open for this site.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 103011.png

krotsman

Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, here's my setup. I have 1 "main" tab I look at the site on. It has no red dot. When I'm tracking something I might want to buy, I create a new tab for the item. Some of the "buy" tabs have red dots, some don't. When you said that, I went to the buy tabs and looked and some had alerts. I clicked on the alerts and the red dot went away. Mystery sorta solved. HOWEVER, my main tab was never red and had the same alerts. :dunno:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So the newer versions of chrome are supposed to not use as much system memory. If you hover your mouse over a tab, it will show you how much memory that tab is using. If you don't go to a tab for a while, I believe it "forgets" that page by releasing that part of the system memory and has to reload it to visit it again. If chrome marks that tab has a notification pending then forgets the page, it won't know the notification has been cleared until the page is reloaded. Because of that, you may have multiple tabs open from the same site and only some show a notification. I think that's how it works.

krotsman

Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ah, ok, that might explain why the baby tabs didn't lose the dot immediately until I refreshed them after clearing the alerts, but the parent tab that I use all the time never had a red dot. Like right now, I have 1 alert, probably because you responded to this post, but my tab has no red dot.

Top Bottom