Update on CCW Bills In Louisiana Legislature

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Dear Louisiana CCW Instructor:

We wanted to alert you to two committee hearings this week on bills affecting concealed handgun permit holders. You can find the text of these bills at http://www.legis.state.la.us. Please contact lawmakers on behalf of these measures, and please forward this important information to email lists of your students or fellow gun club members!

Senate Bill 142, an NRA-backed carry permit confidentiality bill sponsored by Sen. Steve Scalise (R-Harahan), will be considered by the Senate Judiciary B Committee this coming Tuesday, April 29, at 9:30 am in Senate Committee Room E.

Louisiana Revised Statutes 40:1379.3(A)(2)(a) currently provides that the name, address and date of birth of anyone issued a concealed handgun permit by the Department of Public Safety Corrections shall be public record. We believe this needs to change. This is not a business or occupational license – a concealed carry permit is an option for a personal security plan, and it should not be a matter of public record.

Please call and email the committee members below and urge them to support SB 142:
    Note: All State Senators can be reached during the week in Baton Rouge at
    (225) 342-2040
    Chairman Danny Martiny (R-Metairie) martinyd@legis.state.la.us
    Vice-Chairman David Heitmeier (D-New Orleans) heitmeid@legis.state.la.us
    Sen. Don Cravins, Jr. (D-Lafayette) cravinsd@legis.state.la.us
    Sen. Dale Erdey (R-Livingston) erdeyd@legis.state.la.us
    Sen. Butch Gautreaux (D-Morgan City) lasen21@legis.state.la.us
    Sen. Eric LaFleur (D-Ville Platte) lafleure@legis.state.la.us
    Sen. Rob Marionneaux (D-Livonia) lasen17@legis.state.la.us

House Bill 199, NRA-supported legislation sponsored by Rep. Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse) that would allow permit holders to carry on college and university campuses, will be considered by the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee this coming Thursday, May 1, at 9:30 am in Committee Room 6.

Louisiana Revised Statutes Section 14:95.2 prohibits the possession of firearms on school property and within 1,000 feet of any school campus. No exception is made for concealed handgun permit holders. Additionally, Louisiana’s concealed carry law, LRS 40:1379.3(N)(11), prohibits permittees from carrying their handguns in any school “firearm-free” zone. We believe this needs to change. The Virginia Tech tragedy, and the subsequent shootings at Louisiana Technical College and Northern Illinois University, have caused legislators in more than a dozen states to re-examine school policies and “gun-free” school zone laws. Did a “gun-free” school zone law in Illinois, or a zero-tolerance policy of the Virginia Tech administration, prevent such attacks? No, but they ensured that law-abiding students and faculty wanting to avoid arrest, expulsion, or suspension would be unarmed when one did occur.

Please call and email the committee members below and urge them to support HB 199:

Note: All State Representatives can be reached during the week in Baton Rouge at (225) 342-6945
    Chairman Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse)
    larep105@legis.state.la.us * Note: Chairman Wooton is the bill sponsor - please thank him for his support!
    Vice-Chairman Damon Baldone (D-Houma) larep053@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Roy Burrell (D-Shreveport) larep002@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Don Cazayoux (D-New Roads)blarep18@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Elbert Guillory (D-Opelousas) larep040@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Mickey Guillory (D-Eunice) larep041@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Chris Hazel (R-Pineville) hazelc@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Frankie Howard (R-Many) howardf@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Joseph Lopinto (R-Metairie) lopintoj@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Nick Lorusso (R-New Orleans) larep094@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Barbara Norton (D-Baton Rouge) nortonb@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. John Schroder (R-Covington) schrodej@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Gary Smith (D-Norco) larep56@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Ricky Templet (R-Gretna) templetr@legis.state.la.us
    Rep. Bodi White (R) * Note: Rep. White has signed on as a co-author to HB 199 - please thank him for his support! larep064@legis.state.la.us

Thank you for your interest and support. We will keep you posted as these bills move through the legislative process.

Sincerely,

Tara Reilly Mica
    NRA-ILA State Liaison
    Cell (512) 636-9314
    tmica@nrahq.org

jgwalt1

Straight Edge
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Please everybody write and call!!

We're organizing a group of students to go to the committee hearing on Thursday to show support and a few will testify. If anybody wants to go to the hearing at the Captial we sure would appreciate it!!!

-JP Gwaltney
    SCCC Campus Leader - LSU

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    For people attending the hearing, I know this is a big "DUH" but everyone should remember to leave their CC weapons, their backup weapons, magazines, and bullets in the car BEFORE EXITING THEIR VEHICLE.

There are metal detectors as you enter the capitol, they may search you thoroughly, and we sure as hell don't need any of us getting arrested for illegal carrying of a weapon right before they talk about this issue.

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    if you are not a member of the NRA you should join.You w/get emails concerning anything new thats happening in the usa w/firearms.I am a recruiter,i always try to get people to join up every oppertunity i have.Its that important to me....Please join if you are not a member.The mebers pay 35.00 a year and you get benafits that cover that cost....the info is priceless.

Its good to see forums like this that get the word out on these issues.Hats off to the fellows who keep this place rolling day to day....I know its not easy...I run a forum myself...Mine is a majority women,Lord,never a dull moment,LOL>..Keeps me on my toes....Plumeriaaddiction.com if anyone likes Plumeria plants.Thats my other hobby..LOL>..

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Also dress well and be polite. Leave the rabble rousing crowd scene to the antis.

Exactly.

Walk to the hearing room, have a seat and watch the show. There will be a number of people ready to speak in support of the bills. You probably won't need to speak, but you have that right. (When I say "need to speak," the sentiment among the committee members are generally supportive of any "gun rights" bill.)

Don't stop outside the Capitol, or in the hallways, to confront or rebut the "antis." They love attention. They will essentially be ignored in the committee hearing room. You need to ignore them as well........hopefully they will drive home thinking they made a wasted trip since nobody paid any attention to them.

please do NOT wear camos, or your favorite T-shirt with those witty statements ("From my cold dead hands"). We are already, all too often, portrayed as stereotypes.......and we really don't need to perpetuate the image. "Dress well" means "like you would when you go to church."

Top Bottom