Uspsa/ipsc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloopy70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2006
    DeRidder, LA
    I'm curious as to how many people here shoot uspsa matches regularly with a club. We shoot every 4th saturday of the month, unless we reschedule for some reason, but its pretty consistent. We usually have alteast 4 stages, and around 20 shooters most of the time. We shoot in Leesville. If anyone on here has matches within an hour or so of Leesville let me know, and if anyone would like to come shoot with us just leave me a message, at our club the first time you shoot with us you shoot for free... Thanks :)

sloopy70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2006
    DeRidder, LA
    we have some guys going to the "Gator Classic" in Thibodeaux I think... if thats where its held... I've heard its gonna be HUGE, and that most of the shooters are actually from out of state, and have heard some pretty big names... I'ma try to get our VP to take some video while hes there...

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    It's going to be great. A lot the Baton Rouge area shooters are going to Area 4 next month. I guess that's not too far for your area shooters.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    Idpa

LPS972,

There's an IDPA match the first Saturday of each month in Amite at the sheriff's over there. The detail are under the Tangi Practical Shooters section at:

www.lagator.org.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    No IDPA. Lots of other competitions. I couldn't tell you all of them. Mostly the same guys around here shoot all four of the IPSC clubs and also the IDPA match. Since it's all the same guys, one IDPA match a month is about all that we have a market for. However it's never really been promoted, (mostly since nearly all the guys shooting it are IPSC shooters just messing around with it) I think that there could be a market for an IDPA club at Ascension if it were run by some guys interested in IDPA as a first choice. Also there would have to be an open day at Ascension.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    I actually enjoy the hell out of IDPA but have to work Saturdays. I have to agree that the IDPA matches need to be run by IDPA guys, I love IPSC but IPSC guys tend to bend the rules a little when it comes to IDPA.

In the meantime The Gator Classic was a great match.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    I believe the fees were $10 for new shooters but it's been a while.

I know you have to exit off of I55 at Amite and head east on Hwy 16 into town. Unfortunately the range is at the end of a side road, I can drive it but I can't give directions to it, sorry.

As for bending the rules, it's probably just me and sour grapes. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs and don't take kindly to people who are four times my size penalizing me for having an elbow sticking out from behind cover when the RO's bodies don't even fit behind the cover provided. The game is fun, but if you shoot at Amite don't expect it to be an absolutely perfect match.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    That's not exactly how I meant it. I was just trying to say that the core group of guys that run practical shooting matches in the area have their plate full, so IDPA is not really promoted a lot in our area. But I agree in spirit with what you say.

Last edited:

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    I'm pretty sure they shoot IDPA the first Saturday of the month. That would have been the fourth. If anyone wants contact info. for the Amite group send me an email or personnel message.

The simplest way to find the range is take hwy 16 into Amite. Turn right at the second light past the rail road crossing. Follow this street to the end and turn left. Follow that road till almost the end and you'll see a sign and gate on the left for the range.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom