Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    Tucker Silent Thunder IWB Tuckable holster for 1911 style pistols.
    silentthunder.jpg

I'll start my review by saying this. I'm new to the 1911, my experience with the classic 1911 has been very good so far, and it's only getting better. About a month ago, I purchased a used two tone Charles Daly Superior grade 1911, and after realizing what a crappy holster I had, decided to look into a better holster.

I prefer rigid holsters, because I'm a very skinny guy, so keeping the holster and gun from flopping around is difficult, but I didn't want to get a plastic or Kydex holster because I wanted to preserve the finish of my new 1911. After doing some research I came across Tucker Gunleather, who had the perfect solution for me. A Kydex holster that's lined with leather, tuckable, and infinite cant and three height adjustments, with a sweat guard, called the Silent Thunder. I ordered one on the spot.

Customer service:
    I made the order late at night. The next day, around lunch time, I recieved a personalized email from Rob at Tucker Gunleather, confirming the order. He kept me updated frequently, and I recieved the holster two days after he shipped it. The website says it's a four week wait, I only waited two and a half weeks. Very impressive time for a handmade holster. I am very pleased with the customer service, and will be shopping with Tucker again.

The holster itself:
    The holster is very well made, very sturdy, and fits the gun extremely well. All edges are smoothed, to prevent any irritation to the wearer. The clip has three pivot points where it attaches, so that you can cant it to any angle you want, and any height you want, and has a small circle of leather in between it and the holster to create enough room for your shirt and prevent any scratching the holster. Provided with the holster is a small allen wrench to remove or tighten the screw that fastens the clip, and also to tighten the tension screws. The bottom edges are curled inward, I guess to prevent the gun from slipping down farther than it should, although this prevents using a pistol with a compensator on it. If you're going to use this for IDPA with a comped gun, get the longer one so it will fit. Or, just ask Rob at Tucker and I'm sure they can work with you.
    The sweat guard is the perfect length, covering the safety, and back left side of the slide. Right at the top of the sweat guard is where you will find the Tucker Gunleather logo, stamped very neatly into the leather lining. It is slightly angled outward so that it can clear the safety, which sometimes digs into my side when sitting if it's at a certain angle. I carry at a four o'clock FBI cant, almost small of back, but not quite. A whole day of car shopping, getting in and out of cars, and I barely noticed it was there.

Pistol fit and retention:
    My 1911 fits it extremely well. It slides right in, and does not move around, or shift in the holster. Retention depends on how tight you set the tension screws. Out of the box you can put your pistol in, hold it upside down and it won't fall out. It takes shaking it pretty hard to get it to fall out. Draw times are not affected at all, and one-handed reholstering is easily accomplished due to the ridgid Kydex.

Wear and concealability:
    Depending on how you carry, you might forget you're armed! This holster is very somfotable for a Kydex holster. The only problem I've had is the J-hook I ordered, which puts the weight of the gun on your pants, and not the belt. I've started wearing the clip over the belt instead of the pants for this reason, but it could just be that I'm too skinny, and my pants don't fit. As far as concealability, my girlfriend says she can always tell when I'm carrying because I look fatter on one side, or I've got a sharp spot sticking out of my shirt from the beavertail. Wearing this holster around her for 3 days, she actually asked me, "Why aren't you carrying?" To which I replied, "I am." She was shocked. See for yourself.

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

The fact that this holster is tuckable is a big plus. I rarely have the opportunity to tuck my shirt in with an IWB holster, and it is a treat with this holster. It easily conceals however you want it too.

Conclusion:
    I love this holster! If you like the rigid nature of Kydex, and the smell of leather, then this holster is for you! Thanks Rob!

WhiteRabbit22

US Navy, Belle Chasse LA.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Marrero LA.
    Yeah, I'm thinking this Calvin Klein leather belt isn't gonna cut it. I bought it because it's nice and rigid, but I think I can get one even more rigid. I'd like to get one with holes every 1/2 inch instead of every inch, that way I can adjust it even finer depending on whether I'm carrying, and what pants I'm wearing.

Rob Longenecker

Industry Representative
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for your nice posts and pics.

Yeah, I'm thinking this Calvin Klein leather belt isn't gonna cut it. I bought it because it's nice and rigid, but I think I can get one even more rigid. I'd like to get one with holes every 1/2 inch instead of every inch, that way I can adjust it even finer depending on whether I'm carrying, and what pants I'm wearing.

Thanks for the nice post about the Silent Thunder.
    A good gunbelt will be a good move to spread the weight of your gun over a much larger area for comfort and to prevent sagging.

Most makers give a choice of 5 holes and inch apart (std) or 7 holes 3/4" apart.

Rob

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks for the nice post about the Silent Thunder.
    A good gunbelt will be a good move to spread the weight of your gun over a much larger area for comfort and to prevent sagging.

Most makers give a choice of 5 holes and inch apart (std) or 7 holes 3/4" apart.

Rob

Absolutely. After wearing a gun belt for a while, I don't even know how I used regular belts.

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA

I've been wearing HighNoon Holsters' belts for over 5 years. The ONLY reason I had to go from one to another was due to weight loss. Their belts are the most comfortable and durable I've seen. They're not cheap, but you'll go through at least 5 cheaper belts and the HighNoon will still be going strong.

FWIW, I'm 100% sold on HighNoon's products. I've been using their holsters for about 6 years. There's a reason their wait time is long. Their leatherwork isn't frilly, but the quality and attention to detail is amazing.

brianb

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'm having a gunbelt made by an inmate at Angola. Once I get it I'll be sure to do a write up with pictures and maybe we can get more made.

Top Bottom