Taurus stigma

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So,what's this whole issue about Taurus striker fired pistols anyway? I'm talking about the 24/7s and the Milleniums. I shot one the other day and it wasn't all bad. It's nothing like the other more expensive and popular brands but they do have great marketing and coverage. I've heard issues about these two pistols but nothing that actually earned a recall. I thought the pistol was adequate and the triggers were ok but what other issues are there? Other than the fact that it's a Taurus (and there's nothing wrong with that) what should one be weary off when owning these pistols?

Last edited:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have a PT 111 Millenium Pro in 9 mm. I have only fired about 200 rounds thru it and so far no issues. I quite like its size and 13 round capacity. Thats a lot of firepower in a small package. I plan to thoroughly wring it out in the near future before I decide to carry it CCW.

I frequently visit and post at another site www.taurusarmed.net. There is a lot of discussion regarding the Millenium and 24/7 series pistols and it is overwhelmingly positive. They seem to be pretty reliable pistols. The only common complaint is getting used to the Heine sights and the different site picture required to shot them accurately. For most people, they shoot low and left until you learn to use the correct site picture.

I suggest you visit that site. It has a world of info on these pistols.

I know that there are many expert shooters and instructors on this site who are very anti-Taurus. Maybe they have good reason to be. But all I can tell you, with my limited experinece (I own 3 Taurus pistols) , they have served me well. My PT 99 I have shot about 3000 rounds thru without a single FTF or FTE.

BTW, I met you at the shooting range about 6 months ago and let you fire my Sig 1911.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have a PT-145 Millenium Pro. Same size as a GLOCK 26; but, .45ACP 10+1. Three years old. Zero malfunction, so far.

I find myself carrying it more and more, while leaving much more expensive pieces home in safe.

Also have a couple TAURUS' .22's; also no mafunction so far.

The ONLY problem is that there are few decent holsters available for this fine pistol.

Last edited:

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    I've had 3 taurus pistols - sold 2, kept 'The Judge' because there was nothing else on the market like it.
    Fit has been a bit loose on all three, and the finish is subpar.
    In general, i've found them to be sloppy pistols, and not quite the same quality as my Rugers, Smiths, or Walthers.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    I had a 24/7 compact in 9mm. Everything went great till about 500 rounds then the sear failed and for some reason the pin safety didn't work. Kinda interesting sending two rounds down the pipe upon dropping the slide. Thank god pointed safe and all that. Sent to Taurus and had it fixed but never could bring myself to trust it again, took it back to the store I bought it and handed it to them. Our Judge public defender I couldn't be happier with. I also have a model 605 I love. Their autos just aren't my thing, but I really enjoy their revolvers.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Taurus got a bad rep due to issues with their earlier gen pistols. They really had some reliability issues if you go by what people report. You don't see near as many issues if any with their newer stuff (Gen3). Taurus makes a lot of guns, you will have some issues when you do that. Their copy designs (PT92, PT1911) are better, it's their in house designed stuff that had issues. It has given a black eye to Taurus.

Most people with a Gen 3 or better gun seem to do better. All that being said, I don't see them in competition. Maybe I should buy one and run it a bit. :rofl: I wouldn't mind a PT145.

I do like their wheel guns fine. They aren't as nice as a Smith or Ruger, but they generally hold up their end of the bargain by shooting when I pull the trigger and hitting what I point it at. I often carry a 605 in my pocket.

I've had 3 taurus pistols - sold 2, kept 'The Judge' because there was nothing else on the market like it.
    Fit has been a bit loose on all three, and the finish is subpar.
    In general, i've found them to be sloppy pistols, and not quite the same quality as my Rugers, Smiths, or Walthers.

How did the pistol perform?

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I've owned three Taurus revolvers...a 6" blued .357 model 689, 6" stainless .44 mag Raging Bull and a stainless Gaucho(Colt SAA clone).
    All three are strong, well built guns, the 689 which was made in 1990 had beautiful blueing and case hardened hammer and trigger and I have polished the other two to a bright finish. All have been trouble free and flawless shooters. Gun snobs will put down taurus but they represent great value and quality in my opinion.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I imagine he has.

I didn't doubt him at all. I just thought it was funny that I never have. The Taurus rap is that bad with people who shoot frequently.

That being said, I would like to see a newer gen gun go through the paces. Glock makes a reliable, accurate firearm for not a whole lot of money, but I do think they make a little more per gun than many others. I don't see why another gun company couldn't do the same.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I don't have a semi-auto Taurus, however, I do have a short barrel .357. I've fired about 200 or so rounds from it, mostly .38 special loads. I haven't had any problems with it, it resides in my wife's nightstand. Comparing it to a few other brands I have, I don't think it's built as well and I don't feel that it will last as long. But, at this point, after several years I have no reason to not trust it.

~rc~

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You can usually find a used Glock for the price of a new Taurus, spend $15-30 on new springs and have a great gun that will not disappoint. It is also a ton of fun to buy a used gun that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years and spend a couple of hours disassembling, cleaning, replacing springs, and reassembling it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I disagree about the "its not a Glock so haters hate". I'm familiar with Taurus firearms, for better or worse my father bought several.

One of them blew up in my hand (PT-25)

One of them would never feed quite right, a PT-101 that went back to the factory 2X

Two revolvers are loose as a goose after a less 1,000 rounds each

One revolver is just fine because the only person that ever shot or carried it was my stepmother and she has about 20 rounds through it.

The last time I was going to give a Taurus a chance, **new from the factor, in the gun store** the slide bound up on the frame rails and had to be hammered free.

The last person who bought a Taurus despite my efforts to get them to spend a LITTLE bit more ended up with a revolver that has so little cylinder gap it can be difficult to pull the trigger after 25 rounds of shooting.

The last Taurus I shot was a PT1911 that slipped to half cock which the owner said "it does that sometimes". LSP972 was there for that one.

It is a numbers game. They make a HUGE number of guns for people that want inexpensive and/or novel guns. **They sell on price point, not quality**

They have a "lifetime warranty" because it helps get past the fact that there are countless stories of failure.

Taurus plays the odds that the vast majority of people 1) don't shoot enough to HAVE a problem 2) If the have a problem, won't recognize it for what it is and 3) it is cheaper to fix the few than come back than to make ALL of them to the highest standard

So - have hundreds of thousands of servicable Tauri made it out into the gun buying public that happen to have decently fitted parts? Sure.

Are you yourself playing the odds by buying one? ABSOLUTELY.

If you bought a Glock/HK/Smith/Springfield would you decrease the chance of buying a lemon for... $50? $100? more??

It isn't about being a gun snob. I'm way past the "my guns are the only guns". The skill set holding the gun is WAY more important than the gun itself.

I will say that I have never, ever run into anyone - student or instructor - that shoots real volume, has trained regularly, and who competes - that does or would carry a Taurus.

It is simply a matter of their QC being geared toward production numbers, not quality.

You are one of the few people who have posted with something to back it up. You have had some pretty bad experience IMO. My luck has been better than yours. I had a PT99 that had failure to extract issues, but the gun was 20 years old and all it needed was cleaning the gunk out of the extractor pocket. Ran fine after that. It was quite nasty. I didn't keep it long after that though.... I just didn't enjoy shooting it.

I have two Taurus snubs, the light weight doesn't get shot much, but works fine. The 605 probably has around 500 rounds through it and I got it used (I think it had been passed around BS a bit). It works fine and isn't any more loose than most guns.

I had a 606 that probably had around 500 rounds through it. It was too big to carry, so I sold it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What pangris said.

I also have read lots of good reviews from Taurus owners. Typically they have 100-200 rounds through the gun. Show me even a handful of positive reviews of a Taurus run hard (classes, etc) for a few thousand rounds and I'll be impressed. Simply put, it won't happen.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

You can find quality guns that will function as well as any man made object can for $350-$500.

Why people buy something OTHER than those - I will never, ever understand.

Quality Used S&W revolver for under $250

I wouldn't be 'happy'

But a $200 Model 10 and a $200 Norinco SKS would get me through life, and can be found without looking too hard.

-My Taurus revolver would 'bind' if I did any rapid shooting/reload drills.

I MUCH prefer to pick up used S&W model 36's for $220- $275.
    (Got 4 or 5 of em now)

ETA: When those Taurus 1911's came out I was looking for a 1911 with a rail.

Thought about picking one up.
    Figured I could replace everything but the 3 main components and come out ahead.

In the gunstore, picked on up... not just the sites, but the DOVETAILS were cut VERY crooked.

I figured if THAT got through their 'Quality control'...

Bought Kimber warriors

Last edited:

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I have put over 1500 rounds through my millennium .40. No issues whatsoever. Now my ruger MKIII after less than 300 rounds, I cannot pull the slide back more than half an inch.

Top Bottom