TT gunleather- IWB vs. "mike's special"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I've decided to get a TT gunleather holster. I've been beating my brains over whether to get the IWB vs. the mike's special. Does anybody have a recommendation, pictures in use, etc? Thanks.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I've decided to get a TT gunleather holster. I've been beating my brains over whether to get the IWB vs. the mike's special. Does anybody have a recommendation, pictures in use, etc? Thanks.

Tim talked me into the Mike's Special for my P30. I don't have it yet. It seemed like from my conversation with Jeremy he recommended the reinforced IWB for his G19. The dimensions of the gun are very similar which is strange. I'd recommend giving Tim a call and letting him make a recommendation based on how you plan to use it.

He is a super nice guy and I felt much more comfortable placing my order over the phone.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Which gun? I called him to switch my order for my G19 IWB to the "Mike's special" and he told me he doesn't do them for Glocks since, because of the grip angle, there is already a pretty extreme cant.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Which gun? I called him to switch my order for my G19 IWB to the "Mike's special" and he told me he doesn't do them for Glocks since, because of the grip angle, there is already a pretty extreme cant.

G26. Guess that settles that. :D

But I will be interested in a review when it gets here. My G19 will be the next one that needs some leather.

Last edited:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I'm not sure when Jeremy ordered his. I'm 2 months in, but I think he's 5 months behind :(

Glad I have some VM2's for some other carry guns.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Mine will probably be in some time March of 2012.

I say that because the last holster I ordered had a 6 week wait and took 5 months. :rofl:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    LSP,

I got the Mike's Special because it sits lower and I wanted to try to keep everything under my side gut :chuckles: Should I call Tim and change to the regular? I don't want to wait 5 months and regret it.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Yeah. I guess if I don't like it I have other carry guns and can more than likely get my money back to order another. I almost ordered the standard for the HK45C and the Mike's Special for the P30.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Received my "improved" TT IWB for a G19 at the class. Dan Zelenka ordered it last year to replace the one I lent him... and he kept.

Tim told me, and it is plain comparing the new with the old, that he made some changes. Dan didn't try it on, and neither did I... however, James wore it (the new one) for a day and a half and pronounced it "very comfortable".

The Mike's Special... I don't think I'd like one of those. Just a slight forward cant has always been my favored "angle".

Joel, if you want to receive yours before the end of the year, better order it NOW. He won't charge your card until he ships.

Might I offer a suggestion? The TT IWB is really for a medium to full size pistol. I think one would be semi "wasted" on a G26... one of the thinner Kydex offerings might be better, plus less wait time.

Just an idea...

I'm wondering if the G19 will wear better in a quality leather holster vs. the G26 in the CTAC.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Again, it depends on YOU as much as it does the holster quality. We saw in the class that a couple of holsters, thought to be the cat's ass, actually didn't work out so hot. One other, that looked to me like a total POS, turned out to be excellent for pangris.

What I'm saying is that kydex offers the thinnest material and smallest holsters available, and the G26 is small enough to use in it. My PERSONAL opinion is that a larger pistol (like the G19 and up) is better served by a leather holster with larger outside dimensions to keep it from squirming around.

Some folks like kydex better. You really need to try both before deciding. Just remember that quite a few of those crowing about the superiority of this or that have not even SEEN anything else... much less tried/worn it.;)

All I know is that the CTAC is damned uncomfortable. Now that's the straight kydex on flesh model, not the leather/kydex hybrid model. That said, i'm switching to leather regardless. Now it's just what gun. Decisions......decisions.......us poor college kids gotta get it right the first time. :rofl::rofl::D

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Quality-wise? Equal... that is to say, outstanding.

You ordered the 5J Presidential OWB, right? I have that specific one for the USPc, and another for the P7; simply the nicest "belt holster" (OWB) I've used. I don't have one for the G19 because I have that Rosen Express that you borrowed, and its ALMOST as good.

The second day of the Awerbuck class, I wore my OLD Sparks 55BN belt holster, mainly for nostalgia's sake. In its day, it was THE holster. That day has passed.

Anyway... if I hadn't already bought that Rosen Express on a whim, I'd be ordering a 5J Presidential for the Bowie Glock. Don't second-guess yourself, Doug... you got some primo gear.

Oh I wasn't second guessing I am just trying to get a feel for the pecking order of holsters.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What are your feelings towards the 'slimline' IWB TT offers. Seems like it would be a good compromise between kydex and reinforced (ie thick) leather for a G26.

I wouldn't. You will have issues with the holsters collapsing under your belt if you don't go reinforced.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I spoke with Tim about this specifically. He stated that the slim model was okay for occasional re-holstering... but if you anticipate ANY extended range/dry fire working session (which you should), he said go with the reinforced version, without a doubt.

Fair enough. I believe im gonna go with the reinforced IWB for the G26 strictly for the comfort factor. Then, I may splurge later for a VMII for my G19. Thanks for the help fellas. :)

Top Bottom